New Mommy needs help

Options
Hello everyone,
I just had a baby 6weeks ago via c-section. I started working out and was wondering what kind of exercise I can do for my tummy. I also notice that when I am running my incision is tender. I use a compression belt to help but I was wonder how long should I be wearing this belt.

Replies

• kiku76
    kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    hi mama. congrats.
    I've had 2 c-sections. You're not going to like my answer but here it is. I think it's still too early for you to be running, especially if your incision is tender. Doing too much too soon can rupture the internal stitches.
    With that said, for tummy, I do reverse crunches, leg lifts, you know, the basics that work your lower tummy. I really like pilates and planks planks and more planks.
    I started off walking and I think I did more (probably 30DS) closer to 8 or 9 weeks PP. sorry, my 2nd is now 15 months so I dont remember exactly.
  • jenngarza
    jenngarza Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply..I think your right maybe its too early to start running..this was my first c-section and I bounce back pretty fast so I guess I was over confident..I bought a pilates DVD and will start in the morning so I am excited to get my core back in shape..this c-section stuff is all new to me so I appreciate your advice
  • kiku76
    Options
    What I learned is that even though the outside seems to be healed, the inside takes much longer. Remember, they cut through everything, fat, muscle, nerves. All those layers need to heal back together.
    I heal pretty quick too. With my 2nd, I had DS at 11:48 am and I was up and walking around by 5am the next day. I went home the day after even though they wanted me to stay one more day. I was over the hospital LOL.
    I wasn't confident enough to do anything more than walking for awhile. I didnt want to rupture anything, then I'd really be set back in the healing process.
    If you feel any pain, stop. There is plenty of time to exercise. Heal your tummy first.
  • Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm active duty military and am required to do my PT test at 6mths post baby, so I understand were you're coming from. It sounds like its too early for you to be doing vigorous exercise. I know us military folks are told that we should be running until we can we walking at a pace of 15:00 per mile for two miles, which isn't usually til the 8 week mark.
  • jenngarza
    Options
    I was the same way..everyone was suprise on how fast I was up and about after my c-section and I left after on my third day even though they ask if I wanted to stay an extra day...I was like nope no thanks LOL...I just tried pilates and OMG!!!! I totally love it!!! It was hard yet awesome at the same time
  • jenngarza
    Options
    I'm active duty military and am required to do my PT test at 6mths post baby, so I understand were you're coming from. It sounds like its too early for you to be doing vigorous exercise. I know us military folks are told that we should be running until we can we walking at a pace of 15:00 per mile for two miles, which isn't usually til the 8 week mark.

I was former Army and I guess I still have that mindset so I will wait a couple of more weeks and try again and see how I feel...Its like my mind is ready but my body is like nope not happening LOL
  • lrforge
    lrforge Posts: 17
    Options
    I agree with a previous poster, I think the incision is to new for running. That is a very tender area that takes a long time to heal-I have had a c-section too. Just take it slow and don't push yourself. Allow extra time for that area on the tummy.
    Congrats by the way!
  • lmarquez113
    Options
    I am a new mommy to my 2nd girl- both by C Section, 3 months old and 3 1/2 yrs old. I also would like some tips on losing this tummy. I have heard it is alot harder to lose it after a c section than natual birth.
  • aprilgraciete
    aprilgraciete Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to agree with everyone else that it may be too early. I know how you feel. You can't wait to feel normal again and get rid of the evidence on your body that you had a baby lol. After my first C-section I started with just walking then after 8 weeks or so I did 30DS. If you feel any pain in your belly then that is a good time to stop! I always heard that it is harder to get rid of your belly after a C-section but it didn't seem that way for me. The incision is so low and small these days (even for twins!) that it didn't seem to affect my belly. Good luck with your new baby and with losing the weight!
  • jenngarza
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I'm going to take it slow and start on pilates and go from there
  • kiku76
    Options
    good luck!
    Pilates doesnt seem to be a huge calorie burner but I always feel it after.
    I just started weight training but I still do pilates to warm up. i love it!
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Did your Dr. give you the all clear? I had a C-section and my doctor said no exercise, no heavy lifting, no vacuuming and no rigorous housework until minimum 8 weeks postpartum. Then I started with a specially designed exercise class for recovery after pregnancy.

I agree with a previous poster it is too early for you to exercise. If you feel okay to do something (at 6 weeks I still couldn't STAND for more than an hour) do pelvic floor exercises.

And for God's sake, ask your doctor about appropriate exercises. Someone on here could give you some stupid advice like "I never had a C-section but I did crunches to get rid of the mommy tummy starting a few weeks after birth" and then you rip internal stitches, have internal bleeding and risk your future fertility.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    3 c-sections here and more agreement with the above posters. Walk, don't run. I wouldn't touch ab exercises yet...not to discourage you, but they probably won't make a big difference anyway just yet. You need more time! Get some easy cardio and save the ab work for a little farther down the road. I was in a big hurry with my first baby and I did crunches when I wasn't supposed to. It didn't make any difference than when I waited with my next two. Enjoy that new babe! ;-)
  • jenngarza
    Options
    Yes my doctor clear me. :smile:
  • sarahruizfitnessjourney
    sarahruizfitnessjourney Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the previous posters, it's best to start walking first and not running. After my c-section with twins my doctor didn't clear me until around 8 weeks and he even told me if I wanted to start exercise to start off slow with walking and then listen to my body and take it from there.
  • jenngarza
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice I really appreciate it
  • lovemykids58
    lovemykids58 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    hi mama. congrats.
    I've had 2 c-sections. You're not going to like my answer but here it is. I think it's still too early for you to be running, especially if your incision is tender. Doing too much too soon can rupture the internal stitches.
    With that said, for tummy, I do reverse crunches, leg lifts, you know, the basics that work your lower tummy. I really like pilates and planks planks and more planks.
    I started off walking and I think I did more (probably 30DS) closer to 8 or 9 weeks PP. sorry, my 2nd is now 15 months so I dont remember exactly.

Me too. After each baby the c-section seems easier- either way dont start too soon.. give yourself 8 weeks before you start doing anything "hard core" or where there is a lot of movement to the abs
  • jpinge
    jpinge Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have had 4 c- sections and a very large tumor removed from my abdomen....I will tell you to take it all very slowly...walk walk walk and get your abs stronger that way. I rushed back into things after my tumor surgery and now I am paying for it with a gross looking hernia along my incision line which will need to be repaired. Not something I am excited about having done as I really don't want anybody touching my stomach again surgically:(. Be careful and don't over due
  • jenngarza
    Options
    I have had 4 c- sections and a very large tumor removed from my abdomen....I will tell you to take it all very slowly...walk walk walk and get your abs stronger that way. I rushed back into things after my tumor surgery and now I am paying for it with a gross looking hernia along my incision line which will need to be repaired. Not something I am excited about having done as I really don't want anybody touching my stomach again surgically:(. Be careful and don't over due
    Yikes!!! I'm so sorry your having to endure that
  • jenngarza
    Options
    Well I have one more week till I hit my 8week mark. I didn't realize he was already seven weeks time flies when your having fun lol but I will take the advice and go slow