C25K week one, day - did it kick your *kitten*?

Options

Replies

• Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Every week for me so far is really :

Day 1: Kill me please.
    Day 2: This is hard, but I can do this.
    Day 3: Can't wait to try next week.

On repeat pretty much. About to start week 4. Don't give up :)
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    The first week of C25K was doable for me. Not too bad. But week 2 started this week and it KILLED ME. I was dying... Haha. No, really. DYING. DEAD. Barely made it.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Every week for me so far is really :

Day 1: Kill me please.
    Day 2: This is hard, but I can do this.
    Day 3: Can't wait to try next week.

On repeat pretty much. About to start week 4. Don't give up :)

I really hope this is the pattern I follow... because it sounds like progress. :)
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Stick with it! Your body needs to adjust to the demands you make of it. It won't happen overnight. About 8 months ago, I couldn't run to my mailbox and back. I did the C25K thing and have built up quite a reserve.

Today I ran 8.5 miles without stopping. If I can do it, then anyone can! And I credit the c25k approach to training.

Good luck!
    :)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting it. It takes guts! I had been pondering doing c25k for a while but was too chicken.
    I just finished week one, day 2. So far it's been a breeze but I walk a lot to begin with. It'll catch up with me before long and I'll be crying. lol
    Good luck and WE CAN DO THIS! Other people do so why can't we? :)
  • aphillips8180
    aphillips8180 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I really struggled and *sadly* never finished it. I was trying to do it with a friend and she struggled worse than I did so eventually we quit. Now that I think back on it, it did get easier for me... I was just at a bad point with eating & exercising. I've been thinking about trying again. Good for you and most definitely stick with it! :)
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Yep me too! The first run if the week is always killer, by the final one you'll be like la la la! I finished C25K and am now training for a 10K, 20mins is now a quick run, before C25K that seemed SO unachievabke. It is a wonderful prog stick with it and trust it will work!
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was thinking about starting C25K. I already did 30DS and was wanting to try something different. The problem I am having is that I have never been a runner. I am not sure that I am actually interested in entering a 5K race but rather just being able to run. I just hear of so many people that love to run...I guess I could give it a shot and see how it goes??

I'm not a runner, never been a runner, never thought I could possibly be a runner but when I decided I wanted to get fit and healthy I knew that for me, running was something I wanted to incorporate into my lifestyle. I think if you are looking to switch up your routine and want to challenge yourself you should definitely go for it!
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    c25k changed my life. Prior to c25k I wouldn't run if you told me I could get Manolos on sale for $5 dollars, but routinely walked the dog. Then I tried it and I think that with the walk/run intervals it didn't overwhelm me and I fell madly passionately head over heels in love with running. I'm so glad to see all of the new c25kers. And the answer is yes.....my body was actually even tired all the time. I needed way more sleep than I had been getting, but my body did adjust. At this point my longest run has been 7 miles. I run minimum 3 days a week. I want to run more, but try to hold myself back so that I don't get injured. Aside from that....best wishes! Let us all know when you do your 5k race!!!!
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    The first thing I learned was that I didn't have to run full-out on the run segments. Once I got past that old gym-teacher mentality, I was OK.

I was having this issue and a friend of mine (who runs marathons) gave me a great saying. "I am a completer, not a competer". It has really stuck with me.
  • soontobesam
    Options
    c25k changed my life. Prior to c25k I wouldn't run if you told me I could get Manolos on sale for $5 dollars, but routinely walked the dog. Then I tried it and I think that with the walk/run intervals it didn't overwhelm me and I fell madly passionately head over heels in love with running. I'm so glad to see all of the new c25kers. And the answer is yes.....my body was actually even tired all the time. I needed way more sleep than I had been getting, but my body did adjust. At this point my longest run has been 7 miles. I run minimum 3 days a week. I want to run more, but try to hold myself back so that I don't get injured. Aside from that....best wishes! Let us all know when you do your 5k race!!!!

I love this - stories like these gave me hope that I can survive the program!!
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    i did my first C2K run yesterday and was surprisingly hard! but im now committed to make a change! :)

I know, right?!? I was like "run for 60, walk for 90? psh, I got this." Riiiiight...

Haha, yep, that's us. My friend and I do it. I weigh 357 and she weighs in the 320's, and it's haaaaaaaaaaaaaaard.

We're on week 1, been on it for 3 weeks now, bc we don't want to move on till we can complete it. We don't care how slow, lol.

On Monday, we compeleted our very first interval of jogging. We actually stopped in the middle of the neighborhood street and high fived, lol. Then about 3 minutes later, we completed ANOTHER interval. TWO of them! We're so excited!

Unfortunately, a crazy-bad heat rash has taken me out of the C25K game this week, but we're hoping to finish all 3 days of W1 next week! :)

Good luck!!!!!!!
  • kimr41
    kimr41 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I am currently trying C25k, haven't got past Day 1 Week 1. I never knew 60 sec was sooo long. I can now run the complete 60 secs but I have to walk more than 90 sec still to get my breath for the next round of 60 sec run. It has gotten a little easier but I am a long, long ways from where I hope to be.
  • Whutto1
    Whutto1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think I will go and ahead and challege myself to start the program. Who knows I may learn to love running. Reading all of your stories gives me motivation. As soon as my husband get home to watch the kids I will try it! Thanks!
  • soontobesam
    Options
    No matter how slow we go - we are still lapping the people sitting on the couch!!

Use the program as your guideline but make it work for you. If you need to repeat a week, repeat a week - it's your own personal race. As long as you go out and challenge yourself each time - you're winning.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I love this - stories like these gave me hope that I can survive the program!!
    [/quote]

You Can and more importantly you WILL not only survive, but fall in love also..and I agree with your boyfriend every day out there is a race you are winning!
  • paramedicsarah
    Options
    Like lots of others, I laughed at the 'run 90 seconds' instruction & then promptly nearly died out there actually doing it! I haven't ever been a runner really but completed the C25k program about a week ago & I'm now running a comfortable 5k in about 31 minutes. I've started pushing the first mile as I'm applying for the air ambulance & need a mile in under 9 mins. Today I ran it in 8:51! I joined MFP to get fitter & it's certainly working for me!!

Best of luck to all of you starting out with it! X
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Haha, yep, that's us. My friend and I do it. I weigh 357 and she weighs in the 320's, and it's haaaaaaaaaaaaaaard.

We're on week 1, been on it for 3 weeks now, bc we don't want to move on till we can complete it. We don't care how slow, lol.

On Monday, we compeleted our very first interval of jogging. We actually stopped in the middle of the neighborhood street and high fived, lol. Then about 3 minutes later, we completed ANOTHER interval. TWO of them! We're so excited!

Unfortunately, a crazy-bad heat rash has taken me out of the C25K game this week, but we're hoping to finish all 3 days of W1 next week! :)

Good luck!!!!!!!

That's awesome. Good for you and your friend :)
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    No matter how slow we go - we are still lapping the people sitting on the couch!!

That needed to be repeated!!
  • Whutto1
    Whutto1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Well I did it...I did day 1 and I am pleasantly suprised how well I did. I actually enjoyed it. How do you all log it....I don't have a HRM??