BBQ Food

Options
pixiee88
pixiee88 Posts: 52
I'm going to a BBQ on Sunday, which is being hosted by my cousin. I can't think of anything worse whilst I'm trying to be healthy...it's far too easy to overeat at a BBQ. I don't want to seem anti-social by not eating much, so I'd like to take some healthy side dishes with me, for everyone to share, that I can fill up on. I'm sure she will make a salad as she usually does, and I'm going to make some coleslaw, but does anyone have any other suggestions or recipes that I can make to take with me? Even salad dressing recipes would be massively appreciated!

Please help me, and stop me going crazy and ruining all my hard work! :bigsmile:

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Honestly? One day isn't going to derail your work. And may in fact be good for your body and mind. My suggestion would be to go and enjoy. Have a burger and a hot dog. Get some potato salad and baked beans. Whatever.

Remember, this is a lifestyle change. Not a diet. Food isn't restricted ... just eaten in moderation.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Honestly? One day isn't going to derail your work. And may in fact be good for your body and mind. My suggestion would be to go and enjoy. Have a burger and a hot dog. Get some potato salad and baked beans. Whatever.

Remember, this is a lifestyle change. Not a diet. Food isn't restricted ... just eaten in moderation.

^^^ This - one day will not kill you. Restricting can be detrimental and make you feel deprived which usually leads to falling flat on ones face. Enjoy the day and the BBQ. :drinker:
  • jend711
    jend711 Posts: 8
    Options
    Agreed...well said!!
  • pixiee88
    pixiee88 Posts: 52
    Options
    The thing is, my birthday is the week after, and I'd like to save my little indulgence until then. I do intend to have a burger, but if I don't have something else to go with it, I'd probably end up with two burgers, or hotdogs, or chicken legs, or all of them! And then there's the pringles and high calorie dips always floating around. I'd just like some healthy stuff to go with it so I don't overeat :smile:
  • msradio
    msradio Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Grilled chickec and fish also veggie tray or fruit tray. U can google low cal bbq dishes and their are alot of great ideas!
  • lad323
    lad323 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I always make a lettuce free salad to take to events like this. It's a big hit with everyone. You can modify it to your taste, any veggie will do but this is my favorite:
    2 cucumbers sliced
    1 tomatoes sliced in small wedges
    1/2 cup raw onion diced
    1 package feta cheese
    1 can/jar black pitted or Greek olives pitted
    mushroom slices (whatever kind I have, raw or canned)
    bell peper slices (any color)
    1/2 bottle balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing OR 1 cup Italian salad dressing and 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    Just chop everything up put in a large bowl and cover with the dressing. Let in sit in the fridge and marinate. Serve with a slotted spoon. It’s also great served over lettuce.

***Oh I forgot, chick peas are great in this too***