Carb Blocker ??

Options
valerie521
valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
Anyone using a carb blocker that they find really helps ??

My problem is Friday nights is pizza night at my house (and a nice salad). But I'm tired of watching everyone in
my house chow on the pizza and I get salad and my same ole same ole. Wondered if I added a carb blocker
for situations like that, if it really does seem to help

OR is this another way for me to come up with eating the devil food :)

I'm watching what i eat by logging, but I certainly dont want to feel SO guilty after a piece of the pie ! :laugh: :laugh:

Replies

• shan_0517
    shan_0517 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've found a whole wheat pizza dough and add a bunch of veggies, no cheese or any other bad stuff! Tastes pretty good and still feels like I'm getting away with something bad :) You should just make your own, while the rest of the fam chows down.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

My problem is Friday nights is pizza night at my house (and a nice salad). But I'm tired of watching everyone in
    my house chow on the pizza and I get salad and my same ole same ole. Wondered if I added a carb blocker

I'm watching what i eat by logging, but I certainly dont want to feel SO guilty after a piece of the pie ! :laugh: :laugh:

They are ineffective, just budget cals for the pizza and enjoy. Or just eat it and go over your goal for the day, one day won't really set you back
  • Kdra_204
    Kdra_204 Posts: 7
    Options
    Sorry I can't answer your question about Carb Blocker. I've never used it...

Recently I tried making cauliflower pizza crust and it was very tasty!

Here is the recipe: http://www.recipegirl.com/2012/01/16/cauliflower-crust-hawaiian-pizza/

Of course nothing really can beat eating a greasy slice of pizza but maybe making a healthy pizza will help!
  • valerie521
    Options
    Sorry I can't answer your question about Carb Blocker. I've never used it...

Recently I tried making cauliflower pizza crust and it was very tasty!

Here is the recipe: http://www.recipegirl.com/2012/01/16/cauliflower-crust-hawaiian-pizza/

Of course nothing really can beat eating a greasy slice of pizza but maybe making a healthy pizza will help!

OMG --- I just looked at the photo's... Looks amazing.
  • pachamb
    pachamb Posts: 52
    Options

Monday night is pizza night in my house. There is a local pizza place that sells a gluten free pizza its a thin crust and is amazing :D I found it has half the carbs of your regular slice of pizza pie. You can also buy (and this isn't as good) a gluten free crust from your local grocery store and put the toppings from the pizza on it. Just some ideas I use I LOVE PIZZA as well and couldn't live without it and I am on a low carb diet.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    pre-plan your day and eat the pizza and make sure it fits your allowance and macros. If all else fails do a workout that day, which gives you extra calories to eat.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You can't find a way to enjoy a piece of pizza with the family once a week without feeling guilty? That sounds like a problem to me. No one is saying you have to eat the entire pizza, but come on, how sustainable is this for you if you feel guilty about a once a week meal?
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    agreed! have to try
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    You can't find a way to enjoy a piece of pizza with the family once a week without feeling guilty? That sounds like a problem to me. No one is saying you have to eat the entire pizza, but come on, how sustainable is this for you if you feel guilty about a once a week meal?

^ These are important questions IMO.
  • hastenbeck
    hastenbeck Posts: 35
    Options
    bump for the cauliflower pizza
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    We have pizza every Friday night. I budget for the calories and enjoy two slices and some garlic butter! Nothing wrong with eating "normal" food - and enjoying it!

Also - what kind of message does it send your kids about food if you won't eat pizza with them on Fridays? That if you are overweight you have to be punished with salad and you can't eat normal food? Why not teach them to enjoy "bad" foods in moderation while having an overall healthy attitude about weight?
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    They are ineffective, just budget cals for the pizza and enjoy. Or just eat it and go over your goal for the day, one day won't really set you back

^ This ^

Try getting the thin crust and skip the fatty meats (sausage & pepperoni). There are a lot less calories and still a pretty good flavor. No magic pills, carb blockers, colon cleansers, ad nausium... Just put in some more exercise and budget in the calories. I LOVE pizza and often have it on Friday nights.
  • valerie521
    Options

Yeah... a problem I have -- that is why I'm here !!
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Moderation and calorie deficit. That's the key to success.
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I agree: either find an interesting alternative or enjoy less of it :glasses: My trick is to eat some edamame beans on the side... that way I get more protein and healthy fats and less sodium and grease. Hope that helps!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Moderation and calorie deficit. That's the key to success.

^^^ agreed!

When I was finally able to stick to it is when I made it about a lifestyle change, not a diet. If I can't enjoy my favorite foods I am sure I would fail and I did in the past. I eat whatever I want within reason.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Save your money.....

"Are carb blocker pills effective in blocking carbohydrate absorption? Early reports and researches are not very convincing. However, recent studies at the Mayo Clinic seem to suggest that much higher doses than those found in most commercial carb blocker pills did slow carbohydrate absorption but was not proven that they could help people to lose weight. "

http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/2119/1/Do-Carb-BlockerStarch-Blocker-Pills-Work.html
  • CapsFan17
    CapsFan17 Posts: 198
    Options
    pre-plan your day and eat the pizza and make sure it fits your allowance and macros. If all else fails do a workout that day, which gives you extra calories to eat.

I second this ^^^

My husband loves cheese fries and I do to. So I make room for it, or go for a walk after dinner. If this is a lifestyle change you can't cut out the yummy stuff completely. Some food just taste to good to let go of.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Maybe make it a once a month treat and on the other weeks make something healthier from scratch with the kids that you all like and eat it all together so your still getting a family night. X
  • slukas73
    slukas73 Posts: 1
    Options
    I say you make the cauliflower-crust-hawaiian-pizza....that looks yummy!! :smile: