busy mom needs help!

Options
:smile:
ok you busy moms how and when are you finding time to excersise? I just cant seem to squeeze any extra time in. Help how do you do it? any tips for quick things I can do during a stretch break or something at work? I know that if I started it would help this weight come off just need more time in the day....

Replies

• 14bound
    14bound Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm having the same problem! A friend of mine and I started walkling at lunch. Started out at a mile and did our first 2 miles today.
  • TracyTucci
    TracyTucci Posts: 35
    Options
    When i take my daughter to the park i walk around the play area to get a mile in. If i am making dinner and baking something i jump on the treadmill during that baking time. It is very hard to squeez in any time to find time for yourself. Good luck!!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    The best thing that worked for me was to get up early. I get up at 5AM and either go for a run or pop in a Jillian Michaels DVD.

That way it's done and out of the way before anyone else in the house even wakes up.

Prior to that, I would walk a few miles at a track on my lunch break.
  • DianatheRed
    DianatheRed Posts: 41
    Options
    I get up at 4:00 a.m. three days a week to walk/jog. Two days a week, I wait for the husband to get home so I can go. The other times, I exercise with the family or just try to squeeze in time after everyone is in bed! I have found myself turning on the radio and just dancing with my children! They think its silly, and I get a little movement in. Walking helps any time! Just make an effort to move more-take the long way around at the office, park further out, take stairs, eat at your desk so you can walk during lunch. Every little bit helps :)
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    walk the long walk to the restroom
    park farther away from the front door
    push ups are the cure for boredom

with kids: It depends on their age, but kids keep you on your toes and give you plenty of opportunity to exercise! When my son was a baby, I'd run with him in a stroller and do push ups and sit ups as part of games with him. When he got older, I got a tandem bike and we would bike him to and from school (I did all the pedalling of course). When he could ride a bike on his own, he would ride his bike while I would run- a good five miles. Then i got him a speedometer and he would be my little "personal trainer" and tell me how fast I was going. Now we rock climb together, surf together, he does his homework at the gym while I pump iron. When he is done with his homework, he works out too.

don't forget, housework is exercise! You may be deadlifting 2 lbs toys, but you're doing deadlifts all day! Don't under-estimate that!

Hit me up if you want more ideas! I lost 50 lbs!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I workout after DD is in bed. Sometimes, this means that I'm not done until after 11:00, but that's what works. Many people get up extra early instead or workout during their lunch break at work. You can also look for office exercises on Youtube to give you ideas on quick things you can do (keeping in mind that there is no rule that says you have to do the exercises all in one shot; you can break it up into shorter segments).
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I do P90X. The exercises range anywhere from an hour to an 1 1/2 hours. I get up at 5am to get them done in time to shower, get dressed, get my kids up for school, and leave for work. My kids are 7, 11, and 13 so I as I am at work I am hoping that they get themselves out the door in time for school. My hours of work are 7:30 to 4:30 because I work a modified work week.
  • dezaraepeeples
    dezaraepeeples Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Make a point every hour to get up and walk (especially if your business has stairs you can use, walk up and down them a time or two).
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, i agree with the walk on your lunch break idea.
    and the playground is just a great place to work out. Running, jogging, chin ups, all sorts of action can happen on a playground!
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I keep some dumbbells on hand and do some sets while the kids are eating.
    I put on Zumba while the kids are playing outside.
    I workout hard while my son naps.

No matter how busy I get I will find time to workout. It is my :me" time and the best thing I do for myself.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I workout after my kids go to bed at night. i was afraid I'd never find the energy but now it's habit and I exercise 5-6 nights per week. I also usually exercise 1 morning, but I have to be to work at 7:30 AND my kids get up early so that's harder for me.
  • Alexis14351
    Alexis14351 Posts: 23
    Options
    I take my kids for walks 3-4 days a week, otherwise I wait for them to go to bed because I am NOT a morning person! :)
  • hperowl
    hperowl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    There are so many things you can do to just add a little bit of oomph to your day! When you park your car - go the the far end of the lot and 'power' walk to the building. When you're doing dishes or cooking - toe raises to work your calves. Do push-ups against the wall or tricep dips on a chair. Jumping jacks are amazing! They boost your heart rate and work out key muscles. When you are with the kids, take them for walks, encourage them to try some yoga with you (my younger ones really like this). Have family races around the yard or a mini 'boot-camp' with the family. (the kids will love trying to beat mom and it's a great way to include them into your healthier lifestyle! These are just some of the things that work for me. Hope it helps!
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I make it a priority before bed. After I get the kids to bed for the night, I usually do dishes or get laundry in the washer/dryer. Then I set aside an hour to workout before shower and bed, even if it means I don't get to bed until 11-12 at night.
  • emilyhawarah
    Options
    The best thing that worked for me was to get up early. I get up at 5AM and either go for a run or pop in a Jillian Michaels DVD.

That way it's done and out of the way before anyone else in the house even wakes up.

Prior to that, I would walk a few miles at a track on my lunch break.

^^ This for sure. I make it a priority by getting up at 4:30. I also walk around the parking lot at work on my lunch break when I have time and make sure to do something active with my daughter when we get home in the evening. If I miss one of the three, I still have the others and have made sure to get in some cardio.
  • dmarie1181
    dmarie1181 Posts: 23
    Options
    I have been known to walk on my breaks at work (I haven't done it lately but need to start again).

I go walking/jogging at night after both my kids are in bed. That way I don't feel guilty for not spending more time with them since I am away from them 10 hours a day. I also sometime take the kids on walks and I do things with my 4 year old to keep her active too like jumping on the trampoline or dancing along when she plays the Just Dance for Kids game on the PS3, and playing frisbee.
  • Tashry
    Tashry Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I always figured I had no time either, but the truth is if you want it to be a priority you will just have to make the time. A quick break at work just won't give you the results. I don't feel guilty plunking my kids in front of the tv for 30 minutes if it means I can do my 30DS. I've also popped them into a stroller and taken them with me on a jog, or gone for nature walks with my 2 year old on my shoulders and the 5 year old walking beside me. I head out to the park and play football or soccer with my son. If you've got your hubby at home he can watch them while you go to the gym, or find a gym with a daycare service. There are ways to do it, you just need to make it a priority. A healthy, happy mom is important and worth the time each day she spends away from other tasks.
  • CristlNothem
    CristlNothem Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am a single mom, work 50 hours a week and have a 3 year old. I went and bought a Jillian Michael s DVD that I now do at night, whether it is while he is awake playing Captain America, or like last night at 10:30 before i went to sleep. JM has great DVDs and the one i am doing is only 24 mins long and you definitely sweat like crazy the whole way through!!!
  • iuali81
    iuali81 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This was my problem/excuse for a long time. I have small children, so they aren't in activities yet, which probably makes it a little easier. That being said, when they are awake, they are needy! I work out after they go to bed a 8 pm. It's, most times, the last thing I want to do at 8 at night, but it was that or nothing. You can also get up before they do if you are a morning person. I am not. I also work out on my lunch break sometimes, but I dont' get that opportunity very often. I also just joined a personal traniner/group training gym. I just had to decide that I was going to make some time for myself. My kids and husband will benefit from a healthier, happier me too!

I also wanted to add that I agree with the poster above me. I do Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred dvd after the kids go to bed. It only takes 25 mins and it's a great workout!
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels - 6am (30day Shred currently) It's only 25 min (with stretching)
    Eat Breakfast with kids, get ready for work and get them ready for school
    When my husband comes home he takes over the school prep (he works nights)
    Work
    Lunch break walk 1.5 miles (1/2 hour)

come home from work, dinner play with the kids, laundry etc....
    depending on the day/weather I use my eliptical for 1/2 hour or I walk with a couple of ladies from the neighborhood, and my dog for an hour.

When I get back I get everything ready for the next day, say good bye to the Hubby and go to bed.

I have rest days in there and the weekends I tend to walk and not do the videos, as we have football practice and the weekends are the only times I'm able to get chores done.

I have 6 year old twin boys and a 4 year old daughter. As long as I keep everything scheduled and prep the night before it works.

Good luck I hope someone has a schedule/suggestion that will fit into your schedule!