Treadmill or Outside

Options
What do you think is better? Treadmill run/jog or doing it outside??

and why do you think its better?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Both.
    Treadmill is somewhat easier. But it's also easier on your body.
    I alternate.

I'm not looking to race, or anything like that, just continue to improve my cardiovascular fitness.
  • Fallen_Angel226
    Options
    Personally I like outside better (unless it's bad weather). I love nature, and also I think the natural variations in the landscape help do more to tone muscles than walking on a treadmill
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Outside

1) Simulates conditions of a race.
    2) More effort with wind/balance.
    3) Id rather look at stuff outside than a crappy little TV screen or whatever other sights are in my gym.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I feel clumsy and uncoordinated on the treadmill.

I feel like I push myself more and like I can keep going when I'm outside.

I say outside is better in general, but inside on the treadmill is good if you need to fall back on it.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Outside. It is much more interesting, and you burn more calories.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I prefer outside, I like it more, and it helps me clear my head more. Also, no worries about germs or worrying what other people think of me. That being said, I like that the treadmill gives you your speed & calories burned, too.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Treadmill is better for me because I can easily control and maintain my pace.
  • emc1014
    emc1014 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love the outside but the treadmill keeps me at a steady pace for a set amount of time :)
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    As far as calorie burn/training, I'm not an expert on that. But I know I prefer to do it outside because I find the change in scenery and the fresh air more motivating and makes the workout go by faster
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Outside is so much better for me. My HR stays lower even at if I'm going at the same pace as on a treadmill, and I find it enjoyable versus drudgery. I don't watch the minutes count down, I just....run. It's great. I only use the treadmill for sprint or hill intervals if I can help it.
  • debidietel069
    debidietel069 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like the treadmill myself only because I can control the incline and speed.. works better for me and keeps me on track.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Outside. I run on the treadmill about 3 times a year, every one of them reluctantly.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Obviously running/walking outside is better for you because there is more change in the terrain and you will burn more but treadmill is great for when you can't get out or a little extra workout
  • mjgregg12
    mjgregg12 Posts: 36
    Options
    I prefer outside. I find myself fixating on the numbers on the treadmill, while outside, it's just me, my iPod and my thoughts. I can go for much longer outside, too. The other day, I did 90 minutes with no problems!
  • Starsighter78
    Starsighter78 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Outside! I'll use the dreadmill if the weather isn't cooperating, but for whatever reason time/distance seems to go A LOT quicker when you're outside.
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    We used to have a treadmill and im desperate for another. Im the kind of person though that when i had the treadmill i felt so bored of it and would rather be outdoors running but now that i don't have the luxery of the treadmill i really do wish i had one. I like that fact that if i look dog rough it doesnt matter cause im in doors plus if the weather isnt good then its great having the treamill. But like i say, if i had one again i do think i'd get bored and want to be outside lol.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I feel clumsy and uncoordinated on the treadmill.

I feel like I push myself more and like I can keep going when I'm outside.

This for me!
  • NICOLED73
    NICOLED73 Posts: 183
    Options
    Outside, unless it's freezing or 100 degrees. I like the change of scenery.
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Personally I like outside better (unless it's bad weather). I love nature, and also I think the natural variations in the landscape help do more to tone muscles than walking on a treadmill
    Although like i just said, i want a treadmill again, i do agree with this.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the dreadmill, makes my shins hurt. I like being outside and having a change of scenery, keeps my mind moving. Also, running outside better prepares me for my races.