Help! I'm GAINING weight!?!?!?

I have been really sticking to my diet and excersize plan and consistanly coming in under my calorie goal (not to an unhealthy extent, I am not starving myself) and making sure to work out in oneway or another everday for the past 8 wks, even if I only have time to take the pup on a power walk to the mail box and back (.25 miles from the house) I get up and do it.

I lost 15 lbs in 6 wks, but now in the last 2 weeks I have gained 8 lbs back?? I started at 195, and went down to 180, now I am back to 188?!?!? I double checked on a friends scale just to make sure mine hadn't messed up in some way?!?

I have been working really hard and I don't understand the weight gain?? My jeans are loose and I feel better than I have in years, I am motivated. But # on the scale yesterday brought me to tears:sad:. What is the point if it keeps coming back? :mad:

Any suggestions or feedback??

Replies

• 97lking
    97lking Posts: 2
    You're gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat, so more muscle than fat means you'll weigh more.
  • nursemickey
    nursemickey Posts: 52 Member
    As long as you are seeing results in your clothes then you are still doing well. You are building lean muscle so you well see the wt go up some. Don't go so much by the scale.
  • UPrime
    UPrime Posts: 1
    I agree with 97lking. You're probably gaining muscle and that's a real good thing because your're burning more calories overall. It sounds like you've developed good habits. It's the size of that counts. Keep going. By the way, Hi- I'm new here.
  • wilson1024
    wilson1024 Posts: 126 Member
    I have same problem too but its just muscle or water retention. I've lost in inches more then anything so as long as I'm losing something I am satisfied. But I do understand and feel your pain of not seeing the scale go down and goes up instead! I gained almost 3 lbs back on Monday but then I weighed this morning and lost 2 lbs so its like a yoyo affect with the scale, I don't even pay attention to it anymore. I know that I am eating healthy and exercising everyday and that is a good thing so only good things will come out of it in the long run is the way I look at it. Good Luck! Keep Chin Up! :)
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    You're gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat, so more muscle than fat means you'll weigh more.

Muscle does not weigh more than fat! 1 lb is 1 lb whether it is a fat lb or a muscle lb!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Muscle does not wiegh more than fat, a pound is a pound.

Muscle is denser and takes up less space....

No way to comment or help without seeing your diary.

You can be building muscle and burning fat, try measuring to see if you are getting smaller.....

Best of luck!!!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member

Muscle does not weigh more than fat! 1 lb is 1 lb whether it is a fat lb or a muscle lb!

This. Plus you don't gain 8lbs of muscle in 8 weeks. It's possibly water retention or maybe the way you ate in the 6 weeks was making you dehydrated, now you're normalizing. 8lbs in 8 weeks isn't so bad still. That's still a lb a week. With 52 weeks in a year, you'll have time to lose as much as you want.
  • Kiki829
    Kiki829 Posts: 60 Member
    [/quote]

^^^This. It drives me nuts when people say muscle weighs more. It is true that muscle is more dense than fat and takes up less area, but 1 lb. is 1 lb. whether it is fat or muscle.
  • Aldabra2009
    Aldabra2009 Posts: 6 Member
    Dont be too discouraged. At least you are loosing inches.. that is a great indicator...::flowerforyou:
  • Definitely take measurements. It is a great way to gauge progress besides the scale.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    It's funny how this is a constant battle with people and the scale. If you're eating right and your clothes fit better than you ARE gaining muscle. That is a very good thing. Atleast you should be glad it's not fat that you're gaining back. Be PROUD! Keep on keeping on.
  • Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Sorry for the disappointing weight gain.

My first thought would be you're building muscle, but 8lbs is a lot!!

Yesterday my scales said I have gained 3 lbs - i have no idea why aside from muscle gain but it can't just keep going up,

Have a look through your diary and see if there is anything you could improve on, drink more water, make sure you have a decent amount of protein daily.and keep your salt intake low.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member

^^^This. It drives me nuts when people say muscle weighs more. It is true that muscle is more dense than fat and takes up less area, but 1 lb. is 1 lb. whether it is fat or muscle.
    [/quote]

I'm wondering if they take it in the context that 8 lbs of fat show alot more than 8 lbs of mucle. That's prolly why they say muscle weighs more than fat because you notice fat alot more.
  • Can I ask what you calorie goal is?

Water retention is a big factor that might be getting you. Just a thought.
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Don't worry. Scales lie, they aren't always the best way to judge your progress. You feel good, your clothes are looser- who cares about that number? It's just that, a number. If you look and feel better then you are a SUCCESS. Get a tape measure and track your progress that way and keep doing what you're doing! Congratulations!
  • vwrynn
    vwrynn Posts: 6
    If you consume too few calories, your body goes into starvation mode and you gain weight. Try bumping up your caloric intake a couple hundred a day for a couple weeks and see what happens. It worked for me.
  • Ding724
    Ding724 Posts: 791 Member

Sorry, I have to agree. One of my biggest pet peeves!

1 lb = 1 lb

...the difference is that muscle takes up way less space. However, I don't think you could have possibly gained 8 lbs of muscle OR fat in 2 weeks. It's most likely water. How is your sodium intake? Sodium retains water!
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Check to see how accurate your calorie counting is. You may be giving yourself too many exercise calories and not enough on your food counts.

The 8 pound lost and then reganed may have been water weight. I don't trust a weight until I've been at it for more then a couple of days.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member

Sorry, but this is flat out wrong. It's alarming how many people think this is an acceptable answer, or even possible.

A professional body builder could not gain 8 pounds of muscle in such a short period of time. And even if they could, it would be done by an extreme calorie surplus. If you're at a calorie deficit, you're not going to gain weight from either fat or muscle. That's simple thermodynamics.

As a side note, anyone else annoyed by the "A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle!" puppets? If I said that a Chevy Silverado weighs more than a newborn kitten, only an idiot would say "That's not true! A pound of Chevy Silverado weighs the same as a pound of newborn kitten!" Come on.
  • 97lking
    97lking Posts: 2
    Ohh, I never realised. I just supposed. I played sports for years and gained weight, and I just figured that was why.