Sore Back

Options
bpg79
bpg79 Posts: 40 Member
With all the exercise I have been doing I am finding that it is taking a toll on my back. Anyone know any good stretches for the back and / or exercises to strengthen the back? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    PUG!

I know lots. What kind of back pain? For lower, stuff like standing and leaning back, or laying on your back and pulling knees to chest helps.
  • bpg79
    Options
    I love pugs! My little guy make me smile even on a bad day!!!

My back pain is in the upper mid/right part of my back around the shoulder blade and near the spine. I never feel like I get a stretch in the middle.
  • dwightdegroff
    dwightdegroff Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    There's a good stretch called "Cat-Camel" or "Cat-Cow".

http://www.acefitness.org/exerciselibrary/15/cat-camel

I could explain the whole thing, but it'd be easier to just check out the link. I've suffered with chronic lower back pain and this is one of the few stretches that actually relieves some pain for me.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    In yoga we do a stretch with a cylindrical bolster, you could probably roll up a blanket or 2 to make one. Put it long way behind you and then lie down on top of it. Drape your arms out like a T. It's pretty comfy.

Raise arms to shoulder height and clasp hands. Then stretch your shoulders forward and kind of hump your back out so it is somewhat C shaped.

I have some kind of inflammation right now in my upper back. My yoga teacher told me to take a tennis ball and lie on your back. Put the ball under the sore spot and then sort of roll it around. Bend your knees and lift your hips to roll it or even do it side to side. Do whatever works for you but it sure feels good.

I also do should shrugs sand circles when my upper back is tight.

As the above poster says, cat cow is good too.

I was just laughing because this seems to be the dog people thread.
  • AlyssaDarby13
    AlyssaDarby13 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    There's a good stretch called "Cat-Camel" or "Cat-Cow".

http://www.acefitness.org/exerciselibrary/15/cat-camel

I could explain the whole thing, but it'd be easier to just check out the link. I've suffered with chronic lower back pain and this is one of the few stretches that actually relieves some pain for me.

I love this ^^^

I usually do this stretch after doing the back extension weight machine at the gym. It feels awesome.
  • bpg79
    Options
    Thanks! I will give that a try tonight, I think the tennis ball might hit the spot perfectly. :)