A bit random - need friends who use metric system

Options
2»

Replies

• Aleara2012
    Aleara2012 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hi! I use the metric system. I use liquid measure mostly (mL, metric cups, etc.) but I often use weight measurements in grams because living in Switzerland, all nutritional statements on food packaging uses 100g as a basic unit, which is annoying! Tor example, I will have a 125g pot of yogurt, and it will give me the nutritional information based on 100g.

Yep, same here in Germany. I then simply use 1,25 unuts of 100g. Works fine!
  • Elise_healthy4life
    Elise_healthy4life Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Metric here to feel free to add me
  • dragongirl1313
    Options
    Hi - I'm using metric here in NZ too. Anyone please feel free to add me too!
    Nice to meet some many friendly people here
  • kaffran
    kaffran Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm metric too. Would love to be your friend. Wouldn't it be great if this site had a converter on it - an easy reference tool for both weight and height.
  • skinnysoonsima
    skinnysoonsima Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Metric as well :)
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I notice that there are fewer duplicates in the database for metric foods. At least if it's 'per 100 g', you don't need a different entry for each size of packet. And you don't need one entry for cups, another for ounces, and another for half packet.

Just compare entries for Walmart (the US brand) with entries for Asda (the same company but in the UK).

A lot of people entering metric servings try to make them easy to find by putting '100 g' in the title. If you guys could do that too, it would be great. Thanks.
  • Melampus
    Melampus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi! I use the metric system. I use liquid measure mostly (mL, metric cups, etc.) but I often use weight measurements in grams because living in Switzerland, all nutritional statements on food packaging uses 100g as a basic unit, which is annoying! Tor example, I will have a 125g pot of yogurt, and it will give me the nutritional information based on 100g.

I live in the UK too and our food labelling is exactly the same. I wonder if it is some European standard. Anyway I suspect the intent is to allow you to directly compare the nutrients in different products without having to adjust for different portion sizes.

Many foods in MFP having 100g as a serving size and at least in the metric system you can do a lot of adjustment just by putting the decimal point in the right place, for example if you eat 125g you can enter that as 1.25 servings of 100g. If you ate 80g that would be 0.8 servings of 100g.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Melampus wrote:
    I wonder if it is some European standard.

Yes.
    http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/consumers/product_labelling_and_packaging/l21092_en.htm
    "The information must be expressed per 100g or per 100ml. They can also be expressed per package or per portion."

Melampus wrote:
    If you ate 80g that would be 0.8 servings of 100g.

Alternatively:
    Select the down-arrow to the right of "100 g".
    Select the "1 g" option.
    Enter 80 servings of 1 gram.
  • pinkvanilla
    pinkvanilla Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hahaha. i use the metric too. i'm asian! add me as a friend if you want! :)