tummy toning

Options
13»

Replies

• go_getter89
    go_getter89 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Try planking or lay on your back and put hands behind head like a sit up but only go halfway up. It works your abs like a full sit up bacause you are using only your abs not your thighs.
  • whitetiger011680
    whitetiger011680 Posts: 218 Member
    Options

Also try leg raises - lying flat on you back raise your legs up and down, imagine that your core is a lever pumping the up and down.

Hope that helps!

I lost about 50 pounds before every trying any sit ups. They're still a little difficult but I do as manny as I can and I also do leg raises which are great for the lower belly.
  • Plutina
    Plutina Posts: 1
    Options
    This is nothing to feel embarrassed about, your putting in the effort which is a wonderful thing, i wasn't very good with the whole exercise thing when i first started, you just need to find the exercises that work best for you. A great new way ive found to do ab crunches in a much comfortable way is to lie flat on the ground, raise both legs in the air and try touch your toes (i.e smooth your hands up your legs, to where you feel most comfortable), then go back down. I would start by doing 10 of these in a set of 3. I have newly started this and seeing the effects and find it much easier than other crunches.
    Hope this helps =D
    Sara xx
  • kimchi84
    kimchi84 Posts: 56
    Options
    Planks are HUGE core builders. I was in a class the other day doing assessments and we tried to see who could hold the plank position the longest. I did but I tell you what, my abs were SOOOO sore the next day.

i agree, i love doing planks, its a total body workout in itself.
  • HisJellyBean
    HisJellyBean Posts: 112
    Options
    Try Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred, its a total body workout and it tones your tummy at the same time. It's just great!! Try it and you will never regret it!

I did the 30 day shred for 3 month's last year and took off 30 pounds
  • HisJellyBean
    Options
    This is nothing to feel embarrassed about, your putting in the effort which is a wonderful thing, i wasn't very good with the whole exercise thing when i first started, you just need to find the exercises that work best for you. A great new way ive found to do ab crunches in a much comfortable way is to lie flat on the ground, raise both legs in the air and try touch your toes (i.e smooth your hands up your legs, to where you feel most comfortable), then go back down. I would start by doing 10 of these in a set of 3. I have newly started this and seeing the effects and find it much easier than other crunches.
    Hope this helps =D
    Sara xx

Thanks I will try it.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'll just add another vote to throwing in weight lifting. Even at my lowest weight while I was training for HMarathons/Marathons pretty much constantly I hated the fat left on my stomach. I had very little core strength to speak of.

Now, with under 3 hours of lifting a week I am finally seeing differences in the strength, function, and appearance of my core area.. The cardio is awesome and necessary (IMO) but the weight lifting will build that lean mass that is going to continue burning calories.

Don't believe me, believe the Institute for Sports Medicine and the Journal of Obesity: http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jobes/2011/482564/
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy will help, and as another person with PCOS you won't bulk up.

Try planks and leg raises until you are ready to lift.
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I want some muscle but there's two things.. Muscle weighs more than fat and I really need the weight off good weight or bad weight its still weight. and two I want a little muscle but I don't wanna look like those chicks that have so much muscles they look like men.

I have muscle.. I'm stronger than my dad... But its surrounded in fat and that's the problem.

1. ) Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle is still a pound. Just like a pound of fat is still a pound. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat.
    2. ) You're not going to 'look like a man' because women don't produce the same amount of testosterone as men to build muscle like men, unless you're taking steroids, or testosterone supplements.

My advice to you is to continue your cardio regimen, and start introducing weight lifting. Follow your current diet plan, and make sure that you're drinking enough water. Be honest with yourself and your eating habits, and you'll see the results that you want in time.
  • KarensCanDoIt
    KarensCanDoIt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Physical fitness of any kind takes me out of my 'comfort zone'. I've never been active my entire life. I've been doing exercises at home to gain some strength. (lunges, knee bends, some arm work with dumb bells, etc.). I have definitely noticed a difference, and it's a great feeling.

The other day I saw a post on here about the 200 sit up challenge. So, I looked into it. It seems to me that it should be named the 200 crunch challenge when you read their description of "What is a Sit Up?" Nevertheless I'm trying it just for kicks.

I could barely do 5 crunches on my initial test, and now I'm up to about 30. Take a peak at the website and see if you want to try it. It's not time consuming at all, and you'll definitely feel it in your abs. http://www.twohundredsitups.com

Good luck!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    btw, check out the story of this girl here: http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/ read her blog posts regarding losing 135lbs, and her struggles.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    You have far too much weight to lose to even begin to concern yourself with problem areas. Just focus on dropping pounds, for now.

Wise. Honestly, you don't start seeing ab definition until you're down to like 18% body fat or less. Strength is important, however, so try a weighted ab machine, some planks, and keep plugging away at the crunches. Normally I say that actually training abs isn't important because you work them every time you brace your core, but if your overall functional strength is low you really do have to work them. Also, don't do it every day, they're a muscle and just like every other muscle in your body they need every other day off.

I agree with lifting, I think it will help you reach your goals (it certainly helped me reach mine). More muscle means a higher resting metabolism at an equal weight. Eating at a deficit will help keep you from getting competitition ready. I don't see any reason to stop your cardio, if you like it than you should do it. Many people love their lifting routines (as do I), but I also love running and my group fitness classes. I do what I do because I enjoy it, not because must.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others about lifting.

The reason many people say muscle weighs more than fat is because for the same amount of space it takes up, it does, as it's more dense. However, when you are in a deficit and losing weight (fat) you are not going to be gaining muscle at the same rate you are losing fat! So you will still lose weight, don't worry. :smile:
    Most people don't gain muscle at all while on a deficit, the best they can hope for is to maintain their muscle mass (as most people, without lifting, lose muscle as well as fat while they lose scale weight) However, as you have quite a bit to lose, and you would be new to lifting, you may find you gain some muscle while on a deficit, this will not last that long, and as I said before it will be nowhere near the same rate you are losing fat.

As far as the high testosterone levels go, even a woman who has very high levels of testosterone, is still going to have less, than the men who have low testosterone. I just looked it up and the normal range for a man is 200-1200 ng./dl. The normal amount for a woman is 15 - 70 ng./dl. As you can see 200 (low for a man) is still significantly higher than 70 (high for a woman)
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    This is BY FAR, the most informative thread ever! Kudos to all contributors! Amazing.
  • HisJellyBean
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for all the comments and the links!
  • DBBA21
    DBBA21 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gordonx4
    gordonx4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This is really embarrassing but I cant do a sit up I get a few inches off the ground and cant pull myself up any higher... I try but it just don't work. Is there something I can do to tone my tummy other than sit ups? This girl needs abs lol

What every one is saying here is true, your not really going to see anything until your body fat count comes down. I have the same problem. After a long illness and losing a lot of muscle, I got a free trial (8 days) at a UFC gym. I had a chance to spend about 2 hours with a personal trainer and this is what he had me do to start getting my abs and arms strong again.

Start on your hands and knees, put your feet on something about 6" off the ground so you don't use them for this exercise. Move you hands forward so your knees are at an angle (as you get stronger make the angle deeper so your in a knee plank position). Now pull your stomach in to your back as hard as you can, angle your butt up for 15 seconds, then slowly relax all the way to the floor for 5 seconds then again slowly back up and in. I did 10 repetitions and it felt really good at the time but the next day I was sore. this is a good way to start strengthening your arms and stomach and is low impact so you don't hurt your neck or your back trying to do sit-ups.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    btw, check out the story of this girl here: http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/ read her blog posts regarding losing 135lbs, and her struggles.

Is she on MFP? I read her blog all the time! LOL.