What was your A-ha moment?

Options
Everyone always says I decided...it just clicked. What was it for you? I have a friend who lost 90 lbs in 3 months (no not in any way healthy) but it was because she wanted to get pregnant again and couldn't at her weight. My younger sisters moment was when we were at a friends house, who told us her outfit was a size 12, when really it was a 20. Her moment was not wanting to be the "in denial girl.".

I have had ah moments and a moments, where I do well for a period of time but lose it. As is the case now.

So share your turning point for encouragement for the rest of us.

:-).

Replies

• myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I volunteered at a 5km that I at least should have been walking. I couldnt walk and had to use my mother in laws walker just to get around. No medical reason why I wasnt able to walk. Just plain morbidly obese.

As I sat on my walker at my post and watched the fit and not so fit fly by me I started to cry. I realized I had hit rock bottom and that something had to be done.

That was last October. It still took me a while to get off the couch and participate in life. First I joined WW online in Novemeber. I weighed 272 lbs. Probably not my highest weight though.

In March I decided enough was enough and I joined a gym and hired a personal trainer. Then in April I found MFP and closed my WW account.

Now I am participating in a running class at my gym. The lbs are coming off slowly but I found I love to exercise!!

Wish I had done this years ago.
  • paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Mine was at a routine doctor appointment. I had been ignoring my scale at home for quite some time, so when I saw the number just shy of 240, I was shocked and disgusted. My doctor gave me an earful, too.

On the drive home, it just kind of occurred to me, ya know, self, you are young-ish and still reasonably healthy, there is no reason why you cannot weigh what you did in high school. (And yes, I often have conversations with myself in the car LOL)

At home that evening, the universe sent a sign... while reading a magazine, there was an article on the best fitness mobile apps. MFP was not listed, but when I did an online search for some of the others, it kept appearing in the results.

I found it, loved it, and have just stuck with it. Yep, I have bad days/weeks, but I just keep plugging along with the faith that I WILL be thinner and healthier again. That's it for me.
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    The catalyst was seeing myself in our Disney photos. Also I knew I was ready because I was able to haul my kids around Disney World at 7 months post open heart surgery without dropping dead. I figure if I can do that for 8 days then I can do anything. Next February I'm going to look fantastic standing in front of Cinderella's Castle.
  • brenott
    brenott Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I flew to Phoenix to watch my sister run the Race for the Cure. Afterwards, when walking to the car, I couldn't keep up with any of my family, even though they had run a 5k and I had sat and watched. No one waited for me, and even got a little annoyed with me. I wanted to cry.

Later that afternoon, I had to fly back home. It was a smaller plane then the trip there, and so were the seats. It took more than one try to get the seat belt to fasten, and after my day, I was too mortified to ask for an extender.

I lost 125 lbs after that. I still have a way to go, and 30 of that has returned, but I'm back on track. I've even run quite a few 5k's and 10k's, and have signed up for the Denver Rock and Roll half in September. WAHOO!!!!!!
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    xmas photos from 2010. i looked at our family photos and couldnt believe it. i was horrified.
  • Allic1971
    Allic1971 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    When my jeans wouldn't fit, and the spare tyre was hanging over the top... didn't have any scales and when I bought some....like OMG when I saw the number on the scales I had never been so heavy... so it was my "hit the wall and slid down it moment".... time to do something..... So I did :drinker:
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of doctor's appointments in a 5-6 week period. Routine stuff. Eye appt, mammogram, flu, etc. For each appointment no matter what they weighed you first. (seriously, for an eye exam??) Somewhere in the middle of it all I got sick of seeing my weight in 6 inch flashing numbers, and sick of making excuses not to work out. The final kicker was my home scale hitting a number I would never have imaged years ago.
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    When I went to pick my smallish horse from the trainer and couldn't get on without something to stand on. I was mortified. As in ashamed. Want to be fit. Want to still be riding when I'm 80, at least. Can't do that if I throw it away now. Been two years, and I have 30 lbs off and 15 more to go. Not being efficient about losing it, but not turning back either!
  • lau444
    lau444 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I had avoided the doctor's office for years; afraid that I would get bad news regarding my health. So finally, in January of this year, I made the decision to go and have a full physical and blood panel done. Well, the entire time I waited for my blood results, I was completely terrified that I was diabetic. I was literally freaking out for three days. When i finally got my results, lo and behold, there was NOTHING wrong with me. No diabetes, no high cholesterol, no hypertension, NOTHING!

Well, those results really shook me up. I realized that I had been spared from those diseases. But I knew that my luck would run out very quickly if I didn't change. So, I guess my AHA momnet was me realizing that I didn't want to have to have a wake up call. My health is completely in my hands, and if it goes down from here, it's nobody's fault but my own. And I simply will not accept that.
  • sammi402
    sammi402 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    We went to my brother-in-law's wedding last august. When I saw the pics the first though that popped into my head was "who's the fat chick in my clothes". Then I bought a scale and realized i was waayy too close to 200lbs. Now it's 30lbs later and I'm halfway to goal (just posted pics in a thread). Can't wait to get the rest of these lbs off so i can be me again.

17134251.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • erikkasusann
    erikkasusann Posts: 104
    Options
    I saw myself in my wedding photos. Then I stayed in denial & excuse mode & got bigger. Then I saw the pics from my cousins' wedding & realized I was waaaaaaay bigger than I was when I was pissed off about how fat I looked in my pics. Now I've had it & I'm getting healthy & thin again!
  • VictorW2
    VictorW2 Posts: 18
    Options
    I looked at pics of me on Vacation and that was enough for me to change my eating. And the exercise all stayed the same. i dropped 10 lbs in the last month and approx 25 lbs total.
  • jilleebean777
    jilleebean777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I have been up and down with weight the past few years. I had done VERY well and lost almost 60 lbs, only to put it all back on. I took a "break" from the gym a little before christmas. With all good intentions to go back in Feb...yea, that did NOT happen! Then we bought a house, another excuse to NOT exercise, I'm busy unpacking! Plus we moved further away from the gym, making my ride from 15 min to 30min, GAS IS EXPENSIVE! I am also an emotional eater as well. Add it all up, and I have gained MORE back then I lost in the first place.

My A-ha moment was recent, and it was a few things. My clothes were not fitting, stomach hanging over them, I was getting winded just walking to the mail box! Then one day (after moving in furniture) we have a BIG mirror above one of our dressers, I saw myself naked. I stood there for a few minutes and began to cry. I couldn't believe how I allowed myself to go back to where i started. So i was VERY hurt.

I also had a chat with my mother, about how I would get shakey if I didn't eat for a certain amount of time. I got the whole diabetes talk and then find out it runs in our family. OH GREAT!!! Cried some more, I am the ONLY one who can change this.

Then to add salt to the wounds, I am in a wedding this summer. I purchased the dress I will be wearing (when I was 30 lbs lighter then I am now) in a size smaller then i should have to "motivate" me. It doesn't fit. I now have 2 months til the wedding, 2 months until summer. A-HA!!! YOU NEED TO EAT BETTER AND EXERCISE NOW!!

So I have had a few recently, all adding together to cause me to start up the Insanity Program, and eating/logging food.
  • donald149
    donald149 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    For me it was also pictures. After seeing my latest batch, I became angry, embarrassed, horrified, etc.. (insert bad word here type of idea.) With that, one day I couldn't fit into my pants and I suffered tag shock at the sizing I needed. That night I found this site and the healthier living began.
  • Tonilynn70
    Tonilynn70 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You all are so motivating!!! I make excuses (bc I can't get up at 630 am, bc I have to study or watch 2 hours of the Voice). Although, when I was losing weight and doing well, I was happier, had more energy and LOVED to exercise. I fell off the wagon and it's difficult to get motivated to get back on.

I am going to make a conscious effort to do something everyday. Even if I have to sacrifice, I am not an old lady ( almost 42), I shouldnt be huffing and puffing and cracking and in pain when I walk after sitting for a bit.

My sisters are coming to visit in 4 weeks... Let's see the changes I can make!!!

I love this site!!! Some of the most amazing people reside here!!!!!
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    i saw a victorias secret fashion show and i couldnt fit my fat hand to the bottom of a pringles jar hahahha. ////fail
  • huntingforhipbones
    Options
    I'd been in denial of my weight for years - especially given I'd gained a bit due to illness - but the real thing for me was going on holiday to America in the summer and not coming out of oversized jumpers and jeans and boots because I looked so hideous. I have only one picture of me from the ages of 11-17 and it's on that trip and I just looked so unhappy, so miserable, that I knew I had to lose weight. Plus, I'd been bullied about my disgusting appearance for years, and now, I might still be ugly, but at least I'm not fat :)
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Mine was the scales! Our broke a while back and I never replaces them. i knew I was getting fatter as the only clothes I could wear were jogging bottoms and walking anywhere made me shattered and my asthma was getting worse. I finally got some scales and could not believe the them - 245 lbs. So signed up here and I am on my way to being fitter.
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I had 2. The first was my mom, she looked at me one day and said "You look rough, we should lose weight together." I started, then I stopped because I think I was doing it more for her, than me.

The second was my fiance proposing.

I realized he's always been this fit, built, hunk of man, and I've always been bigger. I decided I wanted to look good not just to feel better about myself, but to be the girl I think he deserves to be with on the outside, as well as the inside.
  • lmbame905
    lmbame905 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My aha moment was going to pick out a wedding dress. I had about 9 months to shop, and I picked out the dress I wanted oniline, I just wanted to go to the store to make sure it fit.

I had been going through the motions of Weight Watchers and been a member of my gym for several years. I lost 22 lbs between January 1 and July, whatever it was, but I was stuck in a "plateau". You know, that place yyou feel cofortable, but arent really ready to do major change to get out of?

I knew the girl at the bridal shop from my gym. She took all the same class I do, and she was 10 years younger than me and a PE teacher. She was probably 50-70 lbs lighter than me (but who's counting, right?) She told me to get undressed and she would help me with the coreset bra and fastening the dresses. She asked me what size I wore and I told "14 seems to be a little tight right now". The sad thing was, she brough 14's, 16's and even a couple of 18's and they were all too small.

I did buy a dress that day believe it or not. I wasn't in love with it, but I was so mortified I just wanted to leave and chop off my body fat. This was supposed to be the one day I would look the most beautiful in my entire life. And I couldn't even fit into a dress.

Well, that day,or shortly thereafter, I learned about MFP and joined. I started at around 190 lbs and today I weighed at 167. No pills, no fads, just clean eating and hard work. I feel like crap when I don't work out, and when I eat "bad". I'm not finished, I am changing my life, and I still have a little way to go.

by the way, the people at the bridal shop were very annoyed with me and a think a little facinated. I returned my dress twice and wore a size 12 to my wedding. :) Pics in profile. :)