Is it bad to have too much protein?

Options
I go over my protein intake by at leat 40 g every day.

Replies

• gbg49229
    gbg49229 Posts: 57
    Options
    I think mfp is way low anyhow! I try to get 200 grams a day! so in short, the answer is you will be fine! just keep drinking water and your body simply gets rid of the rest
  • SlimSammy2012
    SlimSammy2012 Posts: 893
    Options
    Doesn't it depend on how your work outs are?
  • jehembee
    jehembee Posts: 114
    Options
    If you use it, it's not too much. Are you working out? If so, I don't think you can have too much protein.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I don't think MFP is low, but 40g over isn't all that high either. I read the WHO report on protein and they suggest, though it hasn't really been well studied, that twice your daily intake is probably safe, but if you're getting four or five times as much there might be a problem. Of course, this is for the average person, some people have different and specific requirements.
  • sgist82
    sgist82 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks- burning an average of 600 cals a day for workouts so just wanted to check that it wont hinder me
  • humblebumblebee
    Options
    Well I have heard of people who have cancer go on low protein diets. And I have also heard the protein from animals will cause greater chances of cancer and tumor growths. I dont know how healthy protein bars are for you but it kind of seems to be just another gimmick to make money because you can get enough protein from beans, grains, veggies, fruits...the foods you eat normally through out the day... So I think alot of protein may be bad for our bodies.
  • cathid327
    cathid327 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've read some sources that recommend you should eat 1gm of protein for every pound of LBM (lean body mass) if you are strength training. Last time I took my body fat it was 26% and I weigh 176 pounds so according to that theory I should eat around 130g a day. I don't think I have been doing that but I do try to aim for it because I do strength train and I have PCOS so I benefit more from a lower carb and higher protein diet.

The macro nutrient goals that MFP gave for me when I initially entered in my information seemed off from how I was used to eating.
    I was always going over the protein intake goal, too. I think right now I am shooting for 45:30:25 (carb/protein/fat) so I changed my goals to better fit me. So, depending on what your doing as far as working out your probably okay. :smile: