Gluten Free Recipes

Options
I'm struggling with losing weight as I have Celiac disease (allergy to gluten) and I find that everything gluten free is super high calorie & high fat! Does anyone else happen to have gluten free recipes that are low cal? If so, I'd love to connect!

Replies

• k_pattie
    k_pattie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've found that I just have to make everything myself - a lot of gf mixes even ask for multiple tbsp of canola oil or butter which shoots the fat content way up. I just started googling gluten-free blogs and started buying flours in bulk (almond, oat, coconut, teff, brown rice, sorghum etc). I make nearly everything on my own - sometimes I will use the gluten free pantry french bread mix for pizza crust, bobs red mill cornbread mix & whole grain bread mix, and then I also have the gluten-free bisquick to use to make biscuits. I've had a lot of fun experimenting, and you learn a lot about food while doing so!
    A couple blogs I recommend are: glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com, glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com, glutenfreemommy.com, thenourishinggourmet.com, and thespunkycoconut.com !!
    good luck, feel free to message me if you have any questions!
  • kblu0816
    kblu0816 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    I do not have celiac but I am gluten intolerant so I feel your pain. I have also started buying flours in bulk, it's a pain in the beginning but if you do a couple short cuts, it'll benefit you in the long run.

When I buy the bulk gf flours ( rice flour, coconut flour, etc.) I portion out the amount I need for recipes I know I will make soon and sift them together into an airtight container so when it comes time to cook, you already have the hardest part done. All the blogs that k_pattie suggested are awesome! Also there's a website called chocolatecoveredkatie.com. She obviously does more dessert stuff that is surprisingly healthy and tasty.

Hope this helps!
  • fitrene
    fitrene Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Very similar to what K_Pattie said.....

I just stick to whole foods, fruits, veggies, lean meats, rice, quinoa and make my own sauces. Just make sure you are using GF ingredients like GF soy sauce, make your own broths or stocks as the condensed kind usually contains wheat (I learned the hard way!) Only when I'm in the mood for baked goods or comfort foods, do I used processed GF items (mac & cheese, GF brownies, etc.) but it is rare that I eat these. If you do make baked goods, make sure your vanilla is GF and flavored alcohol can sometimes have gluten as well as ice cream and other sweets. IMO just stay away from all of it if you can. It's expensive anyway and like you said, high in fat and calories. I'm sure you already know this.

What I did was took my favorite recipes and just converted them to GF. I use corn tortillas instead of wheat for fajitas and enchiladas, chicken salad without the bread, quinoa pasta instead of wheat, etc. We don't eat processed or fast food so converting wasn't to hard, but I can understand if you are not used to doing that, how it may be difficult.

Good Luck!