I think I got high!

Options
A runner's high that is. I never understood how anyone could become addicted to running when everytime I ran I felt like I was going to die. But today I finished week 5 of C25K, which means I ran for 20 minutes straight! Granted I went rather slow, but I did not stop. I am so proud of myself. After the first 7 minutes or so, I started to feel giddy. I couldn't feel my legs anymore; I just kept moving. I don't know if that was a runner's high or not, but I LOVED it! I can't wait to start week 6.

I also hit the 10 lbs. loss mark this week. So yay for me and this awesome week!

P.S. You "guys" are amazing! So supportive and inspiring. Thanks for everything!

Replies

• michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I loved it so much and got so hooked that I'm running the Chicago Marathon in October! It is sooo addictive and the runner's high is REAL!
  • klhain
    klhain Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Great Job! It's great to find an activity that you love. Keep up the good work.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic!! :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    watch it is really addictive :glasses:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I haven't started running yet, but I have experienced that endorphin rush and yes, it's addicting and awesome. :happy:
  • klaflamme
    klaflamme Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've always dreaded running but I love your post - its inspirational. I feel the same way about the Zumba class I recently started going to - I love it.

Way to go on your 10 pound loss! :flowerforyou:
  • blakgarnet
    Options
    I just finished week 1 of couch to 5K, and it's good to know that you're having such a good experience with it.
  • shinybonnie
    Options
    Wow, that is amazing! Are you sure your legs weren't just numb from the pain of running? Lol! I can't imagine running for 20 minutes straight! I can barely run for 2 minutes. So, really, you couldn't feel your legs? And this was a good feeling?
  • kimberjones
    Options
    I've thought about doing the c25k program but i HATE!!!!! to run. Has anyone else started it that hated running and ended up enjoying it???
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. Now that my body is getting back into shape, I can jog for 20 minutes no problem on the treadmill. I am now wanting to use the treadmill all the time at the gym, but I need to mix it up to keep my body from getting too used to one thing.
  • katie517
    Options
    I've thought about doing the c25k program but i HATE!!!!! to run. Has anyone else started it that hated running and ended up enjoying it???

Oh yes; I absolutely hated running before this program. But I think it was because I was impatient and pushed myself too hard in the beginning. My my lungs would burn, my throat and heart would hurt and I could not walk the next day. If you stick to the C25K program, it builds you up gradually. I always feel like I am pushing myself, but not to the point of death anymore. :laugh: And if you have a hard time a certain week, you can always repeat.

I decided to try it because I always wanted to look like a runner (long, lean muscles) and I found out that the only way to look like a runner is to be a runner. :grumble: So here I go.
  • katie517
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the congratulations! It really means a lot to me. I really believe this site has changed my life.

I was at a Bacherlorette Party last night and was planning on going over my calorie limit. :drinker: However, I ate light for breakfast and lunch and rollerbladed 13 miles. And when I logged everything in this morning, I was still under my cals. I know the cals I took in weren't the most nutritious, but still ... The pizza I had at dinner was too greasy for my stomach to handle (never would have said that 2 months ago). And I cut way back on my drinking, so I only "needed" 3 beers to have a good time.

MFP has brainwashed me. :flowerforyou:
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the congratulations! It really means a lot to me. I really believe this site has changed my life.

I was at a Bacherlorette Party last night and was planning on going over my calorie limit. :drinker: However, I ate light for breakfast and lunch and rollerbladed 13 miles. And when I logged everything in this morning, I was still under my cals. I know the cals I took in weren't the most nutritious, but still ... The pizza I had at dinner was too greasy for my stomach to handle (never would have said that 2 months ago). And I cut way back on my drinking, so I only "needed" 3 beers to have a good time.

Great job! :smile:
  • lolakey
    Options

I started about a year and a half ago with the c25k. I ran my first 5k at the end of it at an okay pace. I was a little disappointed in my time and quit after that (it snowed in April ... nobody showed up, but the hardcore athletes and I felt like an idiot). BUT, I started running again about 4 months ago. I now can run less than a 9 minute mile and feel really good. Never, ever thought I would like running as much as I do. Try it ... what could it hurt?
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    It's crazy isn't it! I never understood why people ran but now I do!
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options

Totally jumping in here from the roof but... I ate some greasy crap over the weekend and yesterday evening I was literally bent over in pain from the whatever was going on in my stomach. That used to be my main food source, grease, LOL. Its weird how you can change.

But to running, I get high off it almost every time now. It's actually not a good thing, its your body's way to protect you from the trauma running puts on it. So its a good and bad thing. If you feel it, you know your body is working really hard, but you are also doing minor damage. (nothing that won't heal and get stronger though :happy: )
  • Road2Hotness
    Options
    That is awesome! I've been thinking about starting to run myself because my brothers ask me everyday if I want to join them. I used to run before I gained all the weight and I love it when I ran. Keep up the great work and staying motivated.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I was definitley one of those people who hated running. I mean everything would jiggle, my boobs would practically hit me in the chin and I would be out of breath in 30 sec. I was also really self conscious running. Thus, i decided to challenge myself with the couch to 5 k program. I mean if I could do that I could do anything. After pushing through my initial dislike for running I have learnt to really enjoy it. I have my first race a 1/2 marathon in Oct. I totally know the runners high you mean. And I understand the feeling with your legs. It is kinda like hitting auto pilot. I am still a slow runner and some days are harder than others but it is surprising how quickly you can improve and how enjoyable it can be. Yesterday I wanted to run 4 miles (part of my training for the marathon). But unfortunatley my legs were still too sore from running 7 miles on the weekend. So I had to speed walk most of it. I was surprised to find myself quite upset. I actually wanted to run, it was like my body wanted me to run. Weird I know. Anyways, so I risked it and ran for 10mins before deciding not to push my luck. After all the last thing I want is a serious injury to prevent me from running for weeks or months.

Anyways, congrats on discovering the joy of running!:happy:
  • cheshirekat
    cheshirekat Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Oh I totally know what you are talking about! I love getting like 30 minutes into the run and kind of forgetting that I am running at that point (unless its really hot out), and I look down and my legs are just.. going still, its very empowering. And when I am done, after my cool down, I love to lay down in the grass and close my eyes and my body just feels good. I'm also finding out, running is also good for getting over nasty breakups haha.
  • kokonutmama
    Options

Yep. I did the program because I found myself telling my (4yo) son "don't say 'can't' you just are having a hard time..." out of one side of my mouth and "I can't run" out of the other. So, I started the C25K and found that I _could_ run and now, while I would still rather do the elliptical, swim or bike, I sometimes go for a run for fun or stress releif and do really enjoy it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!