i have a question

Options

Replies

• jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest getting a heart rate monitor. Wear it. You can technically log anything above your calculated BMR, I would think.

If you use the MFP calorie calculators, the numbers tend to be high (per my experience anyway), so be careful... you probably don't want to eat all of your exercise calories back in that case. When I use MFP numbers, I always cut them in half based on the time I'm active.

The other thing you can do is set your activity level at "moderate" or "high", then just eat the calories MFP gives you. I know it suggests 1 lb per week, but for me that number of calories were unrealistically low and I'd always end up binging in the evening b/c I didn't have any calories left over so I'd just give up. I'm now set for 1/2 lb per week and it's easier to stay on track.

Just suggestions that work for me... you'll probably have to tweak things a few times to figure out what works for you.

Good luck!
    Jen
  • Daphnemomof9
    Daphnemomof9 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I believe any activity is burning calories, you might not get really toned though. Something I used to do for getting a little bit of toning was to do lifts with canned foods while I was cooking oatmeal or coco wheats at the stove. While I was stirring I would do side leg lifts, bicep curls, inner thigh lifts, etc. Now I use a fitbit to track all the steps I take in a day which might be useful for you to track how much you're really burning.

I'm actually concerned about how much sleep you're getting. Sleep is very important to your health and your kids. The ten month old definitely needs to be taking naps and when I had trouble with one of my kids at that age, a kind friend gave me the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child". It saved me and my children. At one point, when some of my kids were a little older for a nap, I had them all lay down while I read Beatrix Potter books and the little ones would always fall asleep and the bigger kids and I would sneak out of the room, although sometimes we'd fall asleep with them. :smile: But this could be a restful time for you as well. Even if they don't sleep, they should have some quiet time during the day. I hope I didn't sound too bossy, but I've totally been there.
  • samanthastewart
    samanthastewart Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    you could always incorporate little workouts in your cleaning! like.. do lunges instead of walking as you vacuum, squat every time you put something in the dishwasher, calf raises when you are folding something or ironing.. be creative! If youre breaking a sweat and have that heart rate elevated then thats always great!
  • momto1g1b
    momto1g1b Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Why not put the 10 month old in a sling or the stroller and go for a walk? The 4 year old would love looking for signs of spring, etc, and it will get you away from the house for a little bit. Even 10 minutes around the block every day will help! Do you have a family member or friend who would be willing to watch the kids for 30 minutes every other day? Pop in an exercise DVD or do a 12 minute www.bodyrock.tv workout. It's so important to take time out for yourself every day and just be YOU (not Mom, not the maid or chef, just you). I'm a mom of 2 as well, a 5 year old and a 14 month old - I made time for myself to workout almost every day and everyone has adjusted just fine ;) And I've got to say that 30 to 60 minutes of no one bugging me for anything is amazing, haha!!
  • LooseWheel
    LooseWheel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have worn my heart rate monitor (HRM) for many chores, cleaning and housework. Mowing and vacuming is the biggest! They are a calourie killer and its fantastic knowing there's a bonus for you physically by doing all the chores. I know with being a Mum, some think there's hours free in the day. Hubby looked after my 2 littlies for 2 weeks while I drove the truck. At the end he said "I'll never ask why nothing has been done ever again, I didn't even get to a load of washing". It really does go quick with the little kids, feeding, cleaning, feeding, cleaning. And of all things, you do the cleaning in the kitchen, in the laundry and around the house and the very next day it feels like you are doing EXACTLY the same things again! Doh!

Cheers and congrats on being a Mummy. Being on MFP means with focusing on yourself for lifestyle changes that are healthy means you are now a Yummy Mummy my dear :)

Lou
  • mjanemorgan
    mjanemorgan Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i would as i'm a mum of a baby that loves lots of attention and playing with too and do all the housework and i think it's easy to forget just how much hard work that it, sometimes just changing an extrememly wriggly baby is like a mini-workout for me!! i get worn out constantly running up and downstairs all day, getting things, putting washing on, hoovering, etc etc so I think you can definately count it. I know I don't ever get to work out apart from if I take my baby for a walk and I swear just being a stay at home mom/housewife helps me keep weight off so I can't imagine what it's like with more than one baby! but yes, i think you can count it :D

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-burned-child-care-sitting-kneeling-a104

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-burned-cleaning-a67

i found this I don't know if it helps! :)
  • nishsuz
    nishsuz Posts: 55
    Options
    Definately count ur chores. Hoovering is good if u do it while squatting. On the floor while cleaning suck in the abs. Do press ups against the mantlepeice. Ironing is good fir the arms. X
  • Aleara2012
    Aleara2012 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Instead of logging chores just set your activity level to active. You sure are active with two children and a house to clean every day!
  • Molly_Pitcher
    Molly_Pitcher Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I play loud music and dance like a mad woman while I clean! It ups the burn
  • alapoint89
    alapoint89 Posts: 632
    Options
    I believe any activity is burning calories, you might not get really toned though. Something I used to do for getting a little bit of toning was to do lifts with canned foods while I was cooking oatmeal or coco wheats at the stove. While I was stirring I would do side leg lifts, bicep curls, inner thigh lifts, etc. Now I use a fitbit to track all the steps I take in a day which might be useful for you to track how much you're really burning.

I'm actually concerned about how much sleep you're getting. Sleep is very important to your health and your kids. The ten month old definitely needs to be taking naps and when I had trouble with one of my kids at that age, a kind friend gave me the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child". It saved me and my children. At one point, when some of my kids were a little older for a nap, I had them all lay down while I read Beatrix Potter books and the little ones would always fall asleep and the bigger kids and I would sneak out of the room, although sometimes we'd fall asleep with them. :smile: But this could be a restful time for you as well. Even if they don't sleep, they should have some quiet time during the day. I hope I didn't sound too bossy, but I've totally been there.
    my sleep is between 3-5 hours or less
  • Aleara2012
    Aleara2012 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have worn my heart rate monitor (HRM) for many chores, cleaning and housework. Mowing and vacuming is the biggest! They are a calourie killer and its fantastic knowing there's a bonus for you physically by doing all the chores. I know with being a Mum, some think there's hours free in the day. Hubby looked after my 2 littlies for 2 weeks while I drove the truck. At the end he said "I'll never ask why nothing has been done ever again, I didn't even get to a load of washing". It really does go quick with the little kids, feeding, cleaning, feeding, cleaning. And of all things, you do the cleaning in the kitchen, in the laundry and around the house and the very next day it feels like you are doing EXACTLY the same things again! Doh!

Cheers and congrats on being a Mummy. Being on MFP means with focusing on yourself for lifestyle changes that are healthy means you are now a Yummy Mummy my dear :)

Lou

This made me think of this story: http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=416600801701416&set=a.275076982520466.79637.270070306354467&type=1&theater :)
  • newmrswood
    newmrswood Posts: 194
    Options
    Instead of logging chores just set your activity level to active. You sure are active with two children and a house to clean every day!

^THIS! I've been thinking about telling you to do this for a long time now
  • skendrick0601
    skendrick0601 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

This would be your best choice. On days that you do cleaning over and above your normal daily cleaning/chores, then certainly log that. (Like climbing up and down a ladder repeatedly to get the cobwebs down).
  • sherrylutz77
    Options
    im very new to this program and ive been sticking with this now for 15 or so days now. logging everything i eat, do, and keeping under my 1200 calorie goal. why am i still not loosing the weight? what can i do? excercising is out for another 2 weeks due to foot surgery. what advice does anyone have?
  • alapoint89
    alapoint89 Posts: 632
    Options
    heres the thing if i just put my thing to active then i will not log anything and also i am losing lots of weight from it aned its noticable
  • newmrswood
    newmrswood Posts: 194
    Options
    you wont need to log things then but it adjusts your calories and everything to better fit what you should be doing, it helps you to better see what you actually burn everyday. ALSO that means your logging will be much more accurate for when you do need to log things
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I have a BMF (tells me how many calories I burn). I can burn MORE calories on a weekend when I'm home with my children and cleaning all day than I do on a normal work day that includes a gym visit.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    heres the thing if i just put my thing to active then i will not log anything and also i am losing lots of weight from it aned its noticable

There you go. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    10 months and 4 year old and they make it hard to do any of those because they dont nap
    [/quote]

Talk to Hubby and tell him how important this is to you. Have him bathe the kids or put them to bed or simply play with them for 30 minutes when he gets home so you can have a half hour of me time. In fact, have him take 60 minutes. A half hour for you to work out and a half our of down time. You need it. It's not easy being a stay at home mom.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd set your MFP profile to lightly active and NOT log the daily activities. Then the calories are already included by having it set to lightly active. Then set it to losing half a pound or 1 lb per week, and count those calories :)
    I totally understand about the REALLY NO TIME thing. There were many times when I literally did not have time to exercise between work, baby, housework, breastfeeding, pumping, etc, etc, etc. I WISH I hadn't used that as an excuse to eat crappy too :|

Good luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!