What strength exercises should I start with?

Options
I'm 21 years old and I weigh 269lbs. I always and only do cardio exercises like jogging or walking on the treadmill with high incline level. I want to do strength exercises but I have no idea which and what to do first. Can anyone help out me with this?

Replies

• chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    This is a good beginner routine to work with.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs#Practical_Programming_Novice_Program:

Steer clear of machines (you don't need them).

Keep it simple, and give yourself rest days.

Don't worry about isolation exercises, people that do curls non stop are just....well they are just there as poor examples.

I also recommend reading over this:

http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh's_Worksheet_(WIP)

Yes, it's from 4chan, a weird, terrible corner of the internet. However there are a bunch of really smart people into fitness and nutrition on there. That page will be a bit crass, weird, and all those other things but it has one of the most detailed run downs on health/fitness/nutrition I have ever seen.
  • LiftHuff
    LiftHuff Posts: 131
    Options
    Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press.

There's a reason they're called The Big 3
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    The big ones. Compound exercises (meaning uses two or more muscle groups or joints). Squats, dead lifts, chest press, lat pulldowns, rows and military press. Learn proper form and start light until you are ready to increase. Once you get these figured out you can start adding in isolation exercises that compliment the big lifts.
  • gooiyw
    gooiyw Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ardrigh
    ardrigh Posts: 5
    Options
    Press-ups, sit-ups, squats. The most basic, you can do anywhere any time, for free. You only need yourself.

Try working through the Hundred Push Up Challenge, the Two Hundred Sit Up Challenge, and Two Hundred Squats Challenge. Build your base strength before you commit to a gym or anything.

http://hundredpushups.com/
    http://www.twohundredsitups.com/
    http://www.twohundredsquats.com/

Once you have a strong base to work from, from completing these exercises, then you will have better strength and it will help keep your form to do more targetted work-outs.

My personal experience doing much the same as you with mostly cardio and jogging - I was about the same weight as you with little upper body strength - press-ups and sit-ups and squats really will do wonders.
  • Oretexan
    Oretexan Posts: 108
    Options
    Bump for reading later
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Strong Lifts 5x5. It's a free program made up of squats, bench, rows, shoulder press, and deadlifts. You start with low weight so you can learn form then progressively move up weight. It's great for establishing a nice solid base of strength.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    stronglifts.com: this is what I've been doing the last month and there's a free e-book all about it. It's five of the best compound lifts: bench, deadlift squats, rows, and overhead press. I also do chin ups and one leg pushups.
  • SamueLF0nG
    SamueLF0nG Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks guys! Will read all of them right away. I have another question, should we do strength exercises right after cardio or today cardio tomorrow strength? I heard/read that it will help us to burn more if we do strength after cardio. Is this true?
  • ardrigh
    ardrigh Posts: 5
    Options
    You should start on alternate days, strength and cardio. You should have a rest day in between strength work.

Start off small, since you have high blood pressure, I recommend a rest period if you have headaches or feel dizzy. Best to stop than end up with health problems.

And drink lots of water!
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Will read all of them right away. I have another question, should we do strength exercises right after cardio or today cardio tomorrow strength? I heard/read that it will help us to burn more if we do strength after cardio. Is this true?

Do strength, then about 20-30 minutes of moderate to intense cardio (don't go for broke).
  • SamueLF0nG
    SamueLF0nG Posts: 11
    Options
    Noted. Thanks!
  • LiftHuff
    LiftHuff Posts: 131
    Options
    personally, I'd say to ditch the cardio entirely for now unless you are preparing for an athletic event. If fat loss is your goal, focus on your muscle building efforts and forget the hamster wheeling.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

I've always read and been told that it's better to do strength first. You need your full strength and attention to maintain proper form and you should be focusing on keeping good form even if you start with light weights.