Targeting Stomach Fat - Suggestions Needed

Options
I carry most of my weight in the stomach area, I am approx 230lbs and I am looking to target my stomach fat. I've got a long way to go before my abs will be visible so I am not looking for toning exercises but fat burning. I would appreciate any suggestions or personal success stories on this area of the body. Thanks in advance for much needed help!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no such thing as spot reducing, your body will lose fat but it seems to be in different places for everyone. Once your total body fat gets low enough the problem looks after itself. (Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones, I lost on my face & arms first..... the waistline is slowly shrinking). However, doing abs/core exercises may improve your posture which may give you the appearance of a smaller stomach.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I lose weight on top first, below the waist is the last to go. Some people are the reverse. This is genetics.

Pilates are great core exercises.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'm an apple-shape too, but I'm seeing noticeable improvement in my middle from balancing cardio & weight workouts (3x/week each). I wish there was a way to spot-reduce though b/c I'd be right there with you!

I'm especially liking the total-body approach in New Rules of Lifting For Women.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no such thing as spot reducing, your body will lose fat but it seems to be in different places for everyone. Once your total body fat gets low enough the problem looks after itself. (Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones, I lost on my face & arms first..... the waistline is slowly shrinking). However, doing abs/core exercises may improve your posture which may give you the appearance of a smaller stomach.

^ That.

Create a calorie deficit and work your entire body. Eventually things will start to look better. No need to pound crunches or ab work until the cows come home.
  • soupbowl21
    soupbowl21 Posts: 1
    Options
    Lots of cardio!

People lose weight in different places. You can't really target one area. But the more cardio you do, the more fat you burn.
  • KClarkBar
    KClarkBar Posts: 9
    Options
    Great suggestions! Is there a particular heart rate you are suppose to keep in order to be in the fat burning zone?
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    So for burning fat is it better to do cardio or strength training?

I think both are necessary.

Cardio burns fat right now. Muscles boost metabolism always.

Plus, when you strength train not only can you pick up increasingly heavy $#i!, but you also increase your bone density (who knew bone was a living tissue? not this girl for a long-*kitten* time.)

Don't be afraid to lift heavy and to run hard! (with appropriate rest of course).
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions! Is there a particular heart rate you are suppose to keep in order to be in the fat burning zone?

No. You should ideally do a combination of both. Strength training will help you preserve lean body mass. Cardio will help condition your heart. A calorie deficit will lose the fat. Exercise doesn't burn fat. A calorie deficit does.

I was answering the first question asked by OP in regards to strength not being important.

"Fat burning zone" is a myth. Getting your heart rate elevated is good for your heart and will burn extra calories. There is no special zone that burns fat more than any other elevated heart rate. :)
  • ucsneakerz
    ucsneakerz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The heart rate depends on your age and weight. For you (based on your profile) it would be around 126. Most cardio machines (even bikes) will have a fat burning setting that you can use, and as long as you keep your hands on the heart rate monitors it'll adjust the resistance/speed/etc as you need it.
  • MrsB1229
    MrsB1229 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem area. I had great success with the P90 with Ab Ripper (4in in one month). It's part of the original P90. Not the p90x. I bet you could find the videos on You Tube or even at the library. Good luck!!
  • ATLMel
    Options
    The heart rate depends on your age and weight. For you (based on your profile) it would be around 126. Most cardio machines (even bikes) will have a fat burning setting that you can use, and as long as you keep your hands on the heart rate monitors it'll adjust the resistance/speed/etc as you need it.

Bad advice.

It is true that lower intensity activities draw more from fat stores, you also burn fewer calories overall. Higher intensity exercise gives you more bang for your buck. You will create more a calorie deficit if you work harder. Pretty simple math.

Do some research on it and see what you think.
  • KClarkBar
    Options
    Thank you I have done a few P90X workouts, I do alright for myself but I gained 2 pounds this week and that was a bit discouraging to me. I started integrating a strength training program this week, but I really want to focus on the stomach area. It sounds like I do need to insert more cardio. I find it hard to keep my heart rate that low because I am just so out of shape within 10 minutes on the eliptical I'm at 160-170.
  • KClarkBar
    Options
    Yes your (ATLMel) logic makes sense, harder work = bigger payout. I've heard people say to get in the fat burning zone, but I have a hard time knowing what that is. I'm sure it's different for everyone. I just want to get the best results possible, as I'm sure everyone does. If I don't see results though I know I will get discouraged like this week when I gained weight, not a morale booster.
  • ATLMel
    Options
    http://www.thebodygenesis.com/myths-under-the-microscope-part-1-the-low-intensity-fat-burning-zone/

This is just one article on it. If you really want visible and tangible results strength train heavy, eat right with enough of the RIGHT KIND of calories and try to ignore most of the hokum you see spouted. I am a bit of a nerd and read everything I can get my hands on on how my body works and what I can do to improve it. Don't take advice at face value (to include mine....).
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

^ That.

Create a calorie deficit and work your entire body. Eventually things will start to look better. No need to pound crunches or ab work until the cows come home.

yep and yep.

Abs (and weight loss in general, for that matter) starts in the kitchen. It doesn't matter what or how much exercise you do if you're diet is all out of whack.
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    Try reading Winning by Losing by Jillian Michaels. She gives great recommendations on how to lose based specifically on your body shape/type. (apple/pear/proportionate weight distribution types). I am reading right now and it's really helpful. Good luck!
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    What others have said....remember, it's 99% diet....forget crunches, fat burning, all the buzz words...you need to log your calories and be under each and every day. Eat clean, less processed foods, etc. That's first.

Second, you need to tone AND get into a fat burning zone....do a search on MFP for "30 Day Shred". It's a DVD from Jillian Michael's which can make a drastic improvement in your core. A lot of people on MFP have had success with it.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    As everyone else said, there is no way to spot reduce. However, I've been running for the last 30+ days and I have seen a significant change in my belly! Check out my profile pic for the 30 day results. I never ran before, but now I love it and run outside at least 20 mins a day.
  • Truly and there are no spot reducing stomach only exercises. Every part of our body is sequentially and individually aligned to be responsible and to reduce in order! However,regular colon cleansing has seemed to really reduce my belly fat, also. I do this by eating an abundance of fruits!
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The body does burn a higher percentage of calories from fat in the fat burning zone or at lower intensities. However, at higher intensities (70-90% of your maximum heart rate), you burn a greater number of overall calories, which is what matters when it comes to losing weight. 3500 calories burned is one pound gone, no matter how you do it. The reason it is important to go slower (easier), is that you can go longer, essentially you need to exercise over 20 minutes at one time to burn existing fat, and the longer the better.