I'm losing weight but not SIZES... suggestions?

I have lost 20 pounds since the end of January but I dont think that I am losing as far as dropping in sizes.
Granted my clothes are a little more baggy then before, but nothing significant...
Saying WOW I HAVE WENT FROM A SIZE OF BEING BORDER LINE 12/14 INTO BORDER LINE 10/12s doesn't seem as exciting.
Bascially one size, if even......It just doesn't seem like much of a difference for losing 20 pounds...

Suggestions on losing SIZES rather then just WEIGHT.
Is it typical to only lose HARDLY even a size with 20 pounds?

Replies

• Jennie010
    Jennie010 Posts: 1 Member
    I always had heard that 20 pounds equals a dress size so it seems like you are about right on target.
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    I'm the same way. I can be a size 12 from about 150-180. I carry all my weight in my thighs though, and they're the last to go, so the last thing I lose is pants sizes. From 200 to 162 I've gone from a 14/16 to a 12. Oh well.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    Easy, stop worrying about weight and start concentrating on cutting fat. Cutting fat is what gives you that figure you want. And you cut fat but doing heavy weight training and eating closer to your TDEE (20% deficit). You can literally lose 0 lbs and cut a dress size.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    What are you doing for exercise? Building some muscle will shrink your size.
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Then that might be my problem... I focus on more cardio with light weights.... I am definately not and have never been a heavy weight lifter.

Is there something I can do to improve my strenght with heavy weights... I know that sounds silly but I have tried starting with the heaviest weight that I can which is actually quiet light, and gradually increasing the weight, but for some reason I cannot lift a lot of weight. It hurts my shoulders too bad.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    I lost 45 pounds and went from a solid 20 to a solid 18...and just in the last 5 pounds or so can I cram myself into a 16.

I lost mostly from my face, chest and shoulders at first...so it all depends on the person.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    You can start with bodyweight resistance exercises, pushups, pullups, squats, lunges and crunches. Unless you have a gym membership.
  • xarla16
    xarla16 Posts: 84 Member
    I've lost 18 lbs and I'm down about a size.
  • bassanne
    bassanne Posts: 56
    I have lost 21lbs, and just started to be able to fit into the next smaller size, barely. Keep it up.
  • Natty0506
    Natty0506 Posts: 103 Member
    If you want to start losing fat and toning up, try www.bodyrock.tv. They use your body weight instead of actual weights.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Shelby, I think you look AWESOME regardless of dress size!

Just think of dress sizes as a vanity thing. Ask yourself "Do I feel better in my own skin right now" - and at a 20lb weight loss, you should!

:))))
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    Then that might be my problem... I focus on more cardio with light weights.... I am definately not and have never been a heavy weight lifter.

Is there something I can do to improve my strenght with heavy weights... I know that sounds silly but I have tried starting with the heaviest weight that I can which is actually quiet light, and gradually increasing the weight, but for some reason I cannot lift a lot of weight. It hurts my shoulders too bad.

Unfortunately, this is mentality of most women (not to stereotype). Just start with weights heavy enough that make you struggle that last 3 reps. Eventually, you will increase strength.
  • suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    I'm the same way. I can be a size 12 from about 150-180. I carry all my weight in my thighs though, and they're the last to go, so the last thing I lose is pants sizes. From 200 to 162 I've gone from a 14/16 to a 12. Oh well.

This^^

I'm a pear. My weight is in my hips and thighs. I lose weight and my middle keeps getting smaller but my pants size stays the same. C'est la vie. Such is life. You are losing which is a battle in itself. You might want to try weight lifting and toning if you aren't already. You may just have to accept that chipping away at sizes will be slow going for you.

Either way, you are doing great! Keep up the good work!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Resistance train! Make sure what you lose is fat! Losing 1 pound of fat will reduce your volume (size) by more than losing 1 lb of muscle, since muscle is denser.