I gained weight! :/

Options
I've been exercising strictly for nearly 2 weeks now and have been counting my calories for even longer. I went to weight myself just today, just to see if anything had changed and my scale said I had gained nearly 3 pounds. I don't know if the fact that I had just eaten dinner, drank water and had my clothes on had a huge effect but still....very discouraging. I hear everyone says to avoid the scale and stuff so maybe I should. I'll see what happens this coming Monday.

I power walk 5 days a week and do 2 miles or so.

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercise are you doing? How much are you eating?

If that's a 3 lbs gain over what you were first thing in the morning before eating, that could be part of the difference. You can easily be 2-3lbs heavier in the evening and even more after eating and with clothes on.

If you're lifting you could be retaining more water and gaining a bit of muscle maybe after 2 weeks? (not sure; I don't lift)
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Do it consistently for 3 weeks, then tell us what your average WEEKLY loss/gain is.
  • etavi
    etavi Posts: 85
    Options
    You're prob building muscle. Plus, the scale can change every day. A week after I began counting calories, I lost 3 lbs. I got back on the scale the next evening, and I had somehow gained those 3 lbs back XD
    Don't worry about it too much.
    Have you noticed any nsv lately?
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm 3-4 pounds heavier at night than I am in the morning. Weigh yourself at the same time every time, and give it some time. ;)
  • annie4993
    annie4993 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The fact that you weighed yourself in the evening and after dinner has probably a lot to do with the gain. You should weigh yourself in the a.m. before eating. Also, you may need a bit more time for the weight loss to kick in, so don't get discouraged!
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Don't wait until Monday. Weigh tomorrow morning so that you'll know whether or not it was the time of day. Then weigh again on Monday.

I weigh myself in the morning and at night just so I can see the difference it makes. Not saying people should do that, but it you'll see a drastic difference between night and morning.
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Try weighing in when you're naked and in the morning before eating and after using the bathroom. This will be a more realistic true weight.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Its probably water/food from eating and drinking throughout the day. I am usually around 2-3 lbs heavier at night. Do it first thing in the morning after taking care of business! hehe!
  • badapdos
    badapdos Posts: 132
    Options
    Did you just start exercising/eating right? Because I gained 2 pounds the first week of exercising, then lost it. Don't get discouraged! Always weight yourself in the morning, right after waking up and going to the bathroom, with little or no clothing. Maybe try a more strenuous exercise? Or maybe your body is still adjusting. If this persists I recommend you talk to your doctor.
  • Jonahyona
    Jonahyona Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I only recently started my exercise routine.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I don't know if the fact that I had just eaten dinner, drank water and had my clothes on had a huge effect

Yes. It does.

I weight myself every morning, but I do so immediately after getting out of bed and having my, ahem, "morning throne visit", wearing only pajamas. That way, my weight is as consistent from day to day as it's ever going to be (which is to say, not terribly consistent due to any colon "unfinished business" and the like, but better than random times of the day when I have varying amounts of food and liquids roaming through my system, not to mention clothing).

You'll save yourself a lot of stress by using the scale consistently.
  • Jonahyona
    Jonahyona Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You're prob building muscle. Plus, the scale can change every day. A week after I began counting calories, I lost 3 lbs. I got back on the scale the next evening, and I had somehow gained those 3 lbs back XD
    Don't worry about it too much.
    Have you noticed any nsv lately?

Yeah, my stomach area feels a little different.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates for me by about 7lbs per day. It depends on a lot of things. What you SHOULD be measuring is inches with a measuring tape. That will tell the truth. We don't really want to lose "weight" do we? We want to lose fat. Over time, weight will come off as a product of losing fat. Feel good about living healthy and watch the inches come off. Stop worrying about the scale.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Logic would suggest that a person is going to weigh more after a pound or two of food and water, no? And clothing weighs up to 3 pounds. So, i suggest weighing before dinner, without clothes and when you are most likely to be your lightest. Though in truth, we weigh all the weights throughout the day if you think about it. What is true weight in the end ? Even if a pereon is 126 pounds in the morning, i can guarantee they arent that weight for very much of the day.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Water retention. Your body fluctuates several lbs per day.