Is there such thing as too much oatmeal?

vahine03
vahine03 Posts: 214 Member
I started out with a half cup of oats for breakfast each morning. Then I started to crave for more so i decided to have a half cup for both breakfast and Dinner. I was thinking about making it to a full cup for both meals, lately, but not exactly sure if that's okay. Should I stick to a cup a day or can I add on more?

Replies

• Angiesolomon
    Angiesolomon Posts: 144 Member
    I feel the same! But I try and hold back from having it for two meals so I get more variety!!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    I started out with a half cup of oats for breakfast each morning. Then I started to crave for more so i decided to have a half cup for both breakfast and Dinner. I was thinking about making it to a full cup for both meals, lately, but not exactly sure if that's okay. Should I stick to a cup a day or can I add on more?

There's such a thing as too much water. I would speculate that too much oatmeal could also be fatal, but you'd need to eat quite a bit of it.

As it pertains to your question, as long as you're tracking your calorie intake and as long as your increased oatmeal consumption isn't preventing you from getting adequate sources of nutrients from your non-oatmeal sources, then you're fine and have nothing to worry about.

Example: If you have 1500 calories per day to work with, and you consume 1400 calories in oatmeal, you're going to fail to meet reasonable fat and protein levels and you'll also miss out on micronutrients. You'd still lose weight, but you'd look and feel like *kitten* and eventually have health consequences.
  • julianne50
    julianne50 Posts: 7
    I too am a huge lover of oatmeal.. unfortunetly it has about 33 carbs for 1/2 cup. i think that having 1 cup for breakfast is o.k, but if your craving something sweet later in the day some cinnamon flavored rice cakes, or a someting i discovered a few months ago called ARCTIC ZERO ,, ,it is a frozen treat, very much like ice cream, but with no fat, 6 carbs, gluten free and 150 calories for a pint... you can buy it on line or at your local health food store. .some whole foods markets carry it as well.... in general though having a little more oatmeal ( steel cut the best ,or mcCains oatmeal) isn't the worst thing you cold give your body, it does have great nutritional value... julianne sullivan RN MS
  • vahine03
    vahine03 Posts: 214 Member
    I thought so. I needed confirmation. :tongue: THANKS to each of you for replying. Yall really helped me a lot and reminded me of things I should be tracking up on.

Much Mahalo & Aloha :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: