advice for working out twice a day

Options
does anyone out there workout twice a day? what would be the best foods to eat in between workouts? can i do 2 cardio workouts in one day?

i mostly swim, run & do some jillian michaels toning dvd's....

any advice would be helpful!

thanks!

Replies

• Lyndo
    Lyndo Posts: 95
    Options
    I love to ride my bicycle in the morning for an hour, then after dinner I also go again, I love it, & at the same time I carry my son on my back bike.
    I normally eat a normal dinner & go after 30-40 of eating....
    but I'd also like to know the awnser to that same question!:flowerforyou:
  • horndave
    Options
    Renee,

I am currently working out twice a day. I can say that I am only going to do it for short periods of time just to change it up so the body doesnt know what is going on.

Nutrition is higher in carbs as the needed energy to do the exercises is needed, however think you could get by with a very balanced approach. Male that is typically taking in 2300 cals a day.

Hope this helps, The P90x series has a routine for doubles which is what I am currently doing.
  • mbaker1169
    mbaker1169 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I work out twice a day two to three times a week. I run 5 miles in the morning 4 times a week, and walk 5 two other mornings. At my kids soccer practice I lead a group fitness program for the other soccer moms which range from strength training and more cardio in the evenings. I find that this site is wonderful as it still tells me how much I can eat when I exercise. The benefits have been wonderful!! I lost 18 pounds before I started doubling up and now I can really, really enjoy those foods I missed due to burning the extra calories each day. I highly recommend eating your exercise calories as it does help speed up weight loss.

Also, I plan to train for a marathon so splitting workouts is helping me compensate. There is no way I as a mother of 2 and active duty military can run 16 miles during the weekday without splitting mornings and evenings. LOL!!!

The key is if you are tired, rest up-- good luck!!!
    Melissa
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    i say yes do as much as you can the biggest loser starts tonight and i"m going to try and keep up with thamthey say it not good for you to look out more than two hours but i"v seen fitness trainner have about five to six hour glasses a day allway get checked out by your doctor he will know if its okay get your abs in shape theri your power house muscels they give you most of your get up and go
  • wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    Options
    I work out twice a day some days, typically i do a pilates class in the morning, and then cardio and weight training at night.
  • CaGinger
    CaGinger Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I walk on my lunch and breaks then at night I get in my workout. :flowerforyou:
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    cardio twice a day is fine

weight training the same muscle groups twice a day is bad

working certain muscles groups should be an every other day thing at the earliest
  • deamarie
    Options
    I don't suggest you do 2 cardio sessions in one day. The human body just does not need that much. I know, as women, we think the more cardio the better. Not true! If you are going to do 2-a-days then do 1 strength session and 1 cardio session. I have read numerous artices that say do the cardio in the a.m. so your muscles will be warmed up for strength in the p.m. As far as nutrition goes, it is good to have a combo of protein and carb on both ends of your workout. I cannot eat much before an a.m. workout so I usually have a piece of pb toast. My preworkout snack in the p.m. is a protein shake (with water) and a piece of fruit. Post workout is whatever I have for breakfast and supper. Good luck! 2-a-days are tough but you will see results.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    3 days a week I do 45 minutes to an hour or cardio, biking or elliptical,
    3 days a week I do 30-45 minutes of cardio and 45 minutes of strength training with freeweights.

Big strategy issue for me is; which to do first? I like the cardio first so I'm already warmed up and sweaty when I pick up the first weight, but I get a better weights workout when I start fresh.

I feed carbs first and protein after. I feel great and have a great routine and I'm making good progress.
  • Luludog1
    Options
    I work out twice a day and love it. Run and Jullian Michaels in the morning for an hour and walk to 45minutes on my lunch break...works for me. Good luck to you, too.