First 5K on Saturday

Options
Okay so I am running my first 5k this Saturday.. So is there anything special I should do a the few days leading up to it? For example.. rest up or eat anything special?

Replies

• percycat1
    percycat1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am running my first 5K on Saturday too. Actually, I will be run/walking. I am still developing fitness to run a 5K. My current running interval is run 3 minutes/walk 1 minute. I plan to run/walk 2. 5 miles on Thursday, make sure I drink a lot of water the next few days, and get a good nights sleep on Friday.

My biggest challenge is mental -- I want to stick to my plan and continue the intervals, instead of giving up before the end. I hope participating with a large group will keep me motivated and focused to the end.

Good luck on Friday and have fun.
  • mrsbastone
    mrsbastone Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Before my first 5K I just rested up 3 days before the race i.e. no running before. I just thought I wanted to avoid getting any kind of injury or anything. I'm sure poeple who run all the time don't even consider this LOL but as a first timer I was nervous and wanted to do it 'right'.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Best thing is to not do anything different from your usual routine. Drink water. Eat something the night before that is not going to irritate your stomach in the morning, especially if you are nervous. Eat a light breakfast, that is not going to upset your stomach if you are nervous. Get there a little early to you can park, check in, warm up, etc.
    Relax, and enjoy.
  • verbalriot
    verbalriot Posts: 90
    Options
    If your run is on Saturday, don't run on Friday and do a very light run/walk if you want on Thursday. You need to give your legs a rest before the big race.

Have a good carby breakfast beforehand. My go-to is half a bagel with peanut butter & banana...but the general recommendation is not to try anything new on race day, so you might want to eat what worked for you throughout your training.

Good luck and have fun! Finishing your first 5K is an awesome feeling :)