Anyone with Crohn's Disease?

Options
Was hoping to find a few friends that have Crohn's Disease...I was diagnosed in 2005. One would think we could shed weight easy, eesh...NOT! Anyways I have been suffering from symptoms the last few days and thought having support and or what others go through might help! Feel free to add me! Thanks!

Replies

• jennhamps
    jennhamps Posts: 28
    Options
    bump
  • LitheOrangeRose
    Options
    Hey. They think I might have Crohn's Disease. I was somewhat officially diagnosed Feb '11 but haven't really felt better since then haha. I've noticed most things on Crohn's focus on how to gain weight and not how to lose weight if you have it. Rather frustrating. If you figure anything out that works, I'd be interested in hearing it. I am managing to lose weight but I feel like all I eat is cheese and rice crackers and salmon, with the occasional cooked green beans or cooked carrots.
  • deez2015
    deez2015 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've had it since 1995. Not fun and definitely does not make it easier to lose weight. I've figured out (mostly) what triggers a "flare-up" and try to stay away from those foods or at least not eat them as often.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed in 2008 myself.

Lithe, the weight issue varies alot depending on the medication. People on prednisone particularly struggle too much weight gain. Those with extended flares often have excessive weight loss. There is a decent forum on exercise and activity for folks with Crohn's at chronsforum.com, and there is also a group here on MFP though it's not nearly as active.
  • JoBfit4life
    JoBfit4life Posts: 35
    Options
    Yes me!! I was diagnosed 20+ years ago. I manage to stay relatively well through food choices and exercise. I've been on steroids a lot and have had yoyo weight issues due to this.
    I have sent you a friend request. If you need anyone to chat to I'm here. I've undergone most tests and lots of treatments over the years!
    Good luck and stay well!
    Jo
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I had U/C for a number of years before having surgery to have my large intestine removed. I know it's not exactly the samr but the drugs/diets/yoyo weight/embarrassing issues are similar! add me if you like :)
    My manager as crohns as does one of my friends so i like to think i know quite a bit about it!

Evelyn
  • LitheOrangeRose
    Options
    Nerple - thanks for the tip. I was diagnosed with a mild variant of Crohns last year and they tried other meds before putting me on a low dose of prednisone 8 weeks ago. The only way I lost weight during that time was when I was actively trying to lose weight and I actually managed to lose about 5 lbs while on the prednisone, believe it or not. I will definitely check out the link you mentioned, it seems like it will be very helpful!
  • chiquitatwist
    chiquitatwist Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Crohn's last February. Feel free to add me :-)
  • Aidan_Evolves
    Aidan_Evolves Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a new Crohnie - diagnosed exactly a week ago after struggling with intermittent flares from August - October, then an almost constant one from February - now. Glad to finally know what's wrong, not so excited because my GI has me on a prednisone taper and I've read the laundry list of side effects (including weight gain). I just started taking it last night, 40mg/day for two weeks then tapering 5mg per week. I have been reading (at CrohnsForum, I believe) that a low-carb diet can help circumvent some of the water retention/weight gain effects... anyone find this to be true? I'm a vegetarian so that's an added challenge, but I'm willing to jump on the low-carb if it'll keep me from undoing all my hard work up to this point (196-144).

Novel of a backstory aside, feel free to add me. :) I haven't been very active lately but I am making sure now to very carefully track everything to monitor symptoms, touchy foods, etc.
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hi - diagnosed with Crohn's Disease 5 years ago but am currently in remission . Prednisone was definitely a prob and After having weight issues for most of my life - I reached an all time high even though prior to diagnosis the ongoing diarrhoea brought about considerable weight loss. I only hope that this remission keeps continuing as I don't want to return to being sick or being on pred.
  • viscumin
    viscumin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed in November of last year. I've been out of commission for the last year because of it, which sucks. I lost a lot of weight from it and was down to 119 at my lowest. That was because of being unable to get nutrients from food and I needed to gain weight but I still liked how it looked when I was skinnier. I'm now at 141 (my highest) and trying to get down to 120 without being malnourished from the disease. It's weird . I went from 119 to 141 in 3 months and logically I know that was a good thing because it meant tat I was absorbing nutrients but it still isn't fun.