Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Help please..I am going over my sugar intake everyday

:sad: My diary is public. I have only just started here at MFP and I am going way over my sugar intake everyday.
I do not consider myself to be a big meal eater, my main problem is snacking on ALL the wrong things ALL day long. I am trying very hard to stop this and wanting to lose 10-15kgs.
Please, advice and recommendations on where I can change my sugar intake, are welcome and will be appreciated :flowerforyou:

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Well.... if you keep having that Biggest loser shake all the time, yeah, your sugars are going to be over everyday - but that is not your only problem.

You are ****NOT**** eating enough on the days you work out.... You are putting yourself at risk for illness, injury and other medical problems if you dont actually eat. Your net intake is way too low.

You really should ditch the shakes and learn how to have actual meals that have real proteins, vegetables, healthy fats....on a regular basis.... shakes are 'ok' but not for longevity purposes.

Better meal planning throughout the day would be key here.
  • omanitshann
    omanitshann Posts: 179
    I'd ditch the shakes. They don't seem that heathy if they contain that much sugar. Replace it with vegetables, or an actual meal.
  • tnorth82
    tnorth82 Posts: 186
    I stopped counting sugar as I was over every day from my fruit intake. I focus on fat, sat fat and calories.
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    I stopped counting sugar as I was over every day from my fruit intake. I focus on fat, sat fat and calories.

Why stop counting sugar and focus on fat? So are twizzlers and pop tarts the perfect food since they are low fat?
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    you need to eat more, especially during the days you exercise. can you find another shake not as high in sugar? plenty of people on here will be able to suggest alternatives for you
  • Well.... if you keep having that Biggest loser shake all the time, yeah, your sugars are going to be over everyday - but that is not your only problem.

You are ****NOT**** eating enough on the days you work out.... You are putting yourself at risk for illness, injury and other medical problems if you dont actually eat. Your net intake is way too low.

You really should ditch the shakes and learn how to have actual meals that have real proteins, vegetables, healthy fats....on a regular basis.... shakes are 'ok' but not for longevity purposes.
    I just am not THAT hungry, I have the shakes because I figure they are better than having nothing.. Oh and for night time meals I am actually having a lot more veges than I log. Still trying to work out how to add everything. We have steamed veges most nights for the week my husband is home [he works 1 week on 1 week off] including potato [I have 1/2 a potato] sweet potato, corn, carrots, fresh beans and broccoli.
    The week my husband is away, yes I get very slack with feeding myself. Still trying to figure all this out.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member

I stopped counting as well bc I eat alot of dairy and fruits. I pay attention to added sugar in foods and drinks; I try to avoid those.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Your daily sugar intake isn't actually very high, I wouldn't worry about it. I think the target number is pretty low.

If you don't mind me offering unsolicited advice I'd suggest there are other things that are a problem.

You aren't eating enough overall cals on some days
    Those meal replacement shakes are garbage, better off with food - more nutritious and more filling
    You've only been recording for a few days so it may not be truly indicative but it suggests you aren't eating nutritious, filling meals and are grazing on bits and pieces - some good (nuts) some bad pizza.

Browse the diaries of your MFP friends for some ideas if you need them, pls feel free to add me and you can browse mine also. It's quite a steep learning curve this fatloss lark so it's good to ask for help.
  • L33TBl0nde
    L33TBl0nde Posts: 54 Member

Why stop counting sugar and focus on fat? So are twizzlers and pop tarts the perfect food since they are low fat?

Was thinking the same WTF, if you read this womans diary, you would know that her sugar intake DOESN'T come from fruit. I agree, that fruit sugar is very well to take in - but candy bars and such is a bad idea in the long run.

My advice is to eat more and more healthy - eat veggies, fruit, protein - fill your stomach with good stuff and workout, don't eat as you do now, since you'll get even more hungry for candy. Find some sorts of fruit which you really enjoy and let that be your "treat"...
  • Just one of those shakes has almost all of your daily intake of sugar. Instead of having those why not try an egg white omelet with turkey bacon or a hard boiled egg and a banana. Eating fruits will also cause you to go over your sugar. Try substituting some vegetables instead of fruit sometimes. Like for a snack have some carrot sticks (not the baby carrots they have a lot of sugar) with 1 tbs. of low fat ranch. Honestly though I wouldn't worry so much about sugar. Look more at your calories and carbs. If your sugars are coming from fruits then they are not the refined white sugar that causes weight gain (the sugar in the shakes is refined however). Hope that all made sense! Good luck!
  • Try keeping just a little sugar in the house dont do completely without it will only make u want it worse, And really think about it before u stick it in your mouth,

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Those meal replacement shakes are garbage, better off with food - more nutritious and more filling
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 544 Member
    +1 for more real food to make it sustainable. Low Cal diets do work but they are hard to change to real life so once people start eating again then they tend to regain. I also have trouble with feeling full with shakes so I don't use them or Smoothies as a meal.

Your biggest loser shakes and mocha account for 60g of your 100g sugar intake. Try to figure out alternatives.

I have also upped my sugar limit as MFP seemed to be too low for some fruit and yogurt. As long as my macros and calories are close to target, my sugar is around 80g (@ over 1800c).
  • I have to agree with this also
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    You don't need to count sugars as it's a type of carb and if you are withing moderate carbs, you are fine. The biggest ones to track are Carbs, Protein, Fats and Sodium and even sodium is iffy. I still lose weight and cut fat with 4000+ mg of sodium and I have blood pressure of 110/70.

Here is what I see wrong with the diary. Most days, you bare get enough calories and furthermore, you bared get 50 g's of protein. I would also suggest dropping meal replacement shakes and get some good protein powder. I believe EAS is huge in Australia so I would get that and it's awesome. Also, you need to get your calories up; 900-1000 calories is only going to make you lose muscle and slow your progress. A body needs fuel in order to burn fat and lose weight. Too little and your body will conserve energy by storing whatever calories it gets as fat. Let me put it simple. Every women I have worked with to set up calories for is eating 1700+. Many of them are 2000+ and that is with mostly weight training and little cardio. So if you want to do this right, look up BMR and TDEE, estimate your TDEE and then cut 20%. Also make sure you are weight training (heavy enough you fail at 8-12 reps) and add a little cardio & yoga.

http://www.shapefit.com/basal-metabolic-rate.html
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Say it with me!

SHOOOOO
    GAHHHHH

=D
  • I stopped counting sugar as I was over every day from my fruit intake. I focus on fat, sat fat and calories.

Was thinking the same WTF, if you read this womans diary, you would know that her sugar intake DOESN'T come from fruit. I agree, that fruit sugar is very well to take in - but candy bars and such is a bad idea in the long run.

My advice is to eat more and more healthy - eat veggies, fruit, protein - fill your stomach with good stuff and workout, don't eat as you do now, since you'll get even more hungry for candy. Find some sorts of fruit which you really enjoy and let that be your "treat"...

Have you seen how much fruit I am eating?? and where are all my candy bars? 1 flake that I can remember, and as for the shakes I Have had 4 since starting here. Not every day. as for the Pizza it is a fortnightly dinner my husband brings home. I have gone from 4-5 slices to 2 small ones and I even cut them in half so they are not full size slices. i am making changes..
    I am still researching and learning all about healthier choices.
  • cramernh
    Say it with me!

SHOOOOO
    GAHHHHH

=D

I knew you would be around the corner! LOL!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Say it with me!

SHOOOOO
    GAHHHHH

=D

I knew you would be around the corner! LOL!

It's because he is a creeper, lol.
  • cramernh

Have you seen how much fruit I am eating?? and where are all my candy bars? 1 flake that I can remember, and as for the shakes I Have had 4 since starting here. Not every day. as for the Pizza it is a fortnightly dinner my husband brings home. I have gone from 4-5 slices to 2 small ones and I even cut them in half so they are not full size slices. i am making changes..
    I am still researching and learning all about healthier choices.

Listen - you asked for help and everyone here is helping and giving you some good tips and areas that we all see you definitely need to make changes on.

Its up to you to make the changes happen, otherwise, you can go on with the way you are doing things and ultimately be the reason why your health declines because you are simply not eating right, eating enough, nor getting the right kinds of foods in.