Running/Jogging After Eating

Options
Just wanted to know, how long would be a good time to start jogging after i finish eating? I know if don't wait long enough it makes me nauseous, and if i wait too long i end up STARVING as soon as I step off the treadmill.

What would be an ideal wait time?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Depends upon what and how much you eat. After a bagel, maybe 15 minutes. After a 18" cheese steak with fried onions and hot peppers, maybe the next day. :)
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    My best runs are always on an empty stomach- first thing when I wake up in the am?
  • ofthevalley
    ofthevalley Posts: 69
    Options
    I cannot run after I eat. I have to run on empty. If I get up early enough I can have a protein shake but only if it's at least 2 hours before my run.
  • adrijordan
    adrijordan Posts: 28
    Options
    My best runs are always on an empty stomach- first thing when I wake up in the am?

The medication i take makes me really hungry in the mornings and I've tried running on empty but my stomach always ends up cramping pretty badly. I don't eat much for breakfast; 1 packet of instant oatmeal or scrambled eggs with a piece of turkey bacon.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You will burn more fat by running (or doing any cardio) on an empty stomach. First thing in the morning is the best time to work out. Not only will you raise your metabolism all day, but you are also less likely to put off your workout (run) and then find yourself w/o any time.
  • ffddff
    ffddff Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think such things depend largely on person and food.
    I chose my timing, so that I feel comfortable.
    For me it's usually 2hrs.
    We are all different.

Maybe this could help..
    http://www.nyrrc.org/nyrrc/mar01/training/septip.html#anchor4654369
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I'm good about an hour after I eat a moderate meal/snack (350 calories or less). I can't run on an empty stomach but if I am going to run in the morning I get up 30 minutes early and have a piece of toast.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i always have to jog/work out first or i feel like i'm going to puke. then i dont want a big meal so i have a protein shake. but you would need to eat more calories earlier in the day in order to do this and not be too far under your calories for the day.
  • adrijordan
    adrijordan Posts: 28
    Options
    When I went through basic training, we ran 30 minutes after eating a decent sized breakfast (oatmeal or pancakes and eggs). 30 minutes seems to be the right amount of time to let your food settle.

My husband told me that they did the same too.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    i cant eat anything before exercising. i need at least an hour gap otherwise i feel so ill. last year for my hockey pre season, we had fitness and i ate a salad 15 minutes before and nearly boked at the side :( i went home straight to bed after!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I usually eat about an hour before I run, eggs and toast or almonds are my usual suspects.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Depends upon what and how much you eat. After a bagel, maybe 15 minutes. After a 18" cheese steak with fried onions and hot peppers, maybe the next day. :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Usually 30-60 min for me. If I'm going to run on my lunch hour then I'll try and have an apple or yogurt before I go so I'm not starving when I get back.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

LOL yep.

I usually run after my morning coffee and a handful of almonds. Or, if I eat a normal meal, I'll wait 2 hours to eat. I hate running with food in my stomach. If I go for a long run (i.e. over an hour) I'll take some energy chews with me and eat those along the way. They digest easier than normal food ahead of time and they're spaced out.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I get home, take a couple of bits of banana or a couple of dates and then go straight out. I walk for 5 minutes before running and that seems to be enough.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If I eat anything substantial I have to wait at least 2 hours, most mornings it's a cup of coffee & out the door. I eat breakfast after my run (and I'm usually pretty hungry)