Dr Oz calorie confusion plan

Options
Did anyone see the Dr. Oz show where he talked about his 7 day calorie confusion diet?
He said to keep from starvation mode, you eat a 1200 calorie diet with a couple of days of a 2000 calorie diet including dessert.
What are your thoughts? I'm tempted to try it.

Replies

• karendsmith
    karendsmith Posts: 167
    Options
    I didn't see it, but what is it suppose to do? Make you drop weight quicker????
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    Also called calorie cycling...

I do it a little...but not religiously. It works for me because some days I am hungry and some not...I just keep my weekly calories at a slight deficit...some days I go over by 300, some days I am under by the same amount.

Calories are not day-specific by any means. An extra 500 calories on ONE day ONCE a month still turns into a pound gained in 7 months. Weight loss is the same...a deficit is a deficit...daily, weekly, monthly...still equals a loss. :)

A lot of people like the same number each day because it's easier to *budget* their meals.
  • karendsmith
    Options
    So if I fo over by 500 cals one day and then another I am under by 500 cals, I wont gain the 7 lbs???
  • karendsmith
    Options
    i mean a pound in seven months!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Did anyone see the Dr. Oz show where he talked about his 7 day calorie confusion diet?
    He said to keep from starvation mode, you eat a 1200 calorie diet with a couple of days of a 2000 calorie diet including dessert.

Lol and what did he say about "starvation mode"?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Yes, Dr. Oz's plan is to cause confusion. Don't be a sucker.
  • Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I didn't see it, but I've heard that your calories average out anyway. So, what it may be doing in eating the 2000 cal days is making sure you're overall average is high enough that your body doesn't start hoarding fat. However, I'm no expert so take it for what it's worth! I know some people like to have a higher calorie day just to "wake up" the body when they've been eating low for a while.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    If your body requires 2000 calories (example) to maintain...and you eat 60,000 calories in 30 days, you will maintain. You may fluctuate within the month, but you will not have a gain or loss, barring any change in exercise.

Doesn't matter what day you eat the calories.

I am at 1690 calories per day. If I eat 2000 one day and 1380 the next, I am still within my goal. Using the weekly tracker on MFP is really helpful for this.
  • karendsmith
    Options
    The ABC diet sounds horrible! I think Dr Oz is a bit confusing! I'll stick to my daily calorie goals, somedays I might go over by a little and some days I might be a bit under, it all depends. I try to stay close to it every day!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Sounds like Dr. Oz stole this from the A.B.C diet (Anorexic Boot Camp Diet)
    to keep your metabolism going and changing, should work
    wtf.gif
  • LouisCyphre
    LouisCyphre Posts: 10
    Options
    I think the basic point is to not get into a routine...just like most things in our lives, you want to mix it up once in a while. If you do the same workout or set of workouts on a regular basis, your body will adjust and you'll find the benefits decreasing; likewise, if you eat the same things everyday for a protracted time, your body will adjust and the benefits will decrease.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    This is not any new thing. Lots of people zig zag calories.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

My thoughts? Stop listening to that dude.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Sounds like Dr. Oz stole this from the A.B.C diet (Anorexic Boot Camp Diet)
    to keep your metabolism going and changing, should work

The ABC Diet Plan
    Week Mon Tues Wed Thurs Fri Sat Sun
    Week 1 500 500 300 400 100 200 300
    Week 2 400 500 Fast 150 200 400 350
    Week 3 250 200 Fast 200 100 Fast 300
    Week 4 250 200 150 100 50 100 200
    Week 5 200 300 800 Fast 250 350 450
    Week 6 Fast 500 450 400 350 300 250
    Week 7 200 200 250 200 300 200 150
    Week 8 Fast Slowly return to a normal diet

Um...?
  • nov1951
    nov1951 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This isn't anything new - it is also called the Wendy plan. It is meant to shake things so your body doesn' t get used to the same thing everyday.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Cycling is a legitimate method of losing fat. It can work really well for people who do NOT deal with being in a deficit very easily. You can create any type of cycle that works for you..... but it's not just dieting for a few days and then pigging out when you feel like it.

For example if you do a 7 day cycle - you might do 5 days at a deficit of 500 calories and then have two days where you eat AT maintenance. NOT above. You will still be in a deficit overall for the week, but you feel less deprived because you have days where you eat more. The theory is you will be able to stick with it better.j

LeighPeele.com talks a lot about cycling.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Ugh...Dr. Oz...

ETA: This is not a dig at the OP. Just don't like the guy. He talks outta both sides of his mouth too much. Lots of people calorie cycle/zig zag. If what you're doing isn't working, it's worth a shot. But if what you're doing is working, I'd save it until you need it.
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Oh I do this "diet" on a monthly cycle:
    - Normal weeks I eat my suggested calories.
    - Week before PMS week i feel awesome & not super hungry... for me this was last week & for the total week I was 1200+ cals under.
    - Week of PMS... I'm a gorging cow & hungry all the time... I eat the prev week's cals back. On my 2 "bad" (extra cravings/hungry) days I go over each day by about 600 cals.

It all evens out & I don't turn out being such an awful ***** :) Oh & I lost 9lbs last month :drinker:
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I do zig zag calorie & carb also.
    I do like it. Because there are days I don't like to eat and vice versa. I also can save my calorie for certain event in the week.
    I only have to make sure I have enough protein for the day and that's it.
    Eating high calorie once a week, helps regulate hormones and keep metabolism high.
    Since I'm on a schedule for workout ( 6 days), my weekly calorie is (TDEE - 20%) x 7. I don't have to think about how much exercise calorie I have to eat back.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The Rotation diet has been around since the 1980's. Glad to see Dr. Oz invented this (again).