Women's clothing sizes

Options

Replies

• PatB52
    Options
    I am only 5'3" tall. I currently weigh 225 and my size 22 shorts fit perfectly.

I based my 150 lbs/size 16 from previous experience. The least I've weighed as an adult was 139 at my wedding. I could wear size 13 jeans - the smallest size I've every worn as an adult. The last time I lost significant weight, I was down to 155 and wearing size 16. Oh well, like some one said, nobody needs to know what the tag inside says. :)

I've got two lovely pairs of jeans in size 20. Can't wait until I can fit into them.
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    when I started this (129 pounds heavier) I was 315 pounds and was a TIGHT 28 from lane bryant. Now at 186, I wear a size 16 levis, ( not plus !) and the 14's at Lane bryant are almost too big. it took 30 pounds before I lost a size! 30 pounds! that is crazy. I think the smaller you get, 10-12 pounds can be a size loss, I will let you know in 10 pounds!! :flowerforyou:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I've lost 24 pounds, but only one or two sizes. It stinks.
    The biggest change is in my bra size. :grumble: I'm between sizes & it's really uncomfortable.
  • MissVitaVonCherry
    MissVitaVonCherry Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    it depends on height and where you perportion your weight! I was the one that i think you were seeing the was a 22 then lost 60 and is now a 16...
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    It's all in the way you were built....another lady and I are in the same support group and we compared our height & weight (exactly the same) the other day she posted that she bought size 10 pants! I almost fell out of my chair...my 14's are just getting baggy! We looked at our measurments and she carries more "up top" than I do....it's in the way your built, where you buy your clothes and how you like them to fit :) Don't be discouraged by anyone else's accomplishments...just be happy your clothes are getting baggy, no matter the size!
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    OK I'm 5' 8 1/2" at 197 I was a tight JR's 13 - at 177 a Jr's 11 ..at 168 a Jr's 11 at 162 q Jr's 9

at 148 a Jr's 7

So I think it's your height also at 177 I had a personal trainer and had a lot of muscle so I think that makes a difference
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I've lost 24 pounds, but only one or two sizes. It stinks.
    The biggest change is in my bra size. :grumble: I'm between sizes & it's really uncomfortable.

I've lost 38 pounds and am yet to lose a size...I'm beginning to wonder when it'll happen!!!!! I'm 5'8 and I've been in a UK18/20 all along. I'm currently around 177 pounds. I'm shooting for about 154 pounds...last time I weighed that much I was a UK16.

I'd really like to lose a size soon!

Erika
  • kaja
    kaja Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Different brands of clothing always fit differently its not as standard as people imagine especially as alot of the clothes we buy are imported from other countries.
    Also remember that other countries use different sizes. I'm from the UK and I wear size 14 clothes (and a 12 for tops) - I'm 5'2 and 163lbs. In the US I think I would be a 12.
    Again I'm not seeing much change in the size of clothes that I wear - I've gone down 1 size so far. I will be happy when I'm a size 10 on top and a 12 on the bottom.
  • erikazj
    Options
    Different brands of clothing always fit differently its not as standard as people imagine especially as alot of the clothes we buy are imported from other countries.
    Also remember that other countries use different sizes. I'm from the UK and I wear size 14 clothes (and a 12 for tops) - I'm 5'2 and 163lbs. In the US I think I would be a 12.
    Again I'm not seeing much change in the size of clothes that I wear - I've gone down 1 size so far. I will be happy when I'm a size 10 on top and a 12 on the bottom.

I agree that at least in the UK, the number on the label seems pretty arbitary. I say I am the size that I have most my clothes in, but there are many 18/20 clothes I've tried on which are too small, and a few which have been too big. I've got one pair of size 16 trousers which are almost falling off me, but I can't get other size 16s past my knees. I ordered the exact same pair of trousers in the 14 thinking that it didn't matter what the label said - if the 16s were falling down, the next size down should fit....ha! Couldn't even get them on...the number means nothing and I think we probably all worry about it a little too much. It would be nice though to be able to pick up clothes without having to try them on every time!
  • MyKids04
    MyKids04 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm not sure that this is the proper forum for this question but it is one that has puzzled me for a long time. And this may well be a silly question.

After seeing some of the before and after photos in another topic here, one person states the weight they were and they wore a size 22 jeans. Lost 60 lbs ( or something like that) and got into size 16 jeans. I weigh 226 lbs and I am wearing size 24 jeans (baggy though.) I have some size 20s in my drawer and there's no way I can get into them yet. I have to be down around 150 to get into a size 16! I see this all the time in weight loss ads. How come others that are heavier than me can wear so many sizes smaller? I do have quite a bit of stomach out front. I suppose that's the reason. Has anybody else found they are in a similar situation?

I think its where you carry your weight at because I am 231 right now and I were size 16. Of course they have to be like Apple Bottoms that are made to fit over a women's curves because I have booty and thighs and I carry alot of my weight there and in my breast.

Example those ladies on Biggest Loser would weigh in at 218 and look way bigger than me but its where the weight is that makes them look bigger than me or for that matter make women wear different sizes. So I think.
  • MyKids04
    MyKids04 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm not sure that this is the proper forum for this question but it is one that has puzzled me for a long time. And this may well be a silly question.

After seeing some of the before and after photos in another topic here, one person states the weight they were and they wore a size 22 jeans. Lost 60 lbs ( or something like that) and got into size 16 jeans. I weigh 226 lbs and I am wearing size 24 jeans (baggy though.) I have some size 20s in my drawer and there's no way I can get into them yet. I have to be down around 150 to get into a size 16! I see this all the time in weight loss ads. How come others that are heavier than me can wear so many sizes smaller? I do have quite a bit of stomach out front. I suppose that's the reason. Has anybody else found they are in a similar situation?

I think its where you carry your weight at because I am 231 right now and I were size 16. Of course they have to be like Apple Bottoms that are made to fit over a women's curves because I have booty and thighs and I carry alot of my weight there and in my breast.

Example those ladies on Biggest Loser would weigh in at 218 and look way bigger than me but its where the weight is that makes them look bigger than me or for that matter make women wear different sizes. So I think.
  • bekylouisex3
    bekylouisex3 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I am in a size 14UK which is a 12US I believe. I am 153lbs 5ft 4in at the moment, I think I wear a bigger size than taller people at 153lbs because my weight is not spread out as much.

I got really worried when I first read all of your posts as people who weighed 200+ were in Size 16 and I'm 50 pounds lighter and one size down :noway: BUT then I thought..wait these are US sizes :laugh:

Lol I have just seen the date of the last post..oops I'm nearly a year too late :bigsmile:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

Others are correct regarding the height of the person concerned. Another reason will be how toned a person is and how much muscle they carry. If two people were to weight, say 150lbs, but one of them was in size 16s and the other in a size 10, the size 10 person will have more toned muscle because although they weigh the same in poundage, toned muscles actually "pull" the body in and make it appear smaller, even though the weight is the same.

Hence why, the difference in dress size.
  • LotusF1ower
    Options

Lol I have just seen the date of the last post..oops I'm nearly a year too late :bigsmile:

Lol me too, I replied because you brought this thread up again and I didn't take a blind bit of notice regarding the original date :laugh:

(I wonder what size they all are now? :smile:
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'4 and as of today i weigh 259 and i wear a 18/20. When i was 160 i wore a size 10(8 in dresses) I see a lot of people that weigh as much as me and they seem soooo much bigger, but i dunno if its because i'm hourglass shaped or because i have always been muscley?
  • erikazj
    Options

Lol me too, I replied because you brought this thread up again and I didn't take a blind bit of notice regarding the original date :laugh:

Back when I originally posted on this topic I had lost 38 pounds and hadn't lost a size. I was a UK 18/20. Well, it took me 40 pounds to get down to a UK16/18, but I've now lost about 62 pounds and am a UK12/14 depending on the fit of the clothes. Most my trousers are 14s, but some of my tops and dresses are 12s. I am now the smallest adult size I've ever been. I put this down to being leaner due to the exercise...
  • LotusF1ower
    Options

Back when I originally posted on this topic I had lost 38 pounds and hadn't lost a size. I was a UK 18/20. Well, it took me 40 pounds to get down to a UK16/18, but I've now lost about 62 pounds and am a UK12/14 depending on the fit of the clothes. Most my trousers are 14s, but some of my tops and dresses are 12s. I am now the smallest adult size I've ever been. I put this down to being leaner due to the exercise...

WTG!!! That is excellent news!

Yes, being leaner will make all the difference in the world. All those dress sizes you dropped!! :flowerforyou:
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options

I'm 5'4 and currently at 179lbs wearing a size 12. I agree that one girl's 10 is not another girl's 10 but it would seem like at 150 you would be much lower than a 16.
  • redbedhead
    Options
    it really depends on where you carry your weight. and how comfortable you are with tight clothes. I guess I am considered an Apple shape (Never have understood the fruit shape analogy so if I am wrong please tell me) I am 5'6" and have almost all of my weight in my abdomen and chest, with very little extra weight in my butt, hips, or thighs. In fact My butt is almost flat.

When I started loosing almost 2 years ago, i was 363 pounds and wore a size 36 bottom and a 6x top. Now at 198 pounds, I am able to wear size 14 pants, If they have a zipper and size 12 pants if they are elastic waist without a zipper. (I do have to arrange my extra stomach skin regardless of if there is a zipper or not) For Tops I wear size large if they are pull on tshirt type and 1x or 2x if they have buttons (It depends on how the buttons pull and gap across the girls, 56DD is hard to cover nicely!) Eveything I wear is slightly loose as I hate feeling like my clothes are too tight!
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    It definitely has to do with height, but also with how much muscle you're carrying. The body fat percentage makes a lot of difference.

Since I've started exercising I've gone from almost a size 18 (at 183lbs) in pants and extra large in tops, to a size medium in tops and sometimes smalls, and size 6-8 in pants. I weight 145lbs and I'm 5'3". When I tell people what I weigh, they don't believe me, but honestly, muscle carries smaller than fat. :laugh:

The last time I weighed 142lbs I was barely fitting into 10s.

Exercise is the best!!!!! Love it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!