1200 Calorie a day diet-- Need some insight :)

Options
Hi! I'm new to this and was wondering if you could give me some insight. My goal is to lose 40lbs. I'm on a 1200 calorie a day diet, cutting out bad Carbs and only drinking water. I'm hoping to lose 3-4lbs a week. I was wondering how long it took some of you to lose the weight you have lost and on average how much you lost each week? Did you include anything else in your diet or did you just stick to 1200 calories a day? Any information would be really helpful! I'm trying to stay motivated ;)

Replies

• KL124
    KL124 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I'm on a 1200 calorie diet now. I've read that if you weight less than 200 pounds, it's safe to lose at most 2 pounds a week. My goal is to lose about one pound a week, and usually it's a little less than that. I would of course recommend exercising too, simply because then you can eat more to make up for the calories that you use. I'm not a nutritionist or expert here, but I would recommend setting your goals to lost 5 pounds at a time, and to plan on losing only 1-2 pounds a week. It can be daunting wanting to lose a lot of weight quickly.
  • Kayurtle
    Kayurtle Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks! I tried WW a few years ago and it worked great! This is similiar so I'm hoping to get close to the same results. I do plan to include some exercise during the week. I love walking and riding my bike! Are you just sticking to the 1200 calorie diet or have you cut other things out as well?
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I have cut out junk food. And during the week I don't eat fruit or starchy carbs. I eat veggies, beans/lentils, and protein for every meal. Have a 'cheat' day once a week. I work out 6-7 days a week. I eat back some if not all of my exercise calories. I started on 1/1/11 at 303.4lbs. I am currently at 192.2lbs (down 111.2lbs). I'm 30 years old, 5'6''.
  • FunandFitMom
    FunandFitMom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hey there...I've got 38 lbs to go and am on the 1200 calorie plan also. When I'm doing what I'm supposed to, I typically lose 1-2 pounds per week. I'm going for the lifestyle change as opposed to rapid weight loss - small weekly changes to diet and increasing exercise.
  • janesworld
    janesworld Posts: 17
    Options
    I was on 1200-1400 calories for the past 6-7 months (1200 on the days I didn't work out, 1400 on the days I worked out).... I lost 33 lbs during that time. I was REALLY determined and REALLY strict in the first few months, then I eased up sometimes (not always) on the weekends and/or Holidays (having a few glasses of wine, eating a bit more calories)... but I made sure not to go too overboard and I always, ALWAYS went right back to 1200-1400 calories on Monday. I worked out 3 times per week, one hour of cardio per workout. I am now about 2 lbs away from my goal and I also now work out 5 days per week, so, I have increased my calories to about 1400 per day. Add me as a friend if you want for support :) Good luck to you....
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I'm around a 1200-1400 diet. If I work out, I eat back my calories so my net is at least 1200.

It's been working for me so far. I eat alot too (diary is open).
  • Kayurtle
    Kayurtle Posts: 4
    Options
    Congrats!! Good for you!! I'm currently at 194lbs and would like to get down to 150lbs. I really want to do this! I'm so motivated. I'm tired of feeling bad about myself. I don't even like to go out places, I'm so insecure. Thanks for your reply!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    3-4lbs a week might not be realistic! If you look at your goals section on mfp it will tell you how much of a deficit you're creating and how much you should be able to lose each week. For me, 1200 calories a day results in a deficit large enough for a 1.8lb loss/week. If you except to lose double that, you'll end up disappointed!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I don't cut out anything...at all! I eat whatever I want as long as I can work it in my 1200 calorie limit! And if you exercise, you can eat a little more! pay attention to your net calories (which mfp will set up after you add in your exercise calories)!

If cutting out certain types of food makes it easier for you, then do it, just know that you don't have to!
  • BabeedollB
    BabeedollB Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have cut out junk food. And during the week I don't eat fruit or starchy carbs. I eat veggies, beans/lentils, and protein for every meal. Have a 'cheat' day once a week. I work out 6-7 days a week. I eat back some if not all of my exercise calories. I started on 1/1/11 at 303.4lbs. I am currently at 192.2lbs (down 111.2lbs). I'm 30 years old, 5'6''.
    Wow!!! Awesome accomplishment!!!
  • HYBRIDXXX
    HYBRIDXXX Posts: 86
    Options
    3-4 LBS A WEEK IS NT SAFE BT 2 IS OK. U PROBABLY WILL NT FEEL 2 WELL BCZ OF DEPRIVATION. U WILL B CREATING OVER A 10,000 CALORIE DEFICIT A WEEK. DATZ INSUFFICIENT
  • tezarozaboza
    tezarozaboza Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi

Before I had baby I lost about 2lb per week on the 1200 cal per day diet. It was steady weight loss and while I stuck to it the weight stayed off so I am now doing this again now baby is here. I have a treat day though which is Mondays. I don't overeat but I eat what I want and don't count calories (its mainly a carb fest for example toast for breakkie, a baguette for lunch, chips for tea and choc for snack). This does not seem to affect the rest of the week and I still lost weight doing this.

I think if you don't treat yourself you end up cheating.

xx
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    1200 calories B.E. (before exercise) here, too. I average a 1-2 pound a week loss. But I also eat back my exercise calories...and I run A LOT! It sounds like you are well versed in the healthy eating aspect so my only advice is that exercise and movement on a regular basis will get you where you really want to be for your LIFE (not just for the short term).

Good luck to you! Feel free to add me.

I'm 5'4"

HW: 252
    SW: 178 (January 2012)
    CW: 160
    GW: 140 (but maybe lower once I get there!)
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200 cal a day I dont typically eat back my exercise cals, though if I really want something and can work it into my 1200 cals I go for it. I dont cut out anything all together but pay careful attention to portions. I have lost 100 lbs but it has taken me 21 mths. some weeks I have lost 4 lbs and some weeks I havent lost any , there are many weeks I have only lost a few oz but it all adds up. The important thing is to just stick with it and dont give up
  • krystle_swope
    Options
    I tried the 1200 a day as MFP recommended and it just wasn't feasible. Everyone is different and you will find what works for you, but I've been consistenly eating 1500 cals a day along with working out 5 days a week. I cut out fast food and fried food and while it was a bumpy road, I am down 29.5 lbs since July last year. Started out at 5'3" 155 lbs and now I'm 125.5.

My only recommendation is don't get discouraged by the scale!
  • StaceyAnnMurray
    StaceyAnnMurray Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hello! Im pretty new too and doing 1200 calories a day..I lost 4 lbs so far. I started the gym on Monday Im sore but Im determined! Add me if you like and good luck to you!

Stacey
  • cwatson1214
    cwatson1214 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Good for you!! I'm currently at 194lbs and would like to get down to 150lbs. I really want to do this! I'm so motivated. I'm tired of feeling bad about myself. I don't even like to go out places, I'm so insecure. Thanks for your reply!

Sounds just like me. I was so self conscious about my weight, whenever someone said the word fat, i assumed they were talking about me. I started at 223lbs now I am at 197. My original goal was 150, but now i am chaning that to 130. I am 5'2. I figured if I am going to work this hard why not get the results I want, instead of settling.

I have tried everything in the past. This time around if different for some reason, but i am not going to complain. I started out using this site just to count calories but not changing my eating habits except for portion control. I quickly learned that changing what I ate allowed me to eat more during the day. I started slowly with the exercise and moved it up a notch little by little.

Some days are easy , more days are hard. I lost that 18 lbs quickly at first. Now it is more slow, but I am also learning the the scale can be my enemy (check out recent post). It is more about how clothes are fitting because of inches lost.

Keep at it. We can do this.

Add me if you like. I would be happy to have another person to compare with.
  • HYBRIDXXX
    HYBRIDXXX Posts: 86
    Options
    U TRY 2 LOSE 3-4 LBS A WEEK & U WILL ALSO LOSE A LOTTA LEAN MUSCLE PLUS A LIL FAT BT U MAY ALSO HAVE A LOTTA LOOSE SKIN. PLEASE DNT DO IT LIKE DAT. ITZ JUS 2 RAPID I DNT CARE HOW EAGER U R 2 GET DA WEIGHT OFF
  • ishax24
    ishax24 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I started a month ago and was at 1200 calories.. I was gettin really bad migraines tho so upped it to 1400 and the weight seems to be coming off.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    i lost about 50lbs in six months by cutting rubbish out, and walking 6 miles a day 5 days a week, after the first month or so i added in wii fit, i didn't stick to a calorie restricted diet, but i was a lot heavier than you are. this was last year, i didn't discover mfp until January this year, i have followed a 1200 calorie diet since then as i had come to a standstill with weight loss, i have managed to lose another 31 lbs but i have started exercising more, i didn't restrict anything because if i cut something out, i end up thinking of nothing else and eventually binging on it, so for me its better to have anything i want but in moderation.
    good luck xx