Killed by Personal Trainer

Options
perham07
perham07 Posts: 25 Member
I am 3 weeks into using a personal trainer but I can not shake the pain I get in my legs every time I work out. Should I be concerned that he is working me too hard or is this normal? I know I need to be pushed but should i set the boundries or trust him to know what is too much?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    I am 3 weeks into using a personal trainer but I can not shake the pain I get in my legs every time I work out. Should I be concerned that he is working me too hard or is this normal? I know I need to be pushed but should i set the boundries or trust him to know what is too much?
    How many times do you work out a week with him?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • perham07
    Options
    Twice a week for 30 minutes
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    What kind of leg exercises are you doing?

Is it just muscular pain?
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    You should be sore from a workout. Sometimes up to 48 hours. If your trainer is properly trained, he/she will have good info. Ask him or her next time you work out together. I'm sure you pay enough money to get a little advice on how to lower/eliminate excess soreness.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Twice a week for 30 minutes
    Is the pain acute pain or is it pain from lactic acid build up (burning sensation)?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • perham07
    Options
    It's mostly a stiff pain. I feel like i can't walk the next couple of days. Hurts to even sit in my recliner and get back up. It should get better soon I hope.
  • perham07
    Options
    You should be sore from a workout. Sometimes up to 48 hours. If your trainer is properly trained, he/she will have good info. Ask him or her next time you work out together. I'm sure you pay enough money to get a little advice on how to lower/eliminate excess soreness.

He says I should increase my protein after workouts and soak in a bath before bed.
  • perham07
    Options
    What kind of leg exercises are you doing?

Is it just muscular pain?

He has me going to different machines every time. I typically do 3-4 different ones each time. I do legs on Mondays and arms on Fridays.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Do you stretch after your workout or do a light cardio cool down (cycling, walking, etc) to help flush the lactic acid out of your muscles?
  • perham07
    Options
    Do you stretch after your workout or do a light cardio cool down (cycling, walking, etc) to help flush the lactic acid out of your muscles?

I do 30 minutes on treadmill after training
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Sounds normal to me.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

Sounds like muscle soreness, I'd do that he said... make sure you stretch afterwards, do a light cool down, drink a protein shake if you don't get enough protein in your diet.... once you've been regularly exercising for a few weeks you won't hurt as bad.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    If you're pushing your limits during a 30 min workout, especially if any of the exercises are ones you have not done before, two days of stiffness and soreness sounds about right.

This pattern should decrease fairly rapidly over weeks and you should start to experience less pain after working out.
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I had that in the begining whe I started to work with a trainer, usually you are discovering muscles you forgot you had. :noway: After awhile the soreness will get better, are you working out the next day? I found even as sore as I could get, going for a walk or using an elliptical helped a ton, yes very painful at first, but then when the muscles warm up it feels great!
  • samanthastewart
    samanthastewart Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same way after I workout with my trainer. Your cooldown is good but make sure you stretch really well and stretch throughout the next few days following the workout. Also, look into buying a "Foam Roller". It's not expensive and is an excellent tool for working out the lactic acid buildup you will get and just help loosen up tight muscles all together. It's my saving grace for sure and can be used on pretty much any body part/muscle group.
  • MikeBegley
    MikeBegley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You'll get that soreness for a while, at least a few weeks, while your body adapts to the new regimen, and you'll also get it anytime you really step up your workout. For me, it tends to peak about 48 hours after a good hard workout after I really push myself. Your body just hasn't gotten the muscle buildup yet, but it's coming.

Pay attention to any sharp pains that don't just feel like muscle aches, or to anything that seems to be persistent and not going away within 48-72 hours of a workout, or that cause swelling or tenderness. Your trainer should be paying attention to any aspects of your form that can be causing injury, but you also need to give him feedback if you feel like something is beyond simply pushing yourself. You can exercise yourself into an injury, and you want to avoid that.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I worked out with a trainer 2-4 times a week the first couple times I couldnt walk... it started to get better in time and understanding this was "the process" I think soreness is normal but if you are getting shooting pain or anything like that I would be seen by a doctor.

Also my trainer is against streching before working out (I dont know why I gave up asking) But I found that when I strech it HELPS SO MUCH! I was told by ANOTHER trainer to strech... so who knows /shrug
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Welcome to doing work. Sometimes it hurts. MAN (girl) up and DO IT SOME MORE!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    If your MUSCLES are SORE then dont worry about it, its just muscles that havent been moving hard for a while getting some work done and its fine but if the muscles are feeling the exact same pain as the day of the workout then have it checked.

However, if your BONES are HURTING, then thats totally different thing and that pain would last more than 3 days and you should definitely contact or have it looked at.

PS. My personal experience, I am not a doc or a trainer, just what I have learned working out with trainers. If you're feeling pain for the next 48 hours but the pain is decreasing, don't worry about it
  • cherdan
    cherdan Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Bahahaha it's really hard not to take this thread header literally. Forgive my morbid sense of humor, but, come on, I know I'm not the only one...