Keeping the curves...

Options
I was wondering if there are any exercises I should avoid if I want to keep some of the curviness to my shape - specifically, my hips and butt. I have a big, rounded butt and I don't want to lose it (my husband has said he'll disown me if I do :laugh: ). I just started doing my Slim in 6 (I've done it twice before) and all the squats and lunges are lifting it nicely but once I finish this round, I want to start something else (hubby and I are looking into P90X) but I want to know if there are any exercises I should skip over or modify to keep my curvier figure. TIA!!!

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Shoot, I've lost 25 lbs and my butt hasn't gone anywhere! Squats, lunges and deadlifts are great for working the glutes and the surrounding muscles that give a butt a 'perky' look. Nothing is going to make it flat unless you decide to take up distance running without sufficient calorie intake and resistance training (no offense to distance runners, but it causes cortisol release, generally promoting the loss of certain fiber types).
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Yay for you for loving your curves!!!

As long as you keep up with the squats and lunges, you should be able to keep your curves. They're probably a natural part of your shape and you would have a more difficult time if you were trying to get rid of them than if you're trying to keep them. I wouldn't say there are any exercises you should avoid.
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    LOL. I know exactly what you mean about your husband. My fiance would cry if I lost my hips and butt and boobs. I know my butt isn't going anywhere though (I have had it even when I was in the 5th grade and was skinny as a rail). I am worried about losing my boobs though.
  • pooh70
    pooh70 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am with you on keeping the curves. E!online has a story about Beyonce's work out (the girl knows all about curves) and tells what exercises she does (I remember the backward lunges with hand weights). Good Luck!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Your body will give up the fat from wherever it choses...we really have no say in that part of it.
  • southernletteXO
    Options
    I agree. I wanna keep my curves too. My boyfriend absolutely LOVES my butt and he also said he would pretty much disown me if i lost it :laugh:

but i was actually wondering the same thing, because i don't wanna lose my butt or my hips either :smile:
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Oh, to have this worry.:wink: .... I inherited an awful family disease from my father. He says its called it "Noassatall".
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of my butt and my big ole shelf hips and I am so glad! It was time for them to go. You could have used my hips for a small table. Good riddance to it. :tongue:

I hope you can keep your curves though. :flowerforyou:
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Yay for curvy gals!

Squats are great for the bootie! I agree with the person who mentioned Beyonces workout. (sorry can't see you name from where I'm typing) And I have read that those of us who have curves in the lower body should avoid elipticals and stair climbers if we want to lose it. So I do the eliptical and stair climber, cuz I don't want to lose it!
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yay for curvy gals!

Squats are great for the bootie! I agree with the person who mentioned Beyonces workout. (sorry can't see you name from where I'm typing) And I have read that those of us who have curves in the lower body should avoid elipticals and stair climbers if we want to lose it. So I do the eliptical and stair climber, cuz I don't want to lose it!

Ooh yay! I do the stairclimber all the time!
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    Yay for curvy gals!

Ooh yay! I do the stairclimber all the time!

My @$$ has never looked as good as it does now because of the stairclimber, especially since I HATE squats and lunges.
  • cheshirekat
    cheshirekat Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    LOL. I know exactly what you mean about your husband. My fiance would cry if I lost my hips and butt and boobs. I know my butt isn't going anywhere though (I have had it even when I was in the 5th grade and was skinny as a rail). I am worried about losing my boobs though.

haha the biggest my boobs ever were (and it wasn't very big!) was 55 pounds ago, unfortunately, they were the first thing to go. My butt was huge, and it is still curvy but its shrinking in proportion with the rest of my body, which is nice. Now I just wish my thighs would do the same!