Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Say it with me!

SHOOOOO
    GAHHHHH

=D

I knew you would be around the corner! LOL!

It's because he is a creeper, lol.

But Dan is the kind of creeper you want around.... 8-)
  • happymiche
    happymiche Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'd substitute the shakes for smoothies--use unsweetened coconut, almond, or cow's milk, fresh (frozen) fruit, spinach, and unsweetened plain yogurt. You'll still see sugar on your diary, but it's healthy sugar--from the fruit.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Your shake is a big culprit. You may want to look for a very low sugar protein shake.
  • specialtreat
    Options
    You don't need to count sugars as it's a type of carb and if you are withing moderate carbs, you are fine. The biggest ones to track are Carbs, Protein, Fats and Sodium and even sodium is iffy. I still lose weight and cut fat with 4000+ mg of sodium and I have blood pressure of 110/70.

Here is what I see wrong with the diary. Most days, you bare get enough calories and furthermore, you bared get 50 g's of protein. I would also suggest dropping meal replacement shakes and get some good protein powder. I believe EAS is huge in Australia so I would get that and it's awesome. Also, you need to get your calories up; 900-1000 calories is only going to make you lose muscle and slow your progress. A body needs fuel in order to burn fat and lose weight. Too little and your body will conserve energy by storing whatever calories it gets as fat. Let me put it simple. Every women I have worked with to set up calories for is eating 1700+. Many of them are 2000+ and that is with mostly weight training and little cardio. So if you want to do this right, look up BMR and TDEE, estimate your TDEE and then cut 20%. Also make sure you are weight training (heavy enough you fail at 8-12 reps) and add a little cardio & yoga.

http://www.shapefit.com/basal-metabolic-rate.html
    Thank you :smooched: I am really struggling to get my head around all of the eat more to lose more. I still haven't worked out what BMR and TDEE are or how to work them out.... I haven't started weight training yet. Just getting into some sort walking routine and adding a bit of cardio in, then I will tackle weights.
    Also the link takes me to a website it says is no longer available?
  • smor27
    smor27 Posts: 87
    Options
    Ditch that Biggest loser shake.. that is your biggest issue, in my opinion. There are better alternatives. As for the yogurt try watch the nutrional values. Try to get higher the protein less sugar. Watch getting the yogurts with fruit already added they tend to be higher in sugars. Get plain if possible and maybe add your own fresh fruits. Watch your processed foods they tend to have higher sugar content go for things like fruits. Yes they also contain sugars however that sugar is better for you.
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is up in arms because the first day available has those two shakes. I went back a few days and I agree with you, that you actually don't drink them that much. It looks like most of your sugar is coming from fruit...I wouldn't worry about that kind of sugar. The days you have a shake I wouldn't have more than one and then I would really try not to eat anything else with "added" sugar the rest of the day.
  • kaylz0106
    kaylz0106 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I stopped counting sugar as I was over every day from my fruit intake. I focus on fat, sat fat and calories.

Why stop counting sugar and focus on fat? So are twizzlers and pop tarts the perfect food since they are low fat?

Was thinking the same WTF, if you read this womans diary, you would know that her sugar intake DOESN'T come from fruit. I agree, that fruit sugar is very well to take in - but candy bars and such is a bad idea in the long run.

My advice is to eat more and more healthy - eat veggies, fruit, protein - fill your stomach with good stuff and workout, don't eat as you do now, since you'll get even more hungry for candy. Find some sorts of fruit which you really enjoy and let that be your "treat"...

i only browed the last week but she actually get 31 in sugar from two piece of fruit, they were the highest sugar intake on her list so the highest amount is coming from fruit.....however, do agree this isnt a bad thing and I think that the OP should concentrate on getting some more calories in her before she struggles with counting all the other bits. If shakes are for convenience as they are with me, I know for a fact that there are hundreds of shakes available that are far far lower in sugar and will bump up your protein levels.

But as I say point 1 would be finding your footing with the calories. Takes a while to get your head around it all, still trying myself but it gets easier not sure if my diary is open for you to browse but feel free to add me if it isnt available.
  • SassetG
    SassetG Posts: 19
    Options
    Im not a dietician, but I know that supplements called Chromium Polynicotinate are supposed to help cut out sugar cravings. You should do some research on it. My brother is a chocoholic, and the supp's help with that for him.
  • specialtreat
    Options
    I stopped counting sugar as I was over every day from my fruit intake. I focus on fat, sat fat and calories.

Why stop counting sugar and focus on fat? So are twizzlers and pop tarts the perfect food since they are low fat?

Was thinking the same WTF, if you read this womans diary, you would know that her sugar intake DOESN'T come from fruit. I agree, that fruit sugar is very well to take in - but candy bars and such is a bad idea in the long run.

My advice is to eat more and more healthy - eat veggies, fruit, protein - fill your stomach with good stuff and workout, don't eat as you do now, since you'll get even more hungry for candy. Find some sorts of fruit which you really enjoy and let that be your "treat"...

Have you seen how much fruit I am eating?? and where are all my candy bars? 1 flake that I can remember, and as for the shakes I Have had 4 since starting here. Not every day. as for the Pizza it is a fortnightly dinner my husband brings home. I have gone from 4-5 slices to 2 small ones and I even cut them in half so they are not full size slices. i am making changes..
    I am still researching and learning all about healthier choices.

Listen - you asked for help and everyone here is helping and giving you some good tips and areas that we all see you definitely need to make changes on.

Its up to you to make the changes happen, otherwise, you can go on with the way you are doing things and ultimately be the reason why your health declines because you are simply not eating right, eating enough, nor getting the right kinds of foods in.
    Yes you are right I have indeed asked for help and I am taking on board all the information and suggestions, but to say my sugar is not coming from fruit and is coming from candy bars is just not true!! 3 small mandarins will put me over my sugar for the day, but surely they are better than grabbing a candy bar I would would normally have with a coffee?
    Yes the shakes are high in sugar. They are not an every day staple for me, if you look back past today you would see that!
  • specialtreat
    Options

i only browed the last week but she actually get 31 in sugar from two piece of fruit, they were the highest sugar intake on her list so the highest amount is coming from fruit.....however, do agree this isnt a bad thing and I think that the OP should concentrate on getting some more calories in her before she struggles with counting all the other bits. If shakes are for convenience as they are with me, I know for a fact that there are hundreds of shakes available that are far far lower in sugar and will bump up your protein levels.

But as I say point 1 would be finding your footing with the calories. Takes a while to get your head around it all, still trying myself but it gets easier not sure if my diary is open for you to browse but feel free to add me if it isnt available.

THANK YOU :smooched: :flowerforyou: yes I need to find my footing with my calories, and yes the shakes are for days when I am either just not very hungry but know I need to have something or for my really busy days, like today. I do have 5 children youngest being 2 1/2 and a husband that works out of town for a week at a time. Maybe a protein shake would be better for these times? Thank I will add you :smile:
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Fast snacks- string cheese, handful of nuts, Kind bars, individual plain greek yogurt, and many other things that have way less sugar than a shake. Like I said above, I wouldn't worry about one shake...but if you drink 2 in one day that is more sugar than a can of soda!

Maybe you could find another shake that has less sugar? Or better yet make a big back of smoothies and freeze them so you can grab them on the go? ( You can freeze them in individual paper cups).
  • davidduggin
    davidduggin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wll join the club.My yogurt has 11 grams. A banana is crazy with sugar. As a diabetic I monitor my sugar and it's getting better since I've joined MFP. Hang in there and good luck.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    When I started I had a big problem with sodium. Along with a host of other problems & issues!

What served me well was to make one change at a time. Once that change became a habit I picked something else to change and worked on that until it became a habit. And so on.

So as you have identified your sugar intake as a problem you want to attack. Make a small single change and go from there.

My suggestion would be to switch out something you eat regularly. Previous responses pointed out that you consume a lot of "shakes". Why not make a point of switching out the shakes at breakfast with something else? And then make the commitment to continue for 30 days. My bet is that after 30 days the new breakfast will become the "norm".

Note: Breakfast was one of my first changes. I went from fast food breakfast sandwiches and/or donut shop muffins to plain oatmeal with 1% milk. Ate that pretty much every day for a few months last year! Now I switch it up with yogurt, fruit, granola and multi grain toast. The important thing though is that I kicked the fast food habit!

Best of luck figuring out what will work for you.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You said you are new and struggling. Most of us know exactly how that feels. These are my suggestions:

1. Log everything you are eating. All fruits, veggies, candy bars, etc.
    2. Start making small changes - start by replacing one snack a day with fruit or veggie, or some other healthy item that you wouldn't normally eat.
    3. If you aren't hungry and have calories you need to eat - get some calorie dense healthy foods to add to your day - nuts, avacado, etc.
    4. Start preparing fresh whole meals - start with maybe one or two meals a week where you don't use anything from a package - get fresh meat, veggies, and use dried beans or bags of rice that don't include all the flavorings - add your own.

Don't be too hard on yourself. You will have good days, bad days, some that are in between. We all had to start somewhere and figure out what works for us and our families. You'll get it.
  • frixtine
    frixtine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    If you think fruits are too high in sugars for you, yuo could try a sweet vegetable alternative too, like red, orange, or yellow bell peppers. I personally LOVE them. I can eat them like an apple! If you like, you can cut them into strips and have them in a ziploc ready to snack.

Me and my dad have our garden going and have tons of different varieties of peppers growing. One variety is a bite size pepper! It might not help you right now, but it's not too late to plant some! Eat all you can and then freeze or pickle the rest!
  • tnorth82
    tnorth82 Posts: 186
    Options

I was referring to fruit sugars, I dont eat processed foods like twizzlers. I found I was going over my sugar just with 2 pieces of fruit, however my fat, sat fat and calories were still under!

Its easy to go over your sugar just with fruit.