Eating Clean~Help

Options
I recently reached my goal weight (basically) and I have been bloated for the longest time. I think I found out why and it is because my sodium intake is insanely high. My mini goal now is to lose about 5 lbs of water weight and I hope to achieve this by cutting down my sodium to 1500mg a day. I am thinking that this all help get rid of my bloating and help me lose that last bit of water weight.

To get to the point.....
I am starting to eat strictly CLEAN but, I need help on how to go about this. I am not really sure what "eating clean" means and how to do it best.
Any input would be awesome, thanks:)

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Eating clean simply means eating foods that aren't processed or "junk" to some people.

A sample "clean" meal is:

6oz meat
    1 cup brown rice or whole wheat pasta or 1 sweet potato
    Serving of veggies

instead of something like this:

Big Mac
    Large Fries
    Large coke
    Sundae

(Just an example)

Since you already reached your goal weight, just cut out the processed stuff and eat healthier. Even if you don't lower sodium as much, you can still drink plenty of fluids/water to release water weight. More water in = more water out.
  • gaylaquinn
    gaylaquinn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yep Na+(sodium) follows water=)=)
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm totally in the same boat as you! its sooo frustrating because i feel like no matter what i do, the sodium is still wayyy up there! :( let me know if you find a way to lower it!!!
  • badapdos
    badapdos Posts: 132
    Options
    Try only natural and organic foods for your meals. For example, what I usually eat during the day is:

Breakfast:
    Oatmeal mixed with some nonfat milk, an egg (it has sodium but only about 70 mg), mixed with some pickled vegetables

Lunch:
    Salad and some sun chips or whatever

Dinner:
    Rice, vegetables, some meat.

If you want to eat meat, remove the skin. Boil or bake it. Also, cut out the salty foods. 1/4 tsp of salt is already 540 mg of sodium.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Processed equal high sodium usually so time to cook from scratch.
    Meat
    Veggies
    Fruits
    grains
  • mrscdbutler
    Options
    I am currently returning to a clean eating lifestyle. For me this means, 6 of days a week of no fried or processed foods, low salt intake, healthy fats in limited amounts i.e. alvacado, peanut butter, ect. no sugar consumption (ocassionally equal) , healthy carbs only i.e. (whole grains), veggies, some fruit. I allow myself one MODERATE cheat meal a week. I try to keep it home cooked, but hey ish happens :-). Basically, no fast food, junk food, fried foods ect. Hope this helps!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    There is no "definition" of eating clean that is universally accepted. Joe gave good advice. Eat whole, nutrient dense foods that are minimally processed.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I've eaten under 1500 mg sodium/day for over 3 months now. You have to make almost everything yourself.
    I make bread with half the salt, all sauces, dressings, soups and condiments. Always check the labels.
    You can find lower sodium shrimp for example. Frozen vegetables vary too.
    I even bought a meat slicer and make my own cold cuts. It's work but it "works".
  • Love_flowers
    Love_flowers Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Try for max 800-1000mg :)
    Worked for me
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I make sure its whole food, ingredients I can pronounce and no more than a handful of ingredients. The less processed the better.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You are confused on what exactly "clean eating" is because there is no one definition.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
  • hopsonc24
    hopsonc24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb I go by is:
    Did it grow from the ground or come from a mother. If so then its "clean" eating. Organic is great if you can afford it.

Hope this helps. Good Luck. You will be amazed at how great you feel when you cut out all proccessed foods
  • hecham
    hecham Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Since I have cut my sodium through clean/healthy eating, I feel so much better. I rarely go over 1500mg of sodium a day. To me, clean eating is eating whole foods in their natural state. Some of my most frequently eaten fresh fruits/vegetables are apples, bananas, grapes, sweet potatoes, broccoli, green beans. I typically do not eat store-bought bread, I make my own or get my grains through rice or other whole grain like quinoa or barley. If I use a sauce or soup, I use no salt added sauce and low salt stock for cooking.

It does take a while to get adjusted to the taste of foods without so much extra salt that most people are used to. In fact, most guests will add extra salt to my cooking, but to me it tastes flavorful as is because I am no accustomed to the excess of salt. Best of luck to you.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Since I have cut my sodium through clean/healthy eating, I feel so much better. I rarely go over 1500mg of sodium a day. To me, clean eating is eating whole foods in their natural state. Some of my most frequently eaten fresh fruits/vegetables are apples, bananas, grapes, sweet potatoes, broccoli, green beans. I typically do not eat store-bought bread, I make my own or get my grains through rice or other whole grain like quinoa or barley. If I use a sauce or soup, I use no salt added sauce and low salt stock for cooking.

It does take a while to get adjusted to the taste of foods without so much extra salt that most people are used to. In fact, most guests will add extra salt to my cooking, but to me it tastes flavorful as is because I am no accustomed to the excess of salt. Best of luck to you.
    Yes, I was a salt junkie. I find adding sour or spicy flavourings helps replace it. You do get used to it.
    So hot peppers and sweet and sour are my friends now.
    Things I would add salt to now taste too salty to me even without adding any.
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    “Clean eating” is pretty much cutting out processed food, start cooking from scratch & lots of veggies and fruits in my book.

Edited to add: there is a group for "Eating Clean" that has lots of info. Take a look.
  • cgfol1
    cgfol1 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Avoid those pickled vegetables as someone above previously mentioned. Fresh is best
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The only way I know how to really control sodium is by cooking everything from scratch.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    There is no "definition" of eating clean that is universally accepted. Joe gave good advice. Eat whole, nutrient dense foods that are minimally processed.

This ^^^ Also the advise given about drinking lots of water. Taking in more water helps your body release more water.

There are many other things that can cause you to retain water, not just sodium; There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on.

So, simply eating "clean", reducing sodium, or drinking more water may or may not cause you to "lose water weight".

Also your body adjusts to the amount of sodium you regularly consume, so you really shouldn't see a spike unless you suddenly changed the amount of sodium.