Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

2 Weeks of rest?!?!

Hey everyone! I just came back from the doctor where I was told I tore a muscle near my knee. Lots of pain and no fun. I am suppose to rest as much as possible, keep it elevated and no exercising until it heals...possibly one to two weeks. I am very good about following doctor's orders. But the no working out part has me a bit worried. I am new to MFP and have been faithfully logging on, eating pretty good and working out. I am worried that I may backslide and gain the five pounds I have lost so far back.

Any advice? I would appreciate it, thanks!

Replies

• LanderRose81
    LanderRose81 Posts: 237 Member
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member
    Hey everyone! I just came back from the doctor where I was told I tore a muscle near my knee. Lots of pain and no fun. I am suppose to rest as much as possible, keep it elevated and no exercising until it heals...possibly one to two weeks. I am very good about following doctor's orders. But the no working out part has me a bit worried. I am new to MFP and have been faithfully logging on, eating pretty good and working out. I am worried that I may backslide and gain the five pounds I have lost so far back.

Any advice? I would appreciate it, thanks!

You need to rigidly stick to your daily allowance of calories during this two weeks as you will be unable to exercise.

Providing you are in a deficit, you will be fine, seriously and then before you know it, your muscle will be healed and you will be back to exercising.

Just ensure you stick to your daily allowance though x
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 302 Member
    I agree with sticking to your calories, but it your goal is to lose a lot per week and you have trouble sticking to it, you might consider changing your goal rather than feeling defeated. If you are set to lose 1 pound per week, maybe go to 0.5 - or just keep an eye on not going over maintenance. That way you don't backslide!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    If you have some weights you can still exercise your upper body when sitting in chair.
  • sailorsiren13
    sailorsiren13 Posts: 460
    drink lots of water, watch your calories and maybe you can do so upper body and core work. Good luck to you being injured sucks.
  • bridgeo74
    bridgeo74 Posts: 191 Member
    How about swimming???
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    i have the same thing, i will rest for until saturday and than i am going to try biking and rowing to see how that goes
  • kimboyle92
    kimboyle92 Posts: 26 Member
    I'm in the same boat ... injured my achilles -no running for a week or two. I'm still going to walk and do my upper body workouts and watch my calorie intake. Good luck and hope it heals fast for you
  • LanderRose81
    Thank you all so much! I have been doing some upper body stuff - very minimal to be honest though. I had to go see the doctor again today and she said I was healing very quickly! I told her it was because I was following her directions to-the-letter and I was babying my leg. :laugh:

I leave for vacation on the 13th (my first one ever) and I don't want to spend it in pain!!! :glasses:
  • Annie_ga
    Annie_ga Posts: 72
    Please RICE (Rest, Ice, Compress and Elevate) for as long as your knee need it - it's worth it to totally heal. No hurry to lose a lot of weight now - you've got the rest of your life to eat healthy foods within boundaries. Sometimes, life happens. Keep up with the strengthening exercises though!
  • LanderRose81
    Totally got the RICE thing down!!! :laugh:

I am not looking to lose major weight overall (I am the only in the middle of my profile picture-BTW) just about 15 or so more pounds.

This is really a lifestyle change for me. I am trying to set a good example for my family.

I think my main worry was losing what progress I have made in the last couple weeks.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 920 Member
    Totally feel you! I have tedonitis in my foot from from training for a 1/2 marathon. I was told 2 wks of no long walking/running motion. That would really set me back in my training schedule...but what are you going to do? Run till you are hardbroke and then not have a choice LOL
  • LanderRose81
    When is your 1/2?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Last fall I was sidelined for a few weeks - complete bed rest for part of the time, and no workouts at all. I was careful about eating and continued to log in and track all my food. I didn't gain any weight during that time.

Hope your knee is all healed up soon! Take it easy - it will be worth it!

And I second the hand weights for exercises while you're sitting (or lying down, knee elevated of course!). :smile: