FRUIT and VEGGIES = CALORIES?!

Options

Replies

• _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Negative calorie vegetables Aubergine, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Chicory, Cress, Cucumber, Fennel, Gourd, Leek, Lettuce, Marrow,Peppers, Radish, Spinach,Tomato, Turnip, etc.
    Negative calorie fruits Apricot, Blackberry Blackcurrant, Clementines, Damsons, Grapefruit, Guava, Honeydew Melon, Lemon, Mandarin orange, Melon Cantaloupe, Peaches, Plums, Raspberry, Rhubarb, Strawberry, Tangerine, Watermelon

Not even a little bit true.

Honeydew melon, 1 cup - 64 calories per MFP database.

Even if I bought into the whole negative calorie thing, you'd have to be a pretty damned aggressive chewer to expend more than 64 calories eating a cup of melon.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I would suggest stop partitioning foods into groups for the purposes of calories, and just think of caloric density. Each food has a different density. Some are low, some are high. Whether they are fruit, vegetable, grain, or fat doesn't matter. Peas ain't broccoli, and while neither is free, you'd have to eat a barrel full of broccoli for it to become a problem.

Digital scales are great for measuring amounts, and you'd be surprised how inaccurate measuring by volume is. For example, if you buy cereal, it might say something like 1 cup = 240g. But when you measure out 1 cup, you'll often get something VERY different than 240g.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    No free foods.......but......watermelon season is upon us and that is super low in calories.........47 calories per cup.

That reminds me of a recurring question I have...what exactly is a cup of watermelon? How do you measure that out?

As a guy that relies on his digital scale to solve problems like this, I sure wish more of the foods in the database were in there based on weight instead of volume.

I have wondered the same thing!! Especially since I buy the watermelon that is cut into chunks at the store, depending on the size of the chunk I have no idea if I am eating a cup. :huh: <-- that's me confused!

I hope that this helps: Dry measures (from a cooking book)

16 tbsp = 1cup = 8oz = 1/2lb = 226.8gr

The conversion from liquid to dry measurements is actually only true for water (density=1g/ml). It will be very close for most liquids, but not true for solids.
  • PlayDoh1234
    PlayDoh1234 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. A pound is a pound. It is a scientific method of measurement.

Claiming otherwise is nonsense. Coming to a website that isn't Weight Watchers to lose weight yet choosing to keep parts of the WW trademarked program that appeal to you? Also nonsense.

I've never used WW and I'm not keeping parts of WW. I keep track of my fruits and vegetables on MFP but I was surprised to hear that WW doesn't count fruits and vegetables and wanted to understand why. Which isn't nonsense..
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Negative calorie vegetables Aubergine, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Chicory, Cress, Cucumber, Fennel, Gourd, Leek, Lettuce, Marrow,Peppers, Radish, Spinach,Tomato, Turnip, etc.
    Negative calorie fruits Apricot, Blackberry Blackcurrant, Clementines, Damsons, Grapefruit, Guava, Honeydew Melon, Lemon, Mandarin orange, Melon Cantaloupe, Peaches, Plums, Raspberry, Rhubarb, Strawberry, Tangerine, Watermelon

Everything about this post is absolutely false. Sorry.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Everything about this post is absolutely false. Sorry.
    Don't be sorry. No need to apologize for rebutting myths.
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You should realize that calories are not an enemy that automatically makes you fat if you eat any. You need calories to survive.

Weight loss means you need to consume fewer calories, not NONE, and if you're looking for foods that have ZERO calories, you're either a) looking for loopholes to overeat, or b) taking the weight loss thing farther than is healthy.

^^^^
    What she said!!! :smile:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. A pound is a pound. It is a scientific method of measurement.

Claiming otherwise is nonsense. Coming to a website that isn't Weight Watchers to lose weight yet choosing to keep parts of the WW trademarked program that appeal to you? Also nonsense.

I've never used WW and I'm not keeping parts of WW. I keep track of my fruits and vegetables on MFP but I was surprised to hear that WW doesn't count fruits and vegetables and wanted to understand why. Which isn't nonsense..

No, you didn't say that dear :) Plenty of others say that they are not counting fruits & veggies because "no one ever got fat on fruits and veggies." It's generally aimed toward that mentality;) You, I hope, have the right idea after reading everyone's replies :happy:
  • PlayDoh1234
    PlayDoh1234 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

No, you didn't say that dear :) Plenty of others say that they are not counting fruits & veggies because "no one ever got fat on fruits and veggies." It's generally aimed toward that mentality;) You, I hope, have the right idea after reading everyone's replies :happy:

Oh I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about me. The posts are helping! :blushing:
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    well after reading this post.. i am convinced i should be logging my veggies. My weight loss has been rediculously slow sometimes not even losing anything for weeks at a time.. hmmm veggie and fruit logging here i come. thanks people!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    well after reading this post.. i am convinced i should be logging my veggies. My weight loss has been rediculously slow sometimes not even losing anything for weeks at a time.. hmmm veggie and fruit logging here i come. thanks people!
    Sounds like a plan. Best wishes to you!

I think that we can declare this thread a success, folks.
  • Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    No-meme-rage-face.jpg

Not this again.

There is no zero calorie food.

• Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You've got to think about nutrition as well as calories! Don't exclude your fruit and veges.

I made a delicious veggies soup with a bullion cube, tomato, onion, garlic, jalapeno and mixed frozen veggies. I also added a russet potato cubed and it came out to 4 or 5 servings for about 350 calories per serving. . . even though I only used veggies and broth, but it was really good and very filling. I say count them and exchange them for snacks. Your body will thank you!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    No free foods.......but......watermelon season is upon us and that is super low in calories.........47 calories per cup.

That reminds me of a recurring question I have...what exactly is a cup of watermelon? How do you measure that out?

As a guy that relies on his digital scale to solve problems like this, I sure wish more of the foods in the database were in there based on weight instead of volume.

I have wondered the same thing!! Especially since I buy the watermelon that is cut into chunks at the store, depending on the size of the chunk I have no idea if I am eating a cup. :huh: <-- that's me confused!

I hope that this helps: Dry measures (from a cooking book)

16 tbsp = 1cup = 8oz = 1/2lb = 226.8gr

The conversion from liquid to dry measurements is actually only true for water (density=1g/ml). It will be very close for most liquids, but not true for solids.

Thew above conversion was for SOLIDS no liquids.

Liquid measures: 1 cup = 1/2 pin t= 8 fl oz= 236.5ml
  • melneh
    melneh Posts: 25
    Options

watermelon is low in calories but it is also extrememly high on the glycemic index, which for some people can really really put on the pounds.

like me.. :(
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that having a lot of small amounts of veggies and fruits doesn't add up to much whilst still being really filling...
    Most days I have:
    Cauliflower - Raw, 3 floweret 10 cals
    Cucumber - Peeled, raw, 4 slice 3 cals
    Broccoli - Raw, 3 spear (about 5" long) 32 cals
    Carrots - Raw, 0.5 cup, strips or slices 25 cals
    Celery - Raw, 1 stalk, medium (7-1/2" - 8" long) 6 cals
    Apples - Raw, with skin, 0.5 medium (2-3/4" dia) (approx 3 per lb) 36 cals

Which adds up to a whopping 112 calories... so it's super low in calories but is also really filling. I have this around 11:40-noon and I'm full until 3:30 or so (which for me is a long time)
  • Mirpapillon
    Mirpapillon Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Eat more veggies and less fruits. Peppers don't have very much calories lettuce cellery etc. check them out. I also found a Greek yogurt dip (cucumbers and garlic) for 35 calories for 2 tablespoons.
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Most veggies are mostly water and for a lot of them just picking up your fork will burn them off. But fruit has fiber and sugars so I think it is heavier. I have actually heard that t is best to eat fruit in the beginning of the day because of this. I do not think fruit and veggies could ever make you fat though. I'd count them anyway but if you are still hungry than eat, as long as it is healthy food.
  • getfitbesexy
    Options
    Both are great, but when it comes to getting fit and losing fat I would always go with Veggies over Fruits. Remember, fruits are full of sugars!!! I also don't believe in counting calories, i think it makes dieting overwhelming and that whole process causes major anxiety towards food. I highly suggest portion control :)

When i eat fruits and veggies i stick to looking at the Glycemic Index, the lower the GI the better.
    ● = Little carbohydrate; GI approximately zero

Fresh Fruit Glycemic Index
    Apples 38
    Oranges 42
    Pears 38
    Peaches 42
    Grapes 53
    Strawberries (fresh or frozen) 40
    Raspberries (fresh or frozen) ●
    Blueberries (fresh or frozen) 53
    Cherries 63
    Bananas 52
    Lemons ●
    Limes ●

Fresh Vegetables Glycemic Index
    Ginger ●
    Garlic ●
    Lettuce ●
    New Potatoes 47 - 70
    Tomatoes ●
    Carrots (baby & regular) 41 - 47
    Celery ●
    Onions (red and/or white) ●
    Green Onions ●
    Bell Peppers (red/green/orange/yellow) ●
    Cherry Tomatoes ●
    Broccoli ●
    Cauliflower ●
    Mushrooms ●
    Spinach (fresh or frozen) ●
    Peas (fresh or frozen) 48
    Zucchini ●
    Cucumber ●
    Green Beans ●
    Asparagus ●
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of lettuce and mushrooms, 1 cup of shreded lettuce is like 15 calories