Anyone sucessfully complete 30DS with a bad knee?

Options
cjwalker81
cjwalker81 Posts: 189 Member
I started the 30DS a little while back, after like 6 days, my knee could not take it anymore (had surgery a little over a year ago, meniscus trimmed and torn ACL replaced by my own hamstrings). I see such great results from everyone, esp on their tummys...just wondering what replacement moves I could do that would be just as effective in stead of doing all the jumping jacks and jump rope moves. The constant pounding on the knee just doesn't work :( Suggestions?

Currently my exercise consists of elliptical only.

Replies

• katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I do it all low impact at the moment, all 3 levels as I have had a stress fracture to my ankle. I was pretty fit before the fracture and missed working out, so now I am back to doing it without bouncing. Things like mountain climbers I can do low impact, I just variate anything that could hurt or damage. I sometimes do all 3 levels straight after each other as I am unable to work as hard as I like or am able to do. Good luck
  • bellefille
    bellefille Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this question. I am also interested in the responses as I had my meniscus trimmed two years ago and cannot do lunges or squats since then.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I do 30ds with a painful knee its not as bed now ive lost weight but I just do whatever I can manage and dont over do certain movements good luck x
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Nope...30 day shred aggravated my old knee injury.
    I believe it was on level 2 ...balance on one foot, kick with other leg & lift up weights. or the front, then backwards lunges, I can't remember. Anyway, I probably should have modified those.
  • ofthevalley
    ofthevalley Posts: 69
    Options
    Hi, I completed the Shred and I have a very old knee injury. It was torture and a battle of wills but I completed all 30 days. I braced both knees every single time I worked out and immediately elevated and iced after each work out. It sucked, but I made it through and that spurred my weight loss and outlook on life :)
  • mzjandiace
    mzjandiace Posts: 162
    Options
    Can't do it. It killed my knee's!
  • cjwalker81
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone!
  • HollyTsab
    HollyTsab Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    The lunges in level 2 will be hard and then there's a ton of jumping in level 3 (literally the whole time I swear). I would not let my husband do either of those levels with me. He's had multiple knee surgeries to repair his ACL and numerous of other scopes and probes on it. I wanted to die and don't "officially" have bad knee's. It did aggravate my plantar facitis though.
  • beccah88
    beccah88 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I nearly completed 30DS but it killed my knees! And to be honest, the results I saw from it weren't worth the amount it hurt my knees so I gave up on it! For others though, they have had really amazing results so maybe I would have finished it if I was seeing the same results as them.

It's mostly the lunges. Since 30ds I haven't been doing any lunges, besides side lunges because they don't really bother my knees.
  • cjwalker81
    Options
    I guess I will just "know my limits" and envy those who can do it. My knee is still in poor shape and I do NOT ever want to have that surgery again, it was very painful and I can't hardly get out of my vehicle without the hamstrings that are left cramping up like nobody's business!
  • studswife
    studswife Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I know when I was doing it with my knee, instead of jumping jacks I would punch, jog in place, or something else. Punch and squat at the same time was what raised my heart rate up the most.
  • nyfashionista19
    nyfashionista19 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I did complete it after a long-standing knee injury! I had to do low impact on some of the moves or just take it a bit slower on some exercises. I found the lunges to give me the most trouble so I wouldn't sink as deep,it's all about listening to your body! Good luck Hun :-)
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I agree! I just did day 6 of level one and my poor arthritic, swollen knees just ache. I lay in bed and hurt :(

But, I'm gonna do it if it KILLS me :)
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    rule of thumb is to avoid any form of pain, find alternative workouts. yes keep on exploring your options and don't give up.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    If it hurts your knees don't do it. As we get older we have to figure out ways to work around injuries and not aggravate them.
  • kabbit42
    kabbit42 Posts: 85
    Options
    I didn't even know I had a bad knee til I started the 30 day shred. It mostly happens during lunges so I usually just do more squats or whatever I can manage.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!