Do you think it's the shoes?

Options
I bought a pair of Asics Gel Nimbus running shoes a few months ago. They were comfy for that whole 5 minutes I walked around the shoe store pondering whether or not to buy them. That was really my only though in decision making---comfort! But, I have noticed that when I'm kickboxing OR even walking at a very quick pace, my feet/knees hurt so bad during and after the workout. This has NEVER been an issue for me before. I walked 2.5 miles with a friend last night...not all level ground...and I took my shoes off before driving home. It was terrible. Could it be my shoes?

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Where do your feet hurt? Does it feel like muscle or bone or is it a burning pain on the bottom of your feet. I would think if you aren't running in them, you would do better with some cross trainers or walking shoes rather than running shoes.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Certainly could be. I assume you weren't fitted for the shoes at all, just went into a generic sporting good store or wherever, tried on whatever shoes you liked and bought the ones that felt the best?

Fit problems = support problems which can cause all kinds of issues. For me, I rarely have pain in my foot, but shin splints, knee and hip pain are pretty common. But foot pain is certainly a possibility.
  • bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    I found that I had trouble with foot pain and went to a store to have my feet checked for the appropriate type of shoe. I can tell you that it made all the difference when I changed shoes. So I'm going to say it's very possible your shoes are causing you pain. I was also told at the store that different shoes are meant for different purposes, so a running shoe might not necessarily be best for say class exercising.
  • kristibag81
    kristibag81 Posts: 61
    Options
    Where do your feet hurt? Does it feel like muscle or bone or is it a burning pain on the bottom of your feet?.

mainly where my arch is! :( it's more like throbbing pain.

I have an active friend who says I need to go to an athletic shoe store in town that makes you do several types of tests (not sure what) to determine what type of shoe works best for your foot...I have yet to do this...I'm starting to think I should.
  • kristibag81
    Options
    I do jog occasionally, but most of my exercise does come from aerobics classes and walking.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Where do your feet hurt? Does it feel like muscle or bone or is it a burning pain on the bottom of your feet?.

I have an active friend who says I need to go to an athletic shoe store in town that makes you do several types of tests (not sure what) to determine what type of shoe works best for your foot...I have yet to do this...I'm starting to think I should.

I think your friend is right. I don't think you are using the right shoe for the activities you are doing.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

Yes! Do this! It's SO worth it. I was having such terrible knee pain that I thought I was going to need PT and possibly to quit running. Got fitted for new shoes and a within a week, the knee pain was almost gone.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

A quality store will look at your feet and your gait and determine the best shoe for you. I know there are some differences between cross trainers and running shoes and whatever else, but the most important thing is to get shoes that properly support your foot, especially through the mid-foot.

Regardless, stay away from those "shaping" shoes... the ones with the curved or bubbled soles. They are ok for walking, but aren't stable enough for anything more than that (especially lateral movements) and can increase the potential for injury.
  • Gutter19
    Gutter19 Posts: 141
    Options
    Running shoes are made for running in a linear direction. They do not provide much support for quick turns or lateral movement. You will want to get properly fitted for walking or running shoes and some type of cross trainer or something else for other types of exercise.
  • Stasha17
    Stasha17 Posts: 28
    Options
    Of course its the shoes. I have two pair of shoes. One for running "running" shoes and cross training shoes for the aerobic workouts. Check your support and arch
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You can get an orthopedic insert, or specialty insole for your shoes at running stores if you need more arch support.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I just wanna speak up and say I have the same pair of shoes. I use them for running and have for several months. They work for me just fine. I haven't experienced any foot pain whatsoever. That said, everyone has different needs for their feet. Sounds like it's time to get fitted for a new pair.
  • kristibag81
    Options
    I'm going to try to head to the shoe store this weekend and get fitted. Thank you all for the advice and info.
  • NICOLED73
    NICOLED73 Posts: 183
    Options
    I had arch pain and I ignored it. I ended up tearing my plantar fascia ligament and wearing a boot for 2 months while it healed.
    My pediatrist told me to look at the heel of the shoe and make sure it's square or flat. The shoes I was wearing when I ripped it were angled at the heel.
    Listen to your feet and go get better shoes!
    :)
  • candytag
    candytag Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Do not ignore knee pain. I had knee pain from walking! Yes walking I tried to walk it out then both knees started hurting to the point of not being able to walk except in horrible pain. I had stress fractured both knees. Out and in pain for over a year and a half. Please get new shoes asap.