Advice on Weight Lifting

Options
Hello,

I am looking for advice on weight lifting. I am looking to sculpt my body. I do lift weights, as is. I want to go heavier. I would like to see some definition. What kind of exercises are best? What do eat afterwards? What is the overall way to go about it appropriately? Should I increase my protein intake?

I have some knowledge but would like to get more efficient.

Thank you for feedback.. :-)

Monica

Replies

• karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out New Rules of Lifting For Women? I'm 3 weeks into it, and the focus is definitely on lifting heavy, and the book gives you a nutrition plan to support it.
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength 5x5. Google it and enjoy your new body!
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength 5x5. Google it and enjoy your new body!

do you mean 5 set 5 rep OR 5sec cadence?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    New Rules, Starting Strength or Stronglifts are all good programs.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Check your local library or Amazon for books to educate yourself. Some excellent ones are:

"The New Rules of Lifting for Women"
    "Starting Strength"
    "The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises"
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    heavy, compound lifts (starting strength or stronglifts are good programs) + moderate cal SURPLUS (including high protein) + lots of patience = muscle development.

heavy, compound lifts + moderate cal deficit (induing high protein) + patience = fat loss

Those 2 things together, given enough time = definition.
  • LiftHuff
    LiftHuff Posts: 131
    Options
    ^^^
  • GraceK2012
    GraceK2012 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    heavy, compound lifts (starting strength or stronglifts are good programs) + moderate cal SURPLUS (including high protein) + lots of patience = muscle development.

heavy, compound lifts + moderate cal deficit (induing high protein) + patience = fat loss

Could you recommend the best way/sequence in which to combine the two?
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

+1

I do Stronglifts 5X5
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I do Stronglifts 5x5 also. It's 5 sets of 5 reps of 5 different compound exercises, divided into two workouts. Simple, and very effective!
  • moegomes
    moegomes Posts: 16
    Options
    Have you checked out New Rules of Lifting For Women? I'm 3 weeks into it, and the focus is definitely on lifting heavy, and the book gives you a nutrition plan to support it.

I heard about it recently... Are noticing results? Are you consistent with the meal plan?
  • melouda
    melouda Posts: 1
    Options
    I just bought the book a couple of weeks ago after reading Meals and Miles Blog! Have you seen and had some results now that you are 3 weeks in?
  • mariobadr
    mariobadr Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Usually you do the muscle development one first, then switch to the fat loss one. For example, for Fall and Winter you do muscle development, In Spring you do fat loss, then in Summer you try to maintain your beach body :)
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    Start out light until you are comfortable with the excercise. I see guys in the gym using poor form, but hefting up heavy weights. You are better off doing it right. I often use lighter weights and like to go to 12 to 15 repetitions. Sometimes I do as many as 10 sets. I don't care what anybody says, doing 200 repetitions on the triceps machine will make you RIPPED! I like to do a lot of pushups too. Most importantly, make sure you use proper form and then gradually push yourself to lift heavier weights. Believe it or not, a lot of people injure themselves on the weight machines by going too heavy. Go with what makes you confortable and then push yourself harder and harder. It won't happen overnight.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options

Patience. That's what I'm missing :). Can I order it on Amazon too?
  • jacksonpt
    Options

During the muscle development phase (commonly called a bulk cycle) you'll be gaining weight. Some will be muscle, some fat. Because you'll be eating at a calorie surplus, most people find this the easier of the 2 phases and chose to bulk first, then transition into the second phase where they shed body fat (called a cut cycle).

The length of each cycle varies with your goals and how well your body responds to each. You may have to feel it out your first time through each cycle.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Start out light until you are comfortable with the excercise. I see guys in the gym using poor form, but hefting up heavy weights. You are better off doing it right. I often use lighter weights and like to go to 12 to 15 repetitions. Sometimes I do as many as 10 sets. I don't care what anybody says, doing 200 repetitions on the triceps machine will make you RIPPED! I like to do a lot of pushups too. Most importantly, make sure you use proper form and then gradually push yourself to lift heavier weights. Believe it or not, a lot of people injure themselves on the weight machines by going too heavy. Go with what makes you confortable and then push yourself harder and harder. It won't happen overnight.

I hate posts like this because they confuse the subject.

Yes, doing 200 reps can make you ripped. You're doing a cardio workout so you're burning cals which helps with the hole calorie deficit thing, which generally leads to weight loss. As you lose weight, you can in time reveal muscle that was previously hidden by body fat.

But you aren't building new muscle, ESPECIALLY if you are on a deficit while doing all those reps.

I do absolutely like his point about the importance of form and lifting safely though!

• karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options

I heard about it recently... Are noticing results? Are you consistent with the meal plan?

Yes & No. Yes, I'm definitely seeing & feeling results. No, I haven't been consistent with the meal plan. I'm trying this week for the recommended breakdown of 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat, but at 1400-2000 cals./day, that's a LOT of protein. :o
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am looking for advice on weight lifting. I am looking to sculpt my body. I do lift weights, as is. I want to go heavier. I would like to see some definition. What kind of exercises are best? What do eat afterwards? What is the overall way to go about it appropriately? Should I increase my protein intake?

I have some knowledge but would like to get more efficient.

Thank you for feedback.. :-)

Monica

I recommend compound lifts as mentioned before as well as isolation exercises. Find a good program and stick to it. The 8-12 rep range is best for muscle hypertrophy. You probably want to start off an a slight caloric surplus (just slightly over your maintenance, as you want the fat gain to be minimal) in order to build muscle. Be sure to get plenty of protein (.8 - 1g per lb of body weight), and healthy fats (.45 - 1 g per lb of body weight), fill the rest with carbs and/or some more protein/fats