Exercise that doesn't flex knees

Options
Need to rest my knees, but would like to get some exercise. Any suggestions?

Replies

• sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    shadowboxing is a good cardio.. just don't bend at the knees.
  • kfox15
    kfox15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Do you swim? I had to take weeks off because of tendonitis in my quad but I was able to swin with a pull buoy. You'll want to avoid pushing off the wall but I just did a very modified flip and "tapped off" with my good side.
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Push-ups and other upper body work, maybe? You could also swim, which will still move your knees but will go easy on them.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Leg lifts?
    Are you trying not to flex your knees or not to stress them while flexing?
    If it's ok to bend or slightly flex your knees but not to stress them (as lunges, bike riding or running would do), try swimming, walking or speed walking.
  • charlesb22
    charlesb22 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Upper body weights? My boyfriend had arthroscopies on both knees and couldn't run, ride or even swim for a couple months. He did weights.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    You could always try a hand cycle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handcycle). You can buy versions online or a simple non-moving hand bike for home.

Or a rowing machine without bending the legs.
  • wxchaser
    wxchaser Posts: 178
    Options
    Bump. I have knee problems too and I'd like to see what everyone suggests.
  • hotmdphd
    hotmdphd Posts: 4
    Options
    swim!
  • abhiforlife
    abhiforlife Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Some good suggestions... thank you. I will probably go with the upper body weights for the moment as I can't swim :) The hand cycle isn't a bad idea for the future either.

I'm trying to rest the knees. I ran 5km+ 3 times in four days, never having run that far in my life. I have soreness around the kneecaps and the joints feel sluggish. I need to rest my knees and legs for a few days.