How?

Options
How do you find the motivation to exercise? What the heck can I do?!?! I'm not a gym member nor do I want to be. I like to work out at home, I do enjoy working out when I actually get started but I can't get myself to. I have P90X and 30DS at home plus a nice private road to run on plus a more than willing running partner (my dog) plus a treadmill if the weather is gloomy. I have all the tools and resources at my disposal but I just can't find my motivation.

I am not a morning person and have tried to exercise in the morning but don't know how anyone can do it. I'm so weak and tired. So I always try and work out after I get home from work. Pleaes any tips and tricks would be great. Even just a simple, "quit your b*tching and get off your *kitten*" would suffice if you feel that's helpful. Just tell me how! to find that motivation!!

Replies

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    HTFU

Harden the F Up.

Seriously. Any time I feel like skipping a workout I tell myself this.

Also, I like being able to do the things I enjoy. Exercise and a healthy diet are the only things that will allow me to continue to do these things well into my old age.
  • Init_to_winit
    Init_to_winit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Right. I like it.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I just tell myself to get up and do it. I also remind myself of how much better I feel afterwards. I've never once regretted doing a workout, however I have regretted not doing one.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I just do it. Skipping is not an option and excuses aren't allowed. I treat it like my job and parenting. You do it regardless:).
  • tbear358
    tbear358 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    "Boy, do I regret doing that workout!" - No one. Ever.
  • kj55
    kj55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with this The above posts that is
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of your goals and your determination to meet those goals. Figure out why you want it, then focus on that. Good luck. :)
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    HTFU

Harden the F Up.

Seriously. Any time I feel like skipping a workout I tell myself this.

Also, I like being able to do the things I enjoy. Exercise and a healthy diet are the only things that will allow me to continue to do these things well into my old age.

^ This. and there's a quote on the wall at my gym/work that says "Once you're out the door to go exercise, the hardest part is over with."
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Find a workout that feels less like working out. Kick boxing, dance, fishing, swimming, hiking, wild sex, peddal boating, climbing whatever floats your boat. It doesn't have to be unenjoyable!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    How do you find the motivation to exercise? What the heck can I do?!?! I'm not a gym member nor do I want to be. I like to work out at home, I do enjoy working out when I actually get started but I can't get myself to. I have P90X and 30DS at home plus a nice private road to run on plus a more than willing running partner (my dog) plus a treadmill if the weather is gloomy. I have all the tools and resources at my disposal but I just can't find my motivation.

I am not a morning person and have tried to exercise in the morning but don't know how anyone can do it. I'm so weak and tired. So I always try and work out after I get home from work. Pleaes any tips and tricks would be great. Even just a simple, "quit your b*tching and get off your *kitten*" would suffice if you feel that's helpful. Just tell me how! to find that motivation!!

Quit finding excuses.

"Shut up and run" - Nike
  • mississippi_queen
    mississippi_queen Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I just tell myself to get up and do it. I also remind myself of how much better I feel afterwards. I've never once regretted doing a workout, however I have regretted not doing one.

^^^^^ This^^^^^^

And plus if I can ever just get up and get started then I don't ever say hmmm I think I made a bad choice working out today. I think i'll quit. I always get into it. Hope this helps. :bigsmile:
  • raldag
    raldag Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can usually get myself going on those slow days by tell myself I'll only work out for 30 minutes. Almost always, even though I have given myself permission to stop at that point, I find myself going longer.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I keep my running clothes by the door, I come in, get changed in the hallway and go straight out again. No sitting, If I sit, I'm done for.
  • moskinnny
    moskinnny Posts: 118
    Options
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Says it all!!
  • Init_to_winit
    Init_to_winit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I just do it. Skipping is not an option and excuses aren't allowed. I treat it like my job and parenting. You do it regardless:).

I like this. Maybe if instead of getting home from work at 4:30 or 5 and considering that my downtime. I don't "get home" and have downtime at home until like 5:30 or 6. Yes I like this.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options

Honestly, I was too anxious to attend the gym but I could not find the motivation to work out at home either so I was going no where. I ended up buying a new pair of heaphones and a membership at the YMCA, which I have found is not quite as intimidating as some of the other gyms, and I started taking classes. It was hard at first. I probably sweat more over the anxiety but in just 10 days I felt like I had overcome my fear and was motivated every day to return.

I joined a Biggest Loser Contest and knowing that weigh in comes every Monday also keeps me motivated to go to the gym every day. I take Sunday's off because they don't offer childcare but tend to do something active on that day as well.

It really is just a matter of saying to yourself, "Knock it off and get to work otherwise nothing will change."
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    this sounds like shameless self promotion, but its not cause i dont benefit here- but everyday in my MFP blog I feature a new way to motivate your own self to do something.
  • VenomousDuck
    VenomousDuck Posts: 206
    Options
    I set a crazy goal of doing a triathlon in August.

I HAVE TO WORKOUT!
  • Pisc2749
    Pisc2749 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you want something bad enough, there are no excuses. It's really that simple. The time of day won't matter, weather won't matter (much). You find a way.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Look at yourself completely naked in your mirror...
    Pinch parts of your body you want to improve on.
    Identify an activity you like.
    Then enlist a friend/spouse/whoever to give you company.
    Seriously, that is what I did! I was...am just like you. I hate sweating/exercising but I make myself go burn 800-1000 cals per day or strength train. The results that you see in the mirror when you're naked is so worth it!