Running Wtih Shin Splints?

Options
bjshields
bjshields Posts: 677 Member
Good morning campers! I am training for triathlon season, have been doing a lot of biking on trails and swim-bike-run or swim-run bricks at the gym. This week, I've been on the treadmill quite a bit because of bad weather here. I am NOT a runner by nature, and I am slow. I've gotten up to 3 intervals -- rounds of 6 mins. at a time @ 5.5 mph, then 2 min. walking. Like I said, I'm not a runner. :blushing:

I noticed this morning that my shins are hurting a little. I am getting ready to go hit the treadmill again, since I can't bike today. Any of you runners have suggestions as to how to handle shin splints? Should I continue to run in spite of them?

Thanks for any help!:drinker:

Replies

• mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Rest. If you keep going it will only make them worse!
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    My track coach said that if you sit down and tap your foot like you're waiting on someone to hurry up, that helps with shin splints!
  • JennieDNP
    JennieDNP Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ice them down and stay off your feet... try water aerobics or better yet... deep water aerobics! light to no impact and a great work out!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    You will do more damage and prolong recovery if you run on them. Find a different activity to do!!
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is helpful at all but I had terrible shin splints until I bought the Rebox Flex shoes and I have had literally zero problems with my shins since.
  • sailorsiren13
    sailorsiren13 Posts: 460
    Options
    check into trigger point therapy I just picked up the system from my local running store last night and i already feel tons better. how are your shoes?
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Stretching and ice and rest. In the winter of 2011, I was getting them really badly. I found some stretches on line to do, and started doing ice baths after my long runs and really cut back on my overall mileage.
  • maryduggins
    maryduggins Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I used to get them like CRAZY. They're awful!!!

I got them from using a cheap pair of running shoes :/ I now have a good pair of Asics that I LOVE dearly(: I have to wear an insole for a little extra cushion, but all in all they're great.

Some stretches for shin splints - in case that's what this is:

On the balls of your feet, stand on a ledge (like a stair) with your heels hanging off. Hold for 50-60 seconds. Then bend your knees slightly and hold again.

Sit down on the floor. Put one leg out straight in front of you and hold the ends of a towel with your hands. With the ball of your foot, push the towel away from you (move your foot around, too. Don't just hold it in one position, move it back and forth, etc.) while you pull ends of the towel toward yourself. Do this for 30 seconds on each foot.

Other than that, ice them down after you run. Because I use these stretches every time I run, my shin splints don't even hurt anymore(: Buuuuut if I even run for 45 seconds and I haven't stretched, It'll hurt that day :/
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Rest. Ice. Continuing to push will very likely hinder you more. (I recover through the rare moments when I got shin splints in my life at a very quick rate and just ran through them, I also have been a runner/active on my feet person from 4 years old.) If you continue to push, you can actually turn it into a more severe injury, it is recommended to switch to your other training or keep off of it.

Go see a running store for shoes that properly compliment your running. This is incredibly important. They will have you work through tons of shoes and watch you run until they see the pair that is going to work best for you. Proper shoe really can make a world of difference.
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I used to get them like CRAZY. They're awful!!!

I got them from using a cheap pair of running shoes :/ I now have a good pair of Asics that I LOVE dearly(: I have to wear an insole for a little extra cushion, but all in all they're great.

Some stretches for shin splints - in case that's what this is:

On the balls of your feet, stand on a ledge (like a stair) with your heels hanging off. Hold for 50-60 seconds. Then bend your knees slightly and hold again.

Sit down on the floor. Put one leg out straight in front of you and hold the ends of a towel with your hands. With the ball of your foot, push the towel away from you (move your foot around, too. Don't just hold it in one position, move it back and forth, etc.) while you pull ends of the towel toward yourself. Do this for 30 seconds on each foot.

Other than that, ice them down after you run. Because I use these stretches every time I run, my shin splints don't even hurt anymore(: Buuuuut if I even run for 45 seconds and I haven't stretched, It'll hurt that day :/

This sounds more like Plantar Fasciitis stuff for stretches. May work same, just know that is what was needed when I was having issues with that. (Dr Schools insole, fixed it immediately.)
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is helpful at all but I had terrible shin splints until I bought the Rebox Flex shoes and I have had literally zero problems with my shins since.
    agreed. shoes are really important when it comes to running (as is foot strike). if you can find some shoes that are perfect for you and try to avoid heel striking, it will make a world of difference.
    i used to run in, i think, nike lunarglides for awhile, and then i switched to the nike frees. i used to get bad shin splints all the time with the lunarglides and i'm about to finish up 300+ miles of half marathon training in two pairs of frees and i haven't had shin splints once.
    once you have them, though, don't run! definitely take a few days off from running and ice! foam rolling might help, too.