Back pain from jogging?

Options
I've been doing C25K and just completed week 5 (20 min. run). I think I'm starting to have a little bit of lower back pain, and the only think I can think about is that it's from the jogging, with the impact and all. I would hate to give up the jogging since I really love it, but hurting my back wouldn't be too good either.
Any ideas?
What surfence is it best and worst to run on?
Thanks!

Replies

• kurenaikumo
    kurenaikumo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Do you have properly fitted shoes? Have the insoles of your shoes broken down from wear and tear? I'd start there.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I used to have shin and arch pain from jogging that no shoe could fix. Then I started running on dirt roads instead of man-made surfaces and *walah!* no pain. Maybe that's worth looking into?

Another thought could be checking your stride. A more rolling gait could help.

Best wishes!
  • MsDandimite
    MsDandimite Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    After checking your shoes etc, also see if you might perhaps need to work on strengthening your core muscles? (abs.) I get more back pains when my core is out of shape as I tend to "swank" more and don't have the ab strength to keep a good posture.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Are you landing on your heels while running? Try to shorten your stride and achieve a midfoot strike.

Someone else mentioned core strength, that too is crucial to good running form. Planks, superman etc can help strengthen your core. (Especially if you have a sedentary office job - sitting at a desk is really bad from a health perspective but that's what many of us do 8 hrs a day)

If the pain continues see your doctor. It could be as simple as a pulled muscle or it could be something else. A few years ago after a bumpy plane ride over the Grand Canyon my back was killing me, the kids thought it was hilarious as I could barely bend over to tie my shoes. Turned out I have mild osteoarthritis in my back but it hasn't stopped me from running, just keeps me out of small planes and limits my roller coaster rides.
  • chanaleib
    chanaleib Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for all the good advice. i'll work on it: shoes, gait, abs. great ideas.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    After checking your shoes etc, also see if you might perhaps need to work on strengthening your core muscles? (abs.) I get more back pains when my core is out of shape as I tend to "swank" more and don't have the ab strength to keep a good posture.

this is probably the best bet....doing alot of core work will help that!
  • J3rk
    J3rk Posts: 8
    Options
    i have slipped and torn discs in my back and i can say that shoes and core work made a HUGE difference to my back from when i started running until now and also helps in general everyday with my back too.
  • nyspotlight
    nyspotlight Posts: 124
    Options
    For me - I always get lower back pain when I start running again. It usually goes away after a couple of weeks. I think it's just soreness from using those muscles in a new way. I also have a very pronounced curve to my spine (in at waist, then back out), which puts more pressure on that lower back area.

That being said, you know best what is just a bit of soreness and what is the danger-warning of PAIN. For me, I just get achy at the beginning.
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    if it is lower back, I had a massage therapist at a 5k tell me its related to tight hamstrings...
  • RAF_Guy
    RAF_Guy Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    As is evident from all the different posts, back pain can be caused by so many things. I suffered from years until somebody finally checked how flexible my hamstrings were. Not very as it happened - in the words of the physio, "Your hamstrings are as tight as banjo strings". So lots of stretching exercises for my legs and hey presto, I have not had a serious back issue since then.
  • mrssquid
    mrssquid Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    if it is lower back, I had a massage therapist at a 5k tell me its related to tight hamstrings...

Completely agree with the hamstring issue. If they are too tight, they will pull at your lower back. Stretch them really good before and after a run, before bed, etc. that should help. good luck
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Do you have big "girls?" That gives me back pain when I run.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I've been doing C25K and just completed week 5 (20 min. run). I think I'm starting to have a little bit of lower back pain, and the only think I can think about is that it's from the jogging, with the impact and all. I would hate to give up the jogging since I really love it, but hurting my back wouldn't be too good either.
    Any ideas?
    What surfence is it best and worst to run on?
    Thanks!

Concrete or tarmac is the worst surface, with grass or sand being the best because it is soft and gives a lot. Dirt-tracks are fine.
  • nicakk01
    nicakk01 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    along with checking your shoes, gait etc... might want to consider adding a bi weekly/weekly chiropractor adjustment. I noticed a huge difference in my running/jogging when I keep my appointments as scheduled.
  • pasturepilot
    pasturepilot Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    There's more one way to skin a cat, and there's more than one way to run. I adopted a barefoot running style a little less than a year ago and started slow - you have to, since it uses a whole different group of muscles. But, there is a lot less impact involved. It took the impact of heel strikes out of my knees, and turned my whole legs into shock absorbers. Night and day difference. Feel free to contact me if you'd like, I'm happy to share some links and book titles. BUT, don't just go out and make it up yourself. Lots of broken metatarsals out there will attest to the importance of knowing what you're doing....

But, it made a night and day difference in getting me off the couch and down the road.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    There's more one way to skin a cat, and there's more than one way to run. I adopted a barefoot running style a little less than a year ago and started slow - you have to, since it uses a whole different group of muscles. But, there is a lot less impact involved. It took the impact of heel strikes out of my knees, and turned my whole legs into shock absorbers. Night and day difference. Feel free to contact me if you'd like, I'm happy to share some links and book titles. BUT, don't just go out and make it up yourself. Lots of broken metatarsals out there will attest to the importance of knowing what you're doing....

But, it made a night and day difference in getting me off the couch and down the road.

You can run with proper form with shoes on and get the same results. Just sayin'.
  • plums
    plums Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    People have mentioned hamstrings but I get lower back pain from tight glutes (according to a physio). They are often over looked when stretching and when they are tight you feel it in your back. I highly recommend working a glute stretch into warm up and warm down.