Need help knowing how much to eat

Options
Before now, I'd always been relying on guesses for my RMR and body fat percentage. I've since gotten them tested 'professionally' -- on on a Tanita Body Composition Analyzer (for my body fat) and the other on a ReeVue Korr machine, which is basically a machine hooked up to a tube I blew into for 10 minutes. Romantic, no?

After all that, I am now fairly confused as to how many calories I should be eating per day in order to lose weight (I have, in my mind, about 10-15lbs more to go). For the record, I am currently weight training with a boot camp class 3 days a week, cardio 2 days a week, and pilates once a week. Roughly ... and all for about 50 min - 1h at a time. And, I've got a desk job.

28yrs old, Female
5'7", 147lbs

From the Tanita (did not fast)
BMR: 1443cal
Fat %: 29.1%
Fat mass: 43 lb
FFM: 104.8 lb
TBW: 76.8 lb

From the ReeVue Inderect Calorimeter, what they called a metabolizer test (did fast)
Measured BMR: 1195 cal
Predicted REE: 1474 cal
An estimate of the # of cals I would burn with 30 min at a moderate exercise level: 124 cal

I guess I'm a little surprised about my BMR measurement (they consider it very slow), seeing as I drink more than a gallon of water per day, watch what I eat, and exercise most of the week.

Finally, the question: If I want to lose 2lb/week, how many calories should I be eating (taking into account exercise, of course)? All of those numbers above have confused me more than anything ...

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Replies

• jacklynb46
    jacklynb46 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    bump
  • luvinlife2012
    luvinlife2012 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    here's a very helpful calculator http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

you input your height, weight, and age to get your caloric needs....many calculators and much information
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Sorry can't help with the number crunching, but I do suggest that you consider at your height and weight, 2lbs per week is probably unrealistic and to do so you would likely have to cut your calories below what is healthy. Consider 1lb per week as a better goal.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I calculate your BMR at 1432, TDEE at 2220. Cut 20% from TDEE = 1776. You'd be ok to set MFP to 1700 and not eat back exercise calories since they are already factored in.

ETA: I didn't see your comment about 2 lbs/week until after I posted. This number above is not for 2 lbs/week. I actually wouldn't cut that fast. Puts your net below your BMR. Take it slower and you will most likely see results that you like.
  • merinefer1972
    merinefer1972 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    HI! It can be very confusing... I find that using the food & exercise log here on MFP is great for me. You just do your logs & it does the math for you. Hope this is helpful.
  • mkaylabird
    mkaylabird Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Good luck on this. I agree with above. Log all exercise and food and that will help considerably.

Lisa