Swimming tips?

Options
I'm new to this community section, I used to only use the iPod app to plug in diet and exercise but this is such an amazing feature! I LOVE swimming I used to be big into swimming before my ACL replacement surgery, and I find it to be a great workout for my knee, and an old ankle injury. I am finding though that I am not reaching my full potential, I don't feel exhausted/beat out after a 2km swim like I figured I would be. Any tips? Does anyone know if it's allowed to wear ankle/wrist weights in a lane swim or if it is even possible, I read an article suggesting it but I'm like to hear from real people if it works.

Thanks for any suggestions! and I definitely need that motivation from others in a similar boat as me! So feel free to add me as a friend or share your experiences!

Replies

• tammyclair
    tammyclair Posts: 38
    Options
    do a google search for swim workouts. i do a beginner triathlon one that is invigorating. lots of ladder stuff.
  • chrisdavy239
    chrisdavy239 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You may need to work on technique. Swimming is almost all about technique, simply because our mammal shaped bodies aren't designed to go through water. If you can swim at a higher pace, then you're likely to gain the feeling of exertion that you're looking for.

How long are you taking to do your 2k? What stroke are you doing?
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Rather than weights, it would be far better to invest in some hand paddles and speed fins (if they don't bother your knee), to increase the resistance. I'm sure you could google some insane swim workouts.
  • chrisdavy239
    chrisdavy239 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Paddles are good - weight training in the water. But often not allowed in public sessions for safety reasons...
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have aquafit gloves, but I imagine they would work for lane swimming. They basically just give you webbed hands to add resistance.
  • mshawski
    mshawski Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Wear 1 suit that fits and another really big suit for water drag. you can also buy drag suits with pockets on them that cause resistance. Paddles were mentioned - another "fun" thing is to swim with tennis balls in your fists to cut down on the amount of pull you get from each stroke.

I usually go onto www.swimplan.com for workouts. You can customize to your ability and equipment you have handy.

Have fun! :smile:
  • dzmikki
    dzmikki Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I swam competitively for 18 years. If you give me the length of the pool I can give you some workouts that will help you make the most of your time in the pool. No extra itmes needed!

Most pools are either 25 feet or 25 meters. Msg me and I will reply with some ideas.
  • court617
    court617 Posts: 65
    Options
    Throw a pull buoy in there too... those flotation devices that you can hold between your legs to work arms only. You don't have to do just that, but add that in your lap rotation and it's intense. You can kind of rotate through with a kickboard too. I used to have my best workouts when I'd do 2 laps with a kickboard, 2 with a pull buoy and then 4 without either and keep going through that rotation for however many laps you decide to do.
  • allianna99
    allianna99 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've never heard of weights while swimming. You can use paddles on your hands to create more resistance or put leg floats between your legs and only swim using your arms. If you don't have access to that equipment, re-assess your form and make sure you are getting that pull motion under water with your arms. You can also increase the speed and strength of your kick.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Fins wouldn't be great for your ankle IMO. Paddles are a great option but they're often disallowed. A pull buoy is an excellent suggestion as you're not likely to cause grievous bodily harm to anyone with it. Depending how competent you are, try another stroke.
  • FrostyBev
    FrostyBev Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I love swimming. I swim 4-6 days a week anywhere from 1/2 mile to recently an all time longest of 3 miles non-stop freestyle. On my long swim days I average between 01:00 - 01:01 per lap on a 25 yd pool... Not super fast but pretty consistent and I'm exhausted. :)

If you are swimming 2k freestyle non-stop and don't feel exhausted that is fantastic! If it's not freestyle that's ok. Now you have something to work towards. ;) (This suggestion is based on the idea that you are wanting distance swims.)

I have no experience with the weights so I can't comment on that. However, like others have said hand paddles are good to increase the resistance. Pool buoy between the legs for only upper body is great to add in.

On freestyle how often are you breathing? Shoot for 3-4 strokes per breath.

I have a lot of different exercises I like so feel free to message or add me as well. It sounds like there's a lot of experience in this group. :)

Oh and DZmikki inc FR. :)

Edit: I also have had knee surgery and ankle problems. I find the pool buoys are great to add in once those two are nice and sore.
  • dzmikki
    Options

lol! I would be happy to give anyone some ideas. :-) Just msg or friend me!
  • dzmikki
    Options
    I love swimming. I swim 4-6 days a week anywhere from 1/2 mile to recently an all time longest of 3 miles non-stop freestyle. On my long swim days I average between 01:00 - 01:01 per lap on a 25 yd pool... Not super fast but pretty consistent and I'm exhausted. :)

If you are swimming 2k freestyle non-stop and don't feel exhausted that is fantastic! If it's not freestyle that's ok. Now you have something to work towards. ;) (This suggestion is based on the idea that you are wanting distance swims.)

I have no experience with the weights so I can't comment on that. However, like others have said hand paddles are good to increase the resistance. Pool buoy between the legs for only upper body is great to add in.

On freestyle how often are you breathing? Shoot for 3-4 strokes per breath.

I have a lot of different exercises I like so feel free to message or add me as well. It sounds like there's a lot of experience in this group. :)

Edit: I also have had knee surgery and ankle problems. I find the pool buoys are great to add in once those two are nice and sore.

lol Would be happy to give anyone ideas. Just message me or friend me!
  • katie190177
    katie190177 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for the tips, I've been doing my laps in a 25m pool, mostly front crawl (breathing every 3rd stroke) and backstroke. I'm working on breast stroke but the whip kick is hard on my knee. I'm going to try out so paddles and fins on Monday, I've done the pull buoy but I'm definitely trying to work on my knee and ankle injuries. Thanks again!