How to stop binge eating?

Options
Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about to stop binge eating? I'm 18 and binge mainly in the evenings on things like bread, muffins etc. I control my calories for up to three or four days not letting more than 1200 calories past my lips and then the evening of the fourth day I just crash. I had lost 18 pounds over three months and was down to a solid 130 pounds at 5ft6 but I've gained back 7lbs! This is getting out of hand, I'd really appreciate any help! Anyone else been through this? #gettingdesperate

Replies

• strive2behealthy
    strive2behealthy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm a notorious binger. I feel your pain. Growing up I had the luxury of eatin' all these yummy yummy foods that my little piggy self couldn't get enough of. Think of it as a cleanse. You binged, your body is used to it, and now it wants more. You need to mentally fight it by having a lot of willpower. Are you going to be happy with yourself after you binge? What about if you eat a healthier choice/eat less? Will you be happy with yourself that you ate that? What's helped me is small small servings of something sweet or tasty that I like. Then I just put it away. Don't focus on cutting it out completely. Also, when you're really really hungry you're bound to make poor eating choices. My nutritionist says to feed yourself 4-5 times a day (Small 278-348 calorie meals depending on your age, height, and weight.) Have a large breakfast, drink a LOT of water to cleanse out those toxins that are making you want more bad food.

You can do this! Just fight it mentally. You will be so happy with yourself.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Perhaps this is your body telling you it needs more food. How do you feel when you binge? extremely hungry? Than up your calories and see if that helps. Continue exercise if your doing that as well.
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    How about you hold solid for 6 days out of the week and just have a day, once per week, that you eat absolutely anything you want for the entire day (it's what I do). This day I generally eat 2x my BMR, but I digress. Perhaps knowing that you can treat yourself that one day will be enough to help calm the urge throughout the remainder of the week. Also make sure you are exercising enough too, or it won't do you much good as far as weight loss is concerned. Additionally, how about letting something like a grilled chicken breast or a half cup of nuts be the last meal of the day before you go to sleep? That will help keep you fuller for longer. Make sure you're drinking enough water as well. Good luck!
  • Biggestloserfan
    Options
    Try doing 1300 - 1400 calories during the other days and maybe your body won't be requiring you to binge on the fourth day because you will be feeling better and have a lot more calories so your body doesn't feel like it is starving the other three days.

I agree with the above poster that it really sounds like your body is trying to tell you that 1200 calories isn't enough on the days you don't binge. I don't think that this is true binge eating and yes you are gaining because your body needs to level out. Try upping your calories to 1300 and see how you feel on that fourth day and if your still feeling like you need to binge try upping your calories to 1400 and see if you can maintain there.
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I agree with the water, the 1 day per week where you allow yourself extra, lots of protein, and lots of willpower. But one thing that I do is simple, accountability, DO NOT have foods in the house that I tend to binge on and know that if I DO buy them and bring them home, I should expect them to be eaten (probably by me). :blushing:

Also, 1200 calories is too little for many people and if you are sticking to that for a few days and then binging, you may want to up your calories as to not get so hungry. :smile:
  • cheetosandburritos
    cheetosandburritos Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    TheAncientMariner who posted earlier gave some solid advice. I too am a binge eater. I've found that I have some trigger foods that cause me to binge, as well as external factors (stress, for example). Try keeping a journal of what you do that day or how you feel (you could put it in the "notes" section of your MFP journal) for a few weeks and see if you can identify your trigger.
  • gingercookie94
    Options
    That all sounds like good stuff, thanks so much. I don't want this to turn into a major problem as its only started in the last month you know? I just feel like I go into autopilot, eating when I'm not even hungry or don't even particularly like the food. It sounds crazy! I just get discouraged because I did have very good control for a few months, no slip ups or anything and then BOOM one day I fell off the wagon and haven't managed to get back on. Has anyone managed to take complete control of their binging? Does it ever go away? Thanks so much for the detailed replies, you don't know how much it helps.
  • ArtemisMoon
    ArtemisMoon Posts: 144
    Options
    Sounds like perhaps you are a little too strict on yourself. To keep myself from getting out of hand, I usually allow myself one or two small sweets a day (a muffin or pudding cup, a couple of pieces of chocolate, etc). That tends to curb the cravings and keep your blood sugar steadier than a binge. Then once a month, have a bad meal and eat something you would never be able to get away with when tracking calories. Moderation has been really helpful for me, and will work better in the long run as a lifestyle change than being too strict on yourself.
  • Natty0506
    Natty0506 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I too binge. It's a tough cycle to break. Drink COLD water, have a chocolate protein bar handy, reach for the fruit instead. And don't have your trigger foods in the house.
  • SkettiGurl
    SkettiGurl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    So at 5'6" 137 is still awesome but I can see you are worried about the weight going up. Increase your calories by 100-200 a day so you aren't feeling quite so deprived, eat back your exercise calories and most importantly...remove whatever it is that you are binging on from your house. If it's not there to eat, you can't eat it. Binge on apples or carrots instead. Just try it once and see what happens. Good luck.
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    That all sounds like good stuff, thanks so much. I don't want this to turn into a major problem as its only started in the last month you know? I just feel like I go into autopilot, eating when I'm not even hungry or don't even particularly like the food. It sounds crazy! I just get discouraged because I did have very good control for a few months, no slip ups or anything and then BOOM one day I fell off the wagon and haven't managed to get back on. Has anyone managed to take complete control of their binging? Does it ever go away? Thanks so much for the detailed replies, you don't know how much it helps.
    I control mine most days, yes.
    No it will never go away. You may have good or even great days, even for a long time, but it isn't "curable" and is still there"
    Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • miss_september
    Options
    I agree with upping your calories more, by a few hundred or so and see how you feel. You might also need to look at *what* you are eating. I changed my macros to do a 50/30/20 for carb/protein/fat and the increased protein has really helped me not to want sweets and carbs *all* the time, although I do allow myself some "treats" throughout, just make sure they fit into my calorie goals. I've also tried swapping treats too, like I love Fiber Plus bars, particularly the coconut/carmel/fudge (they taste like samoas girl scout cookies, only way healthier and there is more), and they are way more satisfying than things like cookies or brownies, and they don't have the same addictive quality (plus, you wouldn't want to overload on fiber supplements lol). I also try to eat fruit for my sweet-tooth as well, bananas, oranges and strawberries work well for me.
  • gingercookie94
    Options
    Okay so today I'll put my food allowance up to 1300 and see how that goes. I'm a perfectionist by nature and I get so frustrated with myself because I put the food in MY mouth to make MY body gain weight, when all I want to do is lose it. I must be a bit of a looper haha maybe I'll try gain weight and I might lose some.
  • gingercookie94
    Options
    I don't really know what foods are high in protein that I'd be able to snack on, is there anything else that you'd recommend? How do you find the 50% carbs compared to the average 65%?
  • gingercookie94
    Options
    I control mine most days, yes.
    No it will never go away. You may have good or even great days, even for a long time, but it isn't "curable" and is still there"
    Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:

Thanks for the honesty, would you mind if I added you as a friend seeing as we share the same demon?
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I binge a lot at night also.

I think mine was more psycological then anything else I would eat only when I felt lonely or sad. I ended up having to take out all my binge food from the house because its to tempting to have them around me. I would "get that feeling" of wanting to but instead I would get up and go as far away from the kitchen as I could lol. Instead I would maybe clean the house or go for a walk with the dog. Over time that feeling just stopped because I program myself to reconize it as something other then me wanting food!

I "reward" my good behavior once a week with something I dont usually get during the week (a treat) Somehow this trick has worked for me but it took a couple of months for me to stop the cycle.
  • GrannyTerry
    Options
    I don't have any "cures", but have been in your place. I have had a weight problem my whole life. I admire you for taking the initiative to fight your problem at your age. You will never regret keeping your weight down. About binging, I have had a really bad spell of binging for the past 2 years. It started with insomnia. I couldn't sleep so I ate. My weight balooned and my health problems balooned with it. I have a handle on the insomnia now, but the binging remains a problem. I have learned a few tricks from following you and others comments about binge eating. I still don't feel hungry until around 3 p.m. and then it's "Look out Lucy." I make myself eat a protein bar (20 grams of protein) each morning to break the fast and start my metabolism up. (A hint from my doctor & Dr. Oz) Then I usually don't want anything until evening. In the evening, I try to avoid "bad foods", but when I am really tired I still sometimes make poor choices. Hang in there sweetie. You can do it & so can I.
  • fruitful9
    fruitful9 Posts: 32
    Options
    Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about to stop binge eating? I'm 18 and binge mainly in the evenings on things like bread, muffins etc. I control my calories for up to three or four days not letting more than 1200 calories past my lips and then the evening of the fourth day I just crash. I had lost 18 pounds over three months and was down to a solid 130 pounds at 5ft6 but I've gained back 7lbs! This is getting out of hand, I'd really appreciate any help! Anyone else been through this? #gettingdesperate

*Sounds like you have a sugar sensitivity. find out what triggers that desire to eat eat eat and avoid that food. (for me: if I start my day with ANYTHING sugar my entire day is a feeding frenzy)

*Also, you can up your calories/day since you have little to lose.

*Save more of your calories for the evenings when you know you will want to eat.

*Don't be afraid to eat back your exercise calories so your body isn't starving (it will hold onto stored energy[fat] if it doesn't get what it needs to survive)

*Being 18, you might be getting less whole foods (I know my teens are always into the "quick foods" and simple carbs) Be sure to get your proteins, complex carbs, and good fats....then your body will feel satisfied.

HTH
  • gingercookie94
    Options

*Sounds like you have a sugar sensitivity. find out what triggers that desire to eat eat eat and avoid that food. (for me: if I start my day with ANYTHING sugar my entire day is a feeding frenzy)

*Also, you can up your calories/day since you have little to lose.

*Save more of your calories for the evenings when you know you will want to eat.

*Don't be afraid to eat back your exercise calories so your body isn't starving (it will hold onto stored energy[fat] if it doesn't get what it needs to survive)

That sugar sensitivity thing makes absolute perfect sense! I get thrown off completely by tiny things like putting honey in my porridge instead of a banana, it must be the sweetness. This is such a eureka moment for me! Thank you thank you absolute buckets. 'Go raibh mile mile maith agat' as we say in Irish.
    *Being 18, you might be getting less whole foods (I know my teens are always into the "quick foods" and simple carbs) Be sure to get your proteins, complex carbs, and good fats....then your body will feel satisfied.

HTH
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    First thing I suggest, as have others, is EAT MORE. Do you foresee spending the rest of your life eating 1200 calories? If you eat that little, your body is going to rebel and the binge is a result of that.

Also, like myself, it sounds as if you have an intolerance to certain foods. I tend to binge on things containing sugar and/or wheat and crave these things immensely at times.

I just a book called The Harcombe diet, that has a 5 day starting plan for dealing with cravings and intolerances and getting them under control. It is quite strict for the first 5 days, but from what I have read, is pretty successful and does not involve calorie counting, but rather finding out your intolerances and dealing with them so that you wont get the urges to binge and the intense cravings. I am pretty much anti-diet and anti fad diet, but the book actually seems pretty sensible and the author has herself suffered with eating disorders, including binge eating so she has been there herself.

For me, I simply don't buy the foods I might binge on. If I want something, I get one or a small portion in, or I have something when out. I have found eating a good portion of 0% greek yoghurt with pb2 and some seeds mixed in to be a good binge beater, especially if I have a piece of fruit later on as well. If I feel a craving, I go and eat that, or some cottage cheese or fish. Anything is better than ending up stuffing down a pile of high sugar or salt foods and feeling like crap for the next few days.

I eat around 1800 calories a day base, and more if I workout. I am maintaining pretty much, (unless I have a binge day).
    I do not do the cheat day as to me that is counter productive and encourages binge eating further in those who are prone to it. The idea is nice, but for someone who binge eats, it is likely to be disastrous imo. I prefer to just have a small treat most days, if I want it and fit it into my goal.

In the end, you have to find the root cause of your binge issues, whether it be emotional, or because you are not eating enough, and deal with it. I personally have struggled with both and it sounds as if you are as well. If you feel the urge to binge coming on, try and take a moment to pause and analyse how you are feeling, and whether you are hungry or not. If not hungry, you need to work out what emotion is causing the urge and deal with it in a healthier way, such as having a nice hot bath, going for a walk, writing a journal, engaging in a hobby that uses your hands (like cross stitch or drawing).

The foods you binge on are wheat based, so it is possible you have a wheat intolerance. Try cutting wheat out for a while and see what happens. Lots of options for dealing with this, I have the same problem and binges make my life a misery at times.

Feel free to add me if you like, I am good at offering support.
    Same to anyone else in this thread who has issues with binge eating or EDs in general.