Chills After Running

Options
HauteP1nk
HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
After every run I feel super cold and chilled to the bone lately! Does anyone else get like this? What do you think causes it?

When I get home I have to bundle up in my thermal house coat and blanket, and I even put a heater on me to warm up! It lasts for hours afterwards.

Some background on my running:

I have been running since January - so i am a beginner.
I run for 4.5km - 6.5km each time.
I do run outside.
I wear appropriate clothing based on the temperatures outside, and base my clothing choices on the fact that during running our body generally goes up about 10 degrees.
The clothing is for runners as well (Dryfit clothing), so they wick away the sweat.
As well, I am usually pretty hot during the run, but not overheating.
I always get out of my running clothes ASAP too.

Replies

• pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    My body temperature drops quickly after running. The best thing for me is to take a shower as soon as possible and get out of my sweaty running clothes. That usually takes care of it for me.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I think it's just your body reminding you that you live in the Great White North :tongue:
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing after a cycle ride sometimes. I'm hot and sweaty while I'm out riding, then about 10 minutes after I get home I get chilled. I was out in a 45 degree rain for 3 hours last week wearing inadequate gear, so I expected to be cold when I got home, but I was FRIKKIN COLD even after a hot shower.

I do find that my body is depleted after a hard ride, so in a lot of cases a snack and a few large glasses of lukewarm water helps a bit and stokes the ol' furnace again.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    My body temperature drops quickly after running. The best thing for me is to take a shower as soon as possible and get out of my sweaty running clothes. That usually takes care of it for me.

Same for me. I get so that my fingers tips will turn white and almost go numb until I take a hot shower.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I think it's just your body reminding you that you live in the Great White North :tongue:

Well I think 20 degrees celsius outside are perfect conditions for outdoor running...any warmer while running and I'd probably die...haha (thats about 68 fahrenheit).
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    This is normal for long runs, that is why they give you these weird plastic blakets after a half or full marathon. Just cover up after, cool down and eat something.
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Food. Your body needs food. After a big workout, your body immediately goes into recovery mode, and all of the energy you have goes into repairing the stress you just put your body through. The problem - if it was a long, or just a particularly tough workout, you have no glycogen stores left. As a result, your body starts diverting energy from other essential functions (like thermoregulation) to repair.

I find my body temperature always drops right after a long run, and if I leave it too long, I get feverish and nauseated. But drinking chocolate milk immediately (ie. getting some sugar and protein into your body asap - don't go with sugarfree anything in this instance...you actually need the sugar) minimizes this effect. But you're not done, you need to actually get food into your body too. So drink your chocolate milk while you're cooking some good clean food. My go-to post-workout meal is a serving of pasta with some tuna and veggies and a splash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Eat this, and you'll feel fantastic for the rest of the day.
  • ljplunkett
    ljplunkett Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this question. I have not really experienced this after walk/run, it happens every time after my Zumba class! I will start using some of these suggestions!
  • chrisms84
    chrisms84 Posts: 8
    Options
    This happens to me sometimes as well, for me I think its Adrenaline because it usually only happens after I have surpassed my previous longest distance.

Iv'e never experienced it while bike riding.
  • nyspotlight
    nyspotlight Posts: 124
    Options
    SALT!!!

You may have excreted electrolytes in your sweat. Many of us are "salty sweaters." Next time you run, check the sweaty areas on your clothes. Sometimes you can even see white, kinda crusty bits of salt. Not cute, but good to know.

When i was marathon training, I'd eat a salt packet a couple times on looooong runs. If you're just doing a regular daily run of an hour or less, you won't need anything so dramatic. You can try nuun tablets for electrolytes with no calories or artificial sweeteners. Or coconut water. Or gatorade - but I don't like all the chemicals. You can make your own with water with lemon, honey, and a pinch of salt.

Or just have a salty snack afterward.

Hope that helps!
  • slowrunner71
    Options
    This happens to me. It happened to me last night, and I am still chilled today. Hence the reason
    I typed this question into Google. I am just glad that I'm not an anomaly! Nice to see some of the
    suggestions on here, I'll give them a whirl. :)
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too. However everyone in my running group says it gets better the longer you have been running.
  • angeladelaney
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this post. I've been running for about a month and half now, a few times a week. I keep getting chills all day. Thought I was coming down with something but looks like this might be normal. I will try some chocolate milk :)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Happens to me on occasion after long runs. In the summer, once I get out of my (very) sweaty clothes, shower, and eat, I'm okay.

In cooler weather, I get those chills more. I'm now cold natured, so I make sure to eat something for recovery quickly after the run, get showered, and wear warmer clothes for awhile.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Your body is "shunting" and blood is going to your vitals. Rehydrate, replenish, and recover.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Happens to me if I've over-done it. Chocolate milk after a run works wonders for me. And the salt thing for sure. I have salt on my face after a long run so I have to make sure to use fuel with electrolytes during my run.