Self Control

Options
I need help with self control.

I have no will power, if someone comes up and askes if I want to go to Pizza Hut for lunch I say ok without even thinking about it. I have a hard time turning people down and saying no. I did not really want pizza for lunch but I just couldn't say no. I feel like crap now that I have eaten it instead of my turkey sammy. and now I have gone over on my cals nad have not even had dinner yet. :grumble:
I just don't know what to do.
I am the worst with food selection. I keep telling myself it will be ok to have a little treat here and there, but then it turns in to all the time.

I need help please

Replies

• theresefulford
    theresefulford Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Go home and take a long brisk walk. Stop by the gym and work out. That will help!
  • Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    Just exercise a little longer and chalk it up to a bad day. I do the same thing all the time. I really feel like everyone cut in front of me in the willpower line and when I got to the front they said " sorry - we're all out!" :grumble:

I have recently been asking myself if I really want to do all the extra working out that it will take to eat the junk that I always want. It has been helping some......plus I try to look things up in advance to see how many calories I will be shoving into my face. Sometimes it is staggering the amount of calories that foods have!

Don't beat yourself up, just pick yourself up and give it another go!
  • MyKids04
    MyKids04 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have no self control either but I did something I would have been ashamed to do. I told everyone I am trying to change my life and eating better and working out. This way I have everyone supporting me and they won't invite me to go have pizza. But I still have one coworker who always ask if I want some of her candy and I just remind her everyday it won't be good for my diet.

But it helps if those inviting you out know you need their support.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    maybe this will help?

I wrote it a while ago (evidenced by it being posted under my old username), but it seems relevant in this case.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/13618-the-dying-art-of-will-power
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    for dinner do a salad with only vinegar on it.. Make sure your salad has spinach in it and lots of good veggies... make good choices for the rest of the day!
  • pavang82
    pavang82 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Im in need of self control as well.
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    Thanks Banks
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    it sounds like i actually wrote this thread. you must be my long lost twin! i feel like i battle myself every single day! and i'm the loser every single day!!
  • ctucker07
    ctucker07 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think we all have trouble with self control or we wouldn't be on this website....lol. I find the best deterrent to falling off the wagon is to have your goals or the reason you want to lose basically shoved in your face. I have a picture of myself that I hate and picture of myself from before I met my husband (when I was much thinner) stuck on the fridge door so everytime I go to open it I'm reminded to ask myself if I really want what I'm going in there for. My friend has a list of her reasons stuck in her car and on her bathroom mirror so she's always reminded. You just need something to make you stop and think so you can make the right decisions.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Im new to this site, but it's great to know people struggle just as much as me....my response to your post is life is all about balance....we should all be able to splurge every now and then, but counter-balance that with either more exercise or less calories in another meal. If you ever crave anything just have it, but only a small portion. If you deprive yourself too much you will end up completely giving up, and have to start back at square one. Remeber you are not on a diet, you are making a life style change! If you are already over on your days worth of calories....just subtract from th next two or three days, depending on how much you went over. Hope my advice helps!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    To be more specific (my above link)

this is how (if I were in your situation) I would move towards solving your particular dilema. And probably in this order too.

1) Figure out why you have to say yes, and why you can't say no. I'm a big believer in the psychology of bad nutrition. By that I mean, I don't think people eat badly just to eat badly, I believe the reasons (and there are many, many reasons) people eat badly usually stem from other underlying issues that, once confronted can be at least partially mitigated, which can free up your mind to deal with the issues you have with food.

2) Find healthy foods you enjoy eating, and that fill you up, if you are excited about the lunch you have, you're less likely to really want to go out to eat. Don't rely on the fast food place having a healthy choice, more often than not, even their healthy choices aren't all that healthy.

3) Plan your food. I don't just mean write up your food schedule (that too), but make your food for the week ahead of time, spend some time, a few hours a week at least, making healthy meals and snacks to bring to work. You're much less likely to say yes to fast food if you spent 3 hours on Sunday dividing up and bagging a whole bunch of veggies, cooking up a healthy chilli, and stripping down a chicken into individual zip lock containers to put on your home made roast chicken salad. See what I mean?

4) Eat a snack right before your coworkers normally would ask you for lunch, if you're not hungry when they ask, you're less tempted to go do it.

As I said in my link, willpower is generated by force of conviction, but conviction is bolstered by a strong plan of attack, when you're confident you can succeed it makes the attempt much easier.

hope this helps.

-Banks
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    Thanks Banks I always welcome your advise and input