Just cant grasp the 1500+ calorie rule

Options

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1200 cals for 21 mths and have lost 100 lbs, I think everyone is different and you have to find what works for you. Maybe you should up your cals by 100 for a few weeks and see what happens you can always increase or lower them to 1200 again. Play around with the cals and find what works for you. I think some people need to eat less to lose where some people need to eat more to lose, I think while some people go into starvation mode at 1200 cals some people go into starvation mode at 1000 cals
    I agree. People often try to simplify things too much. There are few hard and fast rules. I leave around 500 calories per day "on the table" in addition to the 1000 calorie deficit MFP calculates and I've been losing a little over 3 pounds a week for three months with amazing consistency, exactly what the deficit predicts. The whole "starvation mode" trope is overblown and largely a myth. There is the concept of diminishing returns and the OP may be experiencing this, but there is not a magical number where this occurs at. It's a continuum and it also varies from person to person.

You have a bigger amount of weight to lose than the OP. Someone who is within 20 pounds of their goal weight wouldn't be able to create a 1,500 calorie deficit.
  • Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 232
    Options
    BUMP!!!
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1200 cals for 21 mths and have lost 100 lbs, I think everyone is different and you have to find what works for you. Maybe you should up your cals by 100 for a few weeks and see what happens you can always increase or lower them to 1200 again. Play around with the cals and find what works for you. I think some people need to eat less to lose where some people need to eat more to lose, I think while some people go into starvation mode at 1200 cals some people go into starvation mode at 1000 cals
    I agree. People often try to simplify things too much. There are few hard and fast rules. I leave around 500 calories per day "on the table" in addition to the 1000 calorie deficit MFP calculates and I've been losing a little over 3 pounds a week for three months with amazing consistency, exactly what the deficit predicts. The whole "starvation mode" trope is overblown and largely a myth. There is the concept of diminishing returns and the OP may be experiencing this, but there is not a magical number where this occurs at. It's a continuum and it also varies from person to person.

You have a bigger amount of weight to lose than the OP. Someone who is within 20 pounds of their goal weight wouldn't be able to create a 1,500 calorie deficit.
    I am within 20 pounds of my goal weight and have been for about three weeks yet I'm still losing at the same rate. I'm not saying everyone can do what I've done. I may be be special. My mom thinks so. However, I'm proof that the rules aren't as hard and fast as many try to make them out to be.
  • dalmiechick45
    dalmiechick45 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump - thanks for postingf you;re a life saver
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    Its not the 1200 calories, its that once a week crazy cheat day thats killing your effort. Keeping you sane or not, you can't lose by taking in more calories than you burn, in general of course. Lets say MFP wants you to have 1500 calories. They are already taking into account that much less than that, your body will slow itself down for lack of calories. So after 6 days of getting your body into low cal burning mode, you pile in a ton of cals on your crazy cheat day. Since the next day I assume you go back to 1200 cals, your body has no time to readjust and just stores as much of it away as it can as fat. Bottom line, suck it up and limit your cheat days to once a month, and even then only one cheat "meal", not all three. I think you'll do much better. Also, if 1500 is too many cals, meet MFP halfway and get to at least 1350. After you begin to lose, MFP is going to lower it to that many cals eventually anyway. Good luck and stick with it.

This. Starvation mode is a *****. Your body protects itself and your body doesn't go in and out of it quickly (not a rapid transition). That's why ppl who consume 1200 calories have some early success. Your body than goes into panic mode and drops your BMR and activley attempts to burn as few calories as possible and retain as many calories as possible (in comes your cheat days). Your body will take every calorie on your cheat day and store it to help sustain itself while you starve.

Eating OVER 1200 calories PLUS what you burn through activity over time (1-2 weeks) will get your body back to normal and it will no longer cling to calories and won't try to limit calories burned and the results will come.

It's similar to law of diminishing returns (for any econ ppl out there). As you approach 1200 calories the benefits of reducing your diet diminish until the next calorie saved has no effect or a negative impact. Also note this terrible 1200 rule (for women and 1500 for men) is based on someone with a sedetary lifestyle (1200 calories are needed to essentially sit and breath as well as internal body functions). if you are active this number should be 1200 + calories burned = adjusted min calories.

Even contestants on the biggest loser ranch do not go under 1500 calories a day and they are losing huge amounts of weight
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    The difference is probably right in front of you.

You are doing cardio and weights.

Are your friends/relatives? Or are they just dieting?

You are working your body, so you need to feed your body. I honestly didn't lose a pound at 1,200 calories. When I upped to about 1,500 it MELTED off. I was doing Jillian and biking. Now I have myself at 1,460 or something like that, and it's a lot slower, but it's still coming off.

Also, we know SOOOOOO little about the endocrine (hormone) system that a lot of it just doesn't make sense. It may never make sense to us. I say try it for a month. I think you'll be pleased.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Okay, so your tdee should be around 1700 and your bmr around 1550. Eating 1200 you should be at a deficit of 3000 cal a week if you eat back exercise calories. Honestly, one crazy cheat day a week can easily knock that out. Do you really need one every week? Log them as accurately as you can and see if that is where our deficit is going. Upping to eat 1500 and not eating back exercise calories should also work. But if you net 1500, you won't have much of a deficit. Also, you should do resistance training to maintain your lean mass and this burn more fat

^^
    where did you get your 1700 for TDEE???????
    based on OP's height and current weight, that does not even cover sedentary (figures from fat2fit). Eating 1500 and exercising 4x a week will result in a net well below BMR which is not healthy and will in no way preserve muscle mass. This is no different from eating below 1000-1200 cals per day without exercise.

OP should aim for 1841 total intake if lightly active, or 2108 if moderately active. This gives a safe deficit of 0.5lbs per week as she doesnt have much to lose.

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1825
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2091
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2358
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I am within 20 pounds of my goal weight and have been for about three weeks yet I'm still losing at the same rate. I'm not saying everyone can do what I've done. I may be be special. My mom thinks so. However, I'm proof that the rules aren't as hard and fast as many try to make them out to be.

Wow, if that is the case you must have lost a *kitten* load of muscle, as your fat stores would not be large enough to sustain such a deficit without large fat stores.

even 1lb/week is aggressive with that much to lose.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I think that is pretty special, most people can't continue to lose 3 pounds a week.
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options

Starvation mode exists... It's not a myth. The 1200 calorie rule is just that, a rule. It's broad and a cathc all. You will still lose weight in starvation mode but your weight loss will be severley impaired. I agree that this calorie intake will vary from person to person. Your body type will also dictate when and for how long your body stays in starvation mode. An overweight or obese indvidual will take much longer to go into starvation mode than someone who is of average weight who wants improve their figure.

Put it into perspective. If you are trapped at home in a storm (think hurricane lasting several days) but have a cellar full of enough food to last months you won't alter your eating habits (why would you there is plenty of food). Now assume instead of a full cellar you have only enough food to last you two days max. Since the storm may outlast your food supply what do you do, you begin to conserve and ration it off to make it last as long as possible.

The body is the same way. Obese indviduals can sit at 1200 calories for a long time because they have such a large build up of stores that your body doesn't perceive it to be a threat. Once that obese person drops weight significantly the body will become defensive and begin measures to conserve (starvation mode). Smaller indviduals will get to this starvation mode much quicker.
  • TNTwedell
    TNTwedell Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    I love this place :love:
    I really appreciate all this advice.
    Its really freaking frustrating. And, honestly, if I didnt have a "deadline" (my wedding on August 11), I wouldnt be stressing or concerned as much about the success/fail, slow-to-no progress I've been having
    Starting this 5months ago, I assumed I was giving myself PLENTY of time to lose all this weight in a "healthy, long-term" manner.
    But its just not shaping up that way.
    I have read and read and read about the TDEE, macros, BMI, TMI, XYZ etc etc etc - it still just didnt make SENSE. But, I'll try to just trust the process; even though Im terrified.:grumble:

I moved my cal to 1500 on Monday at the advice of my MFP friends and will just keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks to everyone who sent me literature - i love it and will dive head-first into all these articles & figure out how to wrap my head around all this information.
  • Chipmaniac
    Options

Wow, if that is the case you must have lost a *kitten* load of muscle, as your fat stores would not be large enough to sustain such a deficit without large fat stores.

even 1lb/week is aggressive with that much to lose.
    I haven't lost muscle, or least not a discernible amount. I had a lot of fat stores in the form of a serious gut. I've lost over six inches in my waist. That didn't happen by losing muscle. I still have some love handles to lose and it's been my experience that they are the last places I lose.

Once again, there are no hard and fast rules as much as people want there to be. I know exceptions to rules irritate those who want those rules to be absolute. So be it.
  • TNTwedell
    Options
    Bump for later.

I have a great idea of how to answer this, but it will take some work. It'll be awesome though. Just you wait. :)

HAHAH! I love it already
  • TNTwedell
    Options
    What is MFP telling you to consume?? What aren't you consuming that instead of this dumb... I mean magical 1200 calorie #.

Record your exercise, set your goals and on the My Home tab it will tell you total calories to consume. Eat that and you will realize your goals.

MFP put me at 1200
  • Chipmaniac
    Options

Starvation mode exists... It's not a myth. The 1200 calorie rule is just that, a rule. It's broad and a cathc all. You will still lose weight in starvation mode but your weight loss will be severley impaired. I agree that this calorie intake will vary from person to person. Your body type will also dictate when and for how long your body stays in starvation mode. An overweight or obese indvidual will take much longer to go into starvation mode than someone who is of average weight who wants improve their figure.

Put it into perspective. If you are trapped at home in a storm (think hurricane lasting several days) but have a cellar full of enough food to last months you won't alter your eating habits (why would you there is plenty of food). Now assume instead of a full cellar you have only enough food to last you two days max. Since the storm may outlast your food supply what do you do, you begin to conserve and ration it off to make it last as long as possible.

The body is the same way. Obese indviduals can sit at 1200 calories for a long time because they have such a large build up of stores that your body doesn't perceive it to be a threat. Once that obese person drops weight significantly the body will become defensive and begin measures to conserve (starvation mode). Smaller indviduals will get to this starvation mode much quicker.
    There is not a starvation "mode". It's not a light switch that gets flipped at some level of deprivation. It's a gradual decrease in metabolism up to a max of about 20% in order to conserve energy.

I workout almost every day. Yesterday I burned 1700 calories commuting to work on my bike. MFP says I should eat 1320 if sedentary to lose 2 pounds a week. On the rare days that I don't exercise I eat right up to this amount. On all the other days I eat back some, but not all of my exercise calories. For instance, yesterday I ate 2475 calories. This still was 545 calories less than what MFP recommended for a 2 pound loss with my exercise burn calculated in. This has been what's working for me for three months. Your mileage may vary.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Okay, so your tdee should be around 1700 and your bmr around 1550. Eating 1200 you should be at a deficit of 3000 cal a week if you eat back exercise calories. Honestly, one crazy cheat day a week can easily knock that out. Do you really need one every week? Log them as accurately as you can and see if that is where our deficit is going. Upping to eat 1500 and not eating back exercise calories should also work. But if you net 1500, you won't have much of a deficit. Also, you should do resistance training to maintain your lean mass and this burn more fat

^^
    where did you get your 1700 for TDEE???????
    based on OP's height and current weight, that does not even cover sedentary (figures from fat2fit). Eating 1500 and exercising 4x a week will result in a net well below BMR which is not healthy and will in no way preserve muscle mass. This is no different from eating below 1000-1200 cals per day without exercise.

OP should aim for 1841 total intake if lightly active, or 2108 if moderately active. This gives a safe deficit of 0.5lbs per week as she doesnt have much to lose.

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1825
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2091
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2358

I used fat2fit also, maybe I put something in wrong.

Just redid it, and you are right that I gave the activity levels of her -20 lb goal weight. she has clearly stated she does not want 0.5 lb per week, and she can do more without losing lean mass (I'm at 23% body fat, not losing muscle with a 500 cal per day deficit). Also, if she picks lightly active, the key is that that is not a NET goal, but the absolute goal. So as I said, she should EAT 1500 and not eat back exercise calories. And really cut down on cheat days. Every week having a cheat day will really slow your progress unless your idea of a cheat day is eating at maintenance.
  • Chipmaniac
    Options

I think that is pretty special, most people can't continue to lose 3 pounds a week.
    I feel very lucky that my body responds the way it does. If I had the inconsistency of results that plagues so many people I would be seriously discouraged.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.

I have a great idea of how to answer this, but it will take some work. It'll be awesome though. Just you wait. :)

I can't wait :)
  • TIDDYBEAR
    TIDDYBEAR Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I completely understand your frustration TNTweed..... It always seemed to me that they less calories you eat the more you would loose. But I have MFP set at my BMR which is 1,586. For my daily routine it says that I could do 1,940. And the job that I just started I WALK 8 - 10 hours a night. So, I figure that I will just leave it at my BMR and if I burn more, GREAT! Go to "TOOLS" at
    the top of the page. I asks your height, weight and sex and tells you what your BMR is. Then click on MyHome and click on "Goals" Click on change goals and tell it CUSTOM. That way you can punch in what ever your BMR is. Then EAT that many calories per day. Good Luck!!

Jan

(Are you from Tennessee?? What part?)
  • nelsaphine
    nelsaphine Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Background – I’ve been consistently on MFP for about 5 months. Work out 3-4x a week, cardio and weights. Very religious about staying around 1200 calories. Drink TONS of water. Once a week, I’ll have a crazy cheat day (to keep my sane). I try to have my macros balanced (although I am no were near successful at it yet).
    I have lost 2lbs and NO inches.

All my fabulous and successful friends on here have been drilling into my skull for MONTHS that I need to up my calories – 1500 min (I’m 5’8, 158lbs).

I KNOW they are right – they’ve proven it in their weight loss. But it’s KILLING me to increase my calories.
    I know, I know – “body needs fuel”, “you are in starvation mode”, etc etc etc. I GET it. But it just doesn’t make SENSE.

Everytime I have lost weight in the past, I have gone a very similar route to what I’ve been doing this time around – workout, eat fewer calories, etc – and YAY – I’m skinny.

What has changed???

The reason this is all coming out now ---
    One of my friends is on Jenny Craig.
    My mom is on Weight Watchers.
    My best friend does HCG (I know. Its from the DEVIL – but she’s freaking skinny).
    They are all having HUGE success --- and the common thread with each of these diets is that they are limited to very few calories (JC is 1200. Weight Watchers – IDK what the points translate, but its low – HCG, 500 duh)
    So why – if I am supposed to “eat more” to lose weight – am I still FAILING - and everyone else in my life on “restrictive diets” are succeeding?
    This is where the confusion comes in – and my inability to fully grasp the 1500 calorie mantra.

I am sooooo tempted to join JC or WW – just to see SOME results. I don’t WANT to – but I am beyond annoyed with my failure and I NEED to lose 20lbs by August (my freaking wedding)…

Is there ANYONE out there that can give me the "A-HA" that I need to stick with MFP and not cave to the commercialized, microwave meal plan?

I was having the very same problem mentally just a few weeks ago. I also had friends losing fast with other things and others telling me to increase my cals, everything I read said the same thing but I just couldn't make myself change. Until I realized that I want this for my health and so it needs to become a lifestyle and in real life I couldn't 'survive' on 1200!!! Also, I had started lifting and I enjoy it so much that I wanted to be able to do this for life!! So I made the change, it took my body about 2 weeks to adjust to the change but I started losing again!! Most importantly I felt so much better. It's funny I didn't realize I wasn't feeling well until I felt better!! There is a group here called Eat More to Lose Weight. There is great information there, it explains so many things, if not for anything else, just read the info I believe it will help you!!! Best of luck to you and God bless :D