Question re:calories

Options
Hello, All~~
If anyone can help me with this, I would appreciate it greatly)
I am trying to figure out how many calories my body actually needs) and it's very difficult.The goal I thing is wrong on here because it seems way too low for me as I've tried it and It seems my body needs more calories, When you exercise, and you earn calories, is that what you eat and stay with for the day? I hope this makes sense)
What I mean is, when you burn the calories, and let's say you have obviously already eaten calories that day, and you eat the calories you have earned, is this all your suppose to have for the day? I'm just a bit lost on this)
thank you! I appologize if this is confusing))

Replies

• krisaddress
    krisaddress Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I work on not eating more then 1350 cals, if I exercise I do not eat more. I drink up to 3L of water a day and if I'm a little hungry ill add some sugar free cordial or have a cup of tea. I got told that to lose 1kg it takes 3500cals (I'm not sure how true this is but if I'm wrong someone will point it out)

If you eat smart, eg: lots of veggies, wholegrain, etc you shouldn't get as hungry - someone once asked me am I hungry or just taste bud hungry... Sometimes I get a little bored so I think I'm hungry... This helped me a little cause now I question myself before I eat.

Good Luck!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you want to use MFP as it was designed, fill in all information accurately, and eat all the calories it gives you. Yes, this means exercise calories as well.

Another way to do it, is figure your TDEE and eat 500 calories less than that per day.

Either way, it will come to approximately the same number.

Understanding energy balance is the key. It's very simple. Read about it, master it, and then get on to more interesting goals like strength and fitness. :)
  • kylas7
    kylas7 Posts: 16
    Options
    thank you very much for the both of your responses It, helped greatly, Thank you!~
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to "Eat your exercise calories" then list your activity level as higher than sedentary. Easy fix.
  • Becca224
    Becca224 Posts: 36
    Options
    If you want to use MFP as it was designed, fill in all information accurately, and eat all the calories it gives you. Yes, this means exercise calories as well.

Another way to do it, is figure your TDEE and eat 500 calories less than that per day.

Understanding energy balance is the key. It's very simple. Read about it, master it, and then get on to more interesting goals like strength and fitness. :)

Excuse me but what is TDEE and how would I figure that out? Thank you for your help
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

Excuse me but what is TDEE and how would I figure that out? Thank you for your help

TDEE stands for Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It's roughly how many calories you'd need to eat to maintain your bodyweight. Here's a calculator you can use to find out your TDEE.
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • taso42
    Options

See this post http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/510406-tdee-is-everything

There are also online calculators that can compute it for you, like this one http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • taso42
    Options
    @Nopedotjpeg jinx!
  • Becca224
    Becca224 Posts: 36
    Options

TDEE stands for Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It's roughly how many calories you'd need to eat to maintain your bodyweight. Here's a calculator you can use to find out your TDEE.
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Thank you so much. I keep hearing people mention TDEE but wasn't sure what it was or how to figure it out. So does that mean even if I go over my fitness pal calories, im alright as lomg as i stayy in my TDEE. Cause fitness pal says 1300 but I find that really difficult! Thanks