sweat is making me break out.....!!!

stopping is not an option, however. I'm drinking 4pints of water per day, washing my face before and after working out, doing my skincare routine post workout at night, keeping it light in the mornings and only wearing moisturiser in the day.

*sigh* idk what's making me break out but it's only since i've been working up a serious sweat in my workout :C

any skin experts out there who can help me get through this? i'm in my 30's - i should be WELL past acne at this stage!

Replies

• emmamcc1981
    emmamcc1981 Posts: 133 Member
    bump xx
  • BigMike915
    BigMike915 Posts: 112 Member
    I am no expert, far from it actually, but what works for me is Cetaphil. It's just a facial cleanser that you can buy anywhere. I used to break out in the summer months because I sweated a lot. When I started using it I had no more breakouts besides a few here and there, which is very rare now.
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    What are you washing your face with? It took me a little experimentation, because some face washes overdry/irritate my face, but washing just with water wasn't quite working, either. Now I use a gentle cleanser after workouts and don't worry about getting a scrub before.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    might not be sweat. Might be from germs on gym equipment. You touch the equipment then you touch your face.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    I also use cetephil
    If I happen to be having a breakout I also will wipe that area with a bit of tea tree oil (does NOT smell good) and it clears up pretty quickly.
  • emmamcc1981
    What are you washing your face with? It took me a little experimentation, because some face washes overdry/irritate my face, but washing just with water wasn't quite working, either. Now I use a gentle cleanser after workouts and don't worry about getting a scrub before.

hmmm - my skin is quite dry, so i tend not to use anything but water, but you might be right about that not cutting it. i will look at that cetaphil stuff too....
  • emmamcc1981
    might not be sweat. Might be from germs on gym equipment. You touch the equipment then you touch your face.

i hope not, i work out at home! :P
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,810 Member

hmmm - my skin is quite dry, so i tend not to use anything but water, but you might be right about that not cutting it. i will look at that cetaphil stuff too....

There's your problem...you need to use some sort of cleanser. I have extremely oily skin so I have to use heavy duty stuff, but a gentle cream cleanser should help you out!
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
    I'm also in my early 30s and no acne problems (except for the occasional zit). However, sometimes my chest breaks out after a work out. I try cleaning it right after exercising and it does help. I use either cotton balls dampened with some kind of cleanser/toner/etc or some of those prepackaged towelettes, or at the very least some tissues or paper towels. It helps cleansing and removing the sweat right away.

Edit: typos
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Acne has no age. LOL! I use Cetaphil. In the past I have used an Aveeno Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser. Neutrogena also has some nice cleansers. Cetaphil is probably cheaper, it comes in a big 16 ounce pump bottle vs. small bottles of the other brands.
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member

There's your problem...you need to use some sort of cleanser. I have extremely oily skin so I have to use heavy duty stuff, but a gentle cream cleanser should help you out!

I agree.
  • emmamcc1981
    i'm also just realising that i am still using serum AND moisturiser - but it's not winter anymore!! duh! OK, i'm getting it now... hehe
  • emmamcc1981

I agree.

thank you peeps! x
  • Raqfox
    Raqfox Posts: 11 Member
    How long are you waiting until you shower? Sometimes after I work out I don't shower right away, and I might break out on my back. Letting sweat dry on you will cause problems fast. Or maybe try and wipe with a towel if you can't shower right away.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    It's not sweat that makes you break out, it's bacteria. Just like it's not sweat that creates BO smells, its bacteria. The best thing to do is to wash your face and anything else that breaks out ASAP after working out and definitely use a cleanser. I use a benzoyl peroxide soap which has antibacterial properties and fights infection, but it's very drying. If you can't wash up right away, get some face-wipes or baby wipes to keep on hand and just wipe down after the workout.