Insanity vs. C25K + NROL4W

Options
I posted this on my friend's feed but am curious on the general population's thoughts.

This happened the last time I did C25K… I'm hitting that time of the year where it's already 70+ degrees and over 80% humidity when i wake up at 6:30. I overheat really easily so I'm hesitant to run now. :-/ [ETA: I don't like running on treadmills because I get crazy bad shin splints when I run on a treadmill.]

I've been wanting to restart Insanity (LOVE the program) but I haven't because I've been doing C25K and NROL4W. I'm tempted to start Insanity now because of my hesitancy to run, but I don't want to feel like I'm giving up on running or lifting, but I know Insanity is no walk in the park so I'd still be challenging myself.

I think my biggest issue is that I don't want to feel like I'm quitting or giving up. Logically, I know I wouldn't be because I'd still be doing a really intense workout, but logic and emotions don't always communicate well.

Anyone have any advice?

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I have a friend in Florida that does her running at the gym on a treadmill.

If you can't run outside, you can't run outside. You either do or you don't. Don't force yourself to feel guilty for quitting.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I have a friend in Florida that does her running at the gym on a treadmill.

If you can't run outside, you can't run outside. You either do or you don't. Don't force yourself to feel guilty for quitting.

I don't like running on a treadmill because it makes me get get shin splints pretty badly. I wish I could, cus FL weather is pretty intense. You're right, though, I shouldn't feel guilty if I can't. And it's not like I couldn't pick it up again when it's cooler... I'm just SO CLOSE to reaching 30 minutes and I really wanted to say I could do it.
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Does it cool down in the evening? I have heard humidity in FL is crazy, but maybe an evening run, or running by the water would help?
    I'm surprised to hear you say you get shin splints from the treadmill, but not outside. I'm the opposite! I have found running on a 0.5 or 1.0 incline helps on the treadmill though.
    Either way, sounds like you are going to be challenging yourself, so just stick with it and good luck!
  • emilyk000
    emilyk000 Posts: 4
    Options
    Florida heat and humidity is crazy intense, so I'm not sure these would help, but I use these neckerchief things that have some cooling gel in them when I run in the summer. You soak them in cold water and keep in the fridge. They look dorky but they work like MAGIC at helping keep me cool!
  • mariobadr
    mariobadr Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    There are p90x-insanity hybrids out there. Look them up, and swap out the p90x workouts with the NROL4W. Of course, I'm assuming your workout program is doing body part splits like p90x (e.g. chest & shoulders, biceps & back, etc.).

If you're doing full body workouts, you'll have to create a hybrid program of your own. In which case it would probably have more Pure Cardio/Plyometric insanity workouts and less Cardio Power and Resistance workouts.

And it's not giving up, you're simply changing your program. Giving up would be stopping :P
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    There are p90x-insanity hybrids out there. Look them up, and swap out the p90x workouts with the NROL4W. Of course, I'm assuming your workout program is doing body part splits like p90x (e.g. chest & shoulders, biceps & back, etc.).

If you're doing full body workouts, you'll have to create a hybrid program of your own. In which case it would probably have more Pure Cardio/Plyometric insanity workouts and less Cardio Power and Resistance workouts.

And it's not giving up, you're simply changing your program. Giving up would be stopping :P
    I would agee with this, if you have to stop the NROL4W. Insanity has body-weight exercises, but I found that it was not enough to help maintain or build lean muscle mass. At least the P90x hybrid gets in some good weight work and you can focus on lifting heavy, if you want.

I live in NE Florida, and it is getting warm when I run at 5:45...I'm acclimating, so I don't have a problem, but I can understand how you might have overheating issues.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you keep running in the heat your body will acclimate after about two weeks and make some physiological changes that help it to cool itself.

Also, you probably need to slow down a little and you won't build up heat as fast. Don't worry about getting slower. As you acclimate you will speed up some and you will be much faster when it cools off in the fall.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options

This is basically what I'm doing. I did full body with Insanity cardio month one and didn't have to alter the hybrid since the Insanity days were just Plyo and Cardio . Month 2 I'm doing splits and pretty much following a P90X hybrid exactly without the P90X. Month 3 will require a little more jiggling, but it should fit pretty well.
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same issues!!! I'm glad to see someone else has the issue because no one else I know has it happen. I overheat SO easily...if it's over 68-70 degree my head is burning, I get a BAD headache. Wearing a hat doesn't help me at all. I can't run on the treadmill I get shin splints too :( I'm buying new running shoes to see if they'll help. I overheat on treadmill as well if I go a longer distance than what I'm used to. I just started running 2 months ago but I want to increase my distance.

I'm thinking of Insanity as well. Interested to read responses..